Losing before surgery

ok...found out that I'm too heavy for a safe bypass. The surgeon told me that I have to lose 60lbs before a surgery date could be set. It was a horrible realization to have halfway through the informational meeting.

So the journey began...

Insurance requires a 6mo medically supervised diet, so I accepted that I could lose 10lbs a month. After losing 10lbs, I had my first appointments (medical screening, bloodwork, upper GI, X-rays, meet surgeon, and meet with dietitians). I was Sooo happy to be 10lbs AHEAD of the game. During this meeting, the surgeon asked that I lose an additional 60 (note:that takes me to 70 total before I can even have surgery!!). I was in full blown panic mode before I met with the dietician. During that appointment, they said that this counted as month #1!!! Aghhhhh. Now I have 60 more lbs to lost in 5 months?!?!?!

Cue full blown panic...did I mention that I quit smoking that week as well AGHHHHH

2 months in...not losing that fast

Month 3, switched to full Advocare diet mode. Pounds start falling off! I reached a total loss of 47lbs! Then I hit a plateau. Now I have 23lbs to lose in 6 weeks! Any advice?

I'd love to connect with anyone going through a similar journey!

Replies

• lexiJ95
    lexiJ95 Posts: 22 Member
    Advocare has helped me more than words can explain! I lost 23" and 22# in about two months.
    Everyone is different but I found for me, when I hit my plateau, I started taking the fiber everyday and bumped my catalyst up to 9-12 a day. I also focused on my protein more and I was out of the plateau in no time.
    Again, every body is different but maybe this is worth a shot for you as well.
    Best of luck & keep your chin up!
  • behnybaby
    behnybaby Posts: 106 Member
    Hope your closer to your goal, I am sure the doctor just wanted to be sure the surgery could be as safe as possible. I have not gone through the journey you are but wanted to tell you I think your strength and determination is amazing. Good luck as you continue along for this is only the start of a long road. I am sure you can achieve your goal keep on moving. If you need someone to listen, I am here. A Friend.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Thank you sooooo much lexiJ95 and behnybaby!! I am much closer now...9lbs to go in 2 weeks. I noticed that my hands are a little swollen so I'm going to have to take a diuretic and start in on the advocare fiber again. Tic toc tic toc!
  • behnybaby
    Let me know how all this works out for you. I am considering sleeve. This is my like can I really do this on my own best effort. I am at the point, how many times can I loose these same pounds. I would prefer to work it on my own but I never lost easily and never maintained for long. Definitely Carb sensitive, I know from the past to keep the low and works best with low veggies only. But health wise it is hard to live with forever.
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Hi. I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm scheduled for surgery in march and needed to lose 50#. I've managed 16 so far. It's a difficult battle. I've lost and gained several times,each time gaining back more. This time I am totally committed to eat for my health.
  • behnybaby
    Been on this Roller Coaster since I am 11 and I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. Losing the same weight over and over, and gaining a bunch additional.
  • _flawedperfectly_
    _flawedperfectly_ Posts: 34 Member
    I see the trolls are out today