Running for weight loss?

Options
I am reading so much contradiction information online so I'd figure I'd ask people who may know. Is it possible with appropriate calorie restriction to lose weight running. Keeping in mind I would increase distance+ intensity. I have about 30 lbs to go and I really love to run but don't wanna waste time if more is needed.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    With appropriate calorie restriction, it's possible to lose weight running or not running. The caloric deficit is the important part, hence the saying "You can't out-train a bad diet". The bigger advantage running provides is improving your cardiovascular fitness.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Run because you want to run. Not to lose weight. If you already are a runner, yes you can lose weight by caloric restriction, just make sure you're eating back at least 1/2 of your exercise calories burnt by running. And use a HRM to know what kind of calories you're burning through running.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    absolutely, I found it very good especially for fat burn

you get fitter, you lose weight and your mood improves as well

but do it wisely, eat back a bit of your calories, as you also need to fuel your runs
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    It is possible to build your running while eating at a reasonable deficit.

From September 2014 to April 2015 I lost 45 pounds without adopting calorie tracking - clearly my increased activity, mostly from running - had everything to do with that. I lost a further 35 pounds after starting calorie tracking and putting myself on a slightly larger deficit.

All the while I was running, going from a mere 2km run when I started last September to 250 - 300km a month now.

I don't run to eat more. I run because I want to be a better runner, because I enjoy it. I believe I've lost more and more consistently as a result of running for a number of reasons including but not limited to: the increased activity; new muscle (yes, running builds muscle, legs have some pretty big ones); improvements in metabolism, improved fitness and awareness of same leading to dedication to follow through on diet etc.

Of course the biggest win from all this is my running is vastly improved. Receiving a hugely positive annual check up was nice too.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I am reading so much contradiction information online so I'd figure I'd ask people who may know. Is it possible with appropriate calorie restriction to lose weight running. Keeping in mind I would increase distance+ intensity. I have about 30 lbs to go and I really love to run but don't wanna waste time if more is needed.

Your weight loss comes from your calorie deficit, the running helps you to achieve that.

If you enjoy running, then continue running, the main thing is that this is sustainable. If you do something because you need to then you're less likely to sustain it longer term.

That said, it's useful to weave in some resistance training of some kind to help balance out the running and help with the body composition.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Just to remind those responding... The OP had made this much clear:
    I really love to run

@shaynataggart You'll find dozens if not hundreds or thousands of people here on MFP who mixed running and significant weight loss goals together and came out the other side being successful at BOTH.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Standing by the the usual onslaught of you need to stop running and lift heavy One True Way (tm) posts
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Is it possible with appropriate calorie restriction to lose weight running.

Yes.

There is conflicting information online as it is sometimes argued that running is not an optimal use of time for body composition purposes (usually seen through a body building focus.) From this position all sorts of foolishness arises.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says you don't lose weight running doesn't run very often! Yes you will lose weight as long as you track calories and hit a good balance. Weight training is also important. Do both.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    With appropriate calorie restriction, it's possible to lose weight running or not running. The caloric deficit is the important part, hence the saying "You can't out-train a bad diet". The bigger advantage running provides is improving your cardiovascular fitness.

^^ +1
  • MichelleMyBelle86
    MichelleMyBelle86 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Anything that helps you burn calories will help you lose weight!
    As others have said, it's all about calorie deficit - running burns a lot of calories so of course it will help you, so long as you don't eat back all the calories you lose :)
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    All comes down to calories in < calories out. Just avoid too big a calorie deficit after taking into account your running, I don't go lower than a 20% deficit.

People say that too much long-distance running can cause muscle wasting, not sure if that's true, but I prefer short fast hilly runs, 3 miles max, they strengthen the legs very nicely.

I did an exchange year in the US when I was a student and would go to the gym (my upper body was really skinny), and the guys there (many of who had massive upper bodies but skinny legs), would ask me what I do to get my legs in such good shape, the answer was just running, fast, with lots of uphill.
  • JoeLeanMachine
    JoeLeanMachine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Running or fast cycling work great to get you more healthy and burn lots of calories

Watch your intake and enjoy the health benefits of exercise

It is a double win for you!

If you want to have a lean sculplred body, consider a good cardio and then muscle building group of exercises

It is fun to reconstruct your new body. You have much more control than you may think.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I really love to run but don't wanna waste time if more is needed."

Can you waste time doing something you love?
    Is doing something you love EVER a WASTE of time?

Funny thing with running: if you love it and do it, it will always lead to more.

Running burns caloires, so it will help create your calorie deficit which will lead to weight loss.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

A calorie restriction is all you need to lose weight. If you want to help create a deficit by running more, by all means do it, but it isn't necessary. Many who are trying to lose weight start out from a place of no exercise so adding in walking, running, lifting, swimming, bicycling, etc. is a great idea for both cardio and body recomposition, as well as a higher calorie deficit. Since you already run, your fitness level is better than many just starting out, so you may only need to adjust the "calories in" part of the equation to lose (calories in<calories out)

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    If your in a calorie deficit you will loose weight (exercise or not). Running is great for cardiovascular (heart) health and is a great way to give you more calories to eat if your diet is to restrictive. However, you cant outrun a bad diet. I used to run ten miles a day, 1100 extra calories burned. But I just used this as a reason to eat loads more food so I was just spinning my wheels really. Although I did get fitter I also burned a lot of muscle because I hadn't discovered lifting at that stage.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Thousands, if not millions of people have used running to lose weight. Its all about not over compensating and feeling that you can go overboard with your eating because you ran. I do feel that for many people, running is only going to get you so far. And that may be perfectly fine, but it's just something to keep in mind.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if it helps you reach your calorie deficit, then it's worth it especially if you like it. I started running because I needed a greater calorie deficit. So far so good
  • caileelouise
    caileelouise Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Any cardio, running included, will help you get the much desired calorie deficit :)
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I lost nearly 3 stone over 3 years purely by running 3 times a week (totalling 12-19 miles), without changing any eating habits. Obviously I was burning off more than I was eating but I didn't focus on my diet at the time. So it worked for me, but all you're ultimately doing is creating a larger deficit which you can also do by eating less.