Burn more calories in the heat?

Options
Just out of curiosity, when it's hot out do you burn more calories than if you go to the gym to do the same thing? Like if I walk on the track outside when it's 95 degrees, does it burn more than if I walk on the treadmill at my climate controlled gym?

Replies

• mallymoo86
    mallymoo86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't know how it would work for anyone else but my heart rate monitor tells me that I do.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Well, I do!!

I live in the desert and I can do the same outdoor walk (speed and mileage) and if I can keep it up in the heat (vs. winter months when it is more mild temps), I burn more calories according to my HRM.

Why? Could guess......... but I'd rather hear from an expert!
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    i would say that you certainly lose more sweat which equates to water weight loss for sure....but as for actual caloric loss, im not quite sure.
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Strap on a HRM and find out?:smile:
  • CRmom2
    CRmom2 Posts: 73
    Options
    It is possible because when your body gets too hot and cools itself your heart rate increases. Not sure if it would be a whole lot though. Can't wait to see if someone is able to give an answer.
  • FryingPanda
    Options
    Could be because when it is hot, your body needs to do more to thermoregulate.
  • FryingPanda
    Options
    Also if you think about hot yoga, I think you burn a lot of calories in that compared to regular yoga.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It would make more sense that you burn more calories when it's cold as you need to heat your body. You are more flexible and less prone to injury when it's hot, though.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    I recently researched this very topic since I live in AZ and run in the the heat.

The conclusion: you lose about 5% more calories from running outdoors vs treadmill (wind, terrain, and elevation changes), but the calorie burn from outside temperatures isn't significant enough to consider. I read several studies that had the same synopsis. I was really hoping for better news.
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    I can think about it for both heat and cold temperatures.

When it's cold the partial pressure of oxygen in the atmosphere decreases a tad causing your HR to maintain a good flow of oxygen. Your respiratory system also warms the air you breathe a bit which uses up energy. It's similar when you drink cold water instead of warm water. Energy is transferred and your body needs to maintain heat...

When it's hot you're sweating water and your heart has to maintain pressure so that also can cause your heart to work faster.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    It would make more sense that you burn more calories when it's cold as you need to heat your body. You are more flexible and less prone to injury when it's hot, though.

I had read the same thing while researching the "hot" topic. I never could find a formula to calculate extra burned calories though. Just sprinkle a few extra 'burned calories' into your exercise log, and that should be sufficient. :wink:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    There should really be an exercise listing for shivering.
  • AmandaArnwine
    Options
    Yes, if your workouts are consistent in length and intensity.

Sweating is part of your excretion & cooling process and when you work out more body fluids leave including water and electrolytes; increased oxygen uptake & breathing rates are experienced while blood flow through the body works to accommodate the whole process. As temperatures increase, so too does the rates of these processes based on the increased demands. The result is increased sweat and quicker fatigue. If you can work out for the same amount of time under these conditions, you will burn more calories and use more body fat for energy.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help everyone! I spent all day outside today walking and playing tennis and I was wondering if I should add more calories since it was 95 out today.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    My cousin and I were just pondering this same question - we figured since it takes so much more effort to exercise in the heat - surely it must burn more, but we weren't certain. Glad to see some answers on this :)