Weakness During Visit Home!

Options
Boy oh boy! I went home to Pittsburgh this past weekend to watch my niece graduate from high school. Left Friday, June 3 and returned Monday, June 7. Didn't log in any of the food that I ate and most of it was not good anyway. Ice cream, pastries, fried food. All the things that I have avoided for almost 8 months. I tried my best to follow my regular eating habits, but to no avail, I failed. For reasons I don't wish to get into, my sister, niece and nephew ate out everyday. The places that we dined at didn't offer many healthy options, but I made due with what I thought would come close. So now I'm back at home on Long Island and am resuming my normal eating habits. Not gonna beat myself up over this because I know most, if not all of us have gone through this. My next test will be when I go away again at the end of this month for a little longer.

I would love to hear from my MFP peeps to see how they deal with eating while away from home. I'm sure this topic has been broached, but I'm curious as to what others have done to stay on track while away.

Can't wait to hear from folks!

Cheers!

Replies

• SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hiner001
    Hiner001 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello fellow Pittsburgher!

I have a hard time when visiting home as well. I always take a cooler with me and take extra fruit and healthy snacks. We usually eat out as well so I try for healthier options like a house salad or a lean steak....but I know how Pittsburghers eat! It hard but dont let all ur hard work go to waste and the number one rule is dont beat urself up; u deserve a few cheat days once in awhile.
  • stephajo
    stephajo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too :( I always try and have all the right intentions to eat healthy when i'm at home but it never happens...I'm curious to know if anyone has any helpful hints too??? Maybe telling our family that we're trying to eat healthier and for some support might help?
  • paced2day
    paced2day Posts: 55
    Options
    It helps to have your healthy snacks in easy reach so that when people are just visiting, eating, and talking you can be too- but at least its healthier for you. Drink water at the restaurants. Chew slowly. Waste food- its painful when you've paid for it on vacation but do it. Then whatever you've overdone- forgive quick. Do sit-ups and squats while you visit or watch TV at night. Now that I'm home from vacation I'm drinking as much water as possible and eating as many fruits as I can. It also helped to have one day after I got home to stay away from the scale, straighten up and fly right, then deal with the gain reasonably. Think of it as a neat up/down for your progress bar graph. WE CAN DO IT!!!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I bring my food when I go to visit my parents. I bring my meal replacement shakes, pretzels, oranges, apples, etc., the stuff I know they don't normally have.

If I know where I'm going out to eat or a good idea of the menu I look up healthy options on my phone. Then I know what to order, or a lot of fast food restaurants have a nutrition guide with low cal, low fat and low carb options. Otheriwse I hover around the veggie platters.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Home visits are my nutritional nemesis.
    BUT Vacations are much easier to do--at least if I'm eating all of my meals out with family I can't binge! I order healthy things: salads (sans cheese and dressing) and low-carb dishes. Since I'm in public all the time, I'm less likely to let myself eat enough to get bloated.