What's for breakfast?

Options
I am looking to add more protein into breakfast. I don't like eggs or oatmeal so it limits my choices. Any ideas? My breakfast usually consist of a greek yogurt smoothie with fruit, but I find myself hungry after about an hour. I could add powered protein but have no clue how or what to buy. Any suggestions would be great!!!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Meat.

There's no law saying you must stick with traditional "breakfast" foods :)
  • Cantstopmyshine1993
    Options
    I had steak
  • stefankruithof
    stefankruithof Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My ideal breakfast is a combination of some type of dairy, fruit, and some complex carbs. In my personal experience complex carbs help keep me feeling full, so you might want to try something like bread with peanut butter. While the protein-to-kcal balance isn't great for either bread or peanut butter, they do combine to make complete protein (nuts and grains are both incomplete, but complement one another). Mixing rice through dairy products is another great way to include complex carbs in a high-protein breakfast.

Here are some examples of my typical breakfast, maybe you'll find something you like :)

a49ucua85zxn.jpg

The above is 570 kcal, 35g of protein (mostly due to the buttermilk). It's a liter of low-fat buttermilk, a piece of crispbread, and various types of melon.

5svax7lxwk9b.jpg

This one is 615 kcal with a whopping 56g of protein (mostly due to the Skyr). It's 450g of Icelandic Skyr, an excellent source of protein. Then there's an apple and a currant bun.

ndf6hoe254hb.jpg

Here's a 700 kcal breakfast which I particularly enjoy. It has 29g of protein. It's a mix of low-fat yoghurt, rice, raisins, and quinoa. (With an apple for good measure.)

I very much enjoy mixing various types of rice and seeds with various types of dairy products, in my experience it keeps you full the longest!
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    All Bran has 14g of protein per 100, so it's 40% more than most other cereals I've found.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    thanks this was helpful. I thought about eating meat but I always have to had a side! lol I would love to eat high protein cereal but I work in a detention center and cannot have a metal spoon and eating cereal with a plastic spoon is GROSS!!!!!
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You could always make protein pancakes! They're easy and yummy all on their own so you can just throw them in a baggie and head out the door- no syrup necessary. I know these contain both eggs and oatmeal but you can't even taste either one of them in the pancake. I usually cut this recipe in half to make 1 serving for me:

1 egg + 3 egg whites
    1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
    1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 tablespoon splenda/stevia

Instructions: Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Spray a small non-stick frying pan with cooking spray and turn heat to medium. Add pancake mixture to pan, cook until edges are firm. Flip, and cook 1-2 more minutes.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Breakfast sandwiches: you can make in the microwave in just over a minute, or pre make them and freeze.

English muffin of choice, sausage/meat patty of choice (I prefer morningstar farms veggie sausage), cheese, one egg scrambled in a bowl.

24 grams protein, 300 calories.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    Options
    You could always make protein pancakes! They're easy and yummy all on their own so you can just throw them in a baggie and head out the door- no syrup necessary. I know these contain both eggs and oatmeal but you can't even taste either one of them in the pancake. I usually cut this recipe in half to make 1 serving for me:

1 egg + 3 egg whites
    1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
    1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 tablespoon splenda/stevia

Instructions: Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Spray a small non-stick frying pan with cooking spray and turn heat to medium. Add pancake mixture to pan, cook until edges are firm. Flip, and cook 1-2 more minutes.

Wow those sound great I can't wait to try them. Thanks
  • prettygirlstorm1
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Breakfast sandwiches: you can make in the microwave in just over a minute, or pre make them and freeze.

English muffin of choice, sausage/meat patty of choice (I prefer morningstar farms veggie sausage), cheese, one egg scrambled in a bowl.

24 grams protein, 300 calories.

Great idea minus the egg!!! Thanks
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Definitely try nonfat greek yogurt.
    I like to add almonds, cinnamon, and low fat granola <3

The protein from the yogurt, the healthy fats from the almonds, the antioxidants from the cinnamon and the sugar from the granola.
  • nbottin
    nbottin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Giant bowl of steel cut oats and frozen blueberries. You have to use frozen blueberries! Life changing!!