Dealing with Halloween, Thanksgiving, and other special occasions

Options

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat at maintenance for a lot of these occasions :]
    May even cut back on some days so I can go over maintenance and still be winning!
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water before your dinners. Take small portions of everything so you don't feel like you're missing out on a specific goodie. Have seconds or leftovers... log it all and enjoy. Eat at maintenance for those days or the week of each.. then back to the grind when it's all over.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Since you also asked about lower calorie alcohol options, any liquor with a non-caloric mixer (diet soda, water, etc.) is a good option. Also, you could do light beer to save some calories (usually about 30/beer over the normal, depending on what you're drinking). My two "go to" drinks if I'm at a bar (where non-caloric mixer options are usually more limited) are rum and diet cola or a flavored vodka and soda water with lime. I get both "tall" which means they have more of the mixer but the same amount of alcohol; this helps them last longer. If you're at a house, you can pretty much make most mixed drinks without calories by providing your own no or lower calorie mixer options, such as diet tonic, sprite, juice, crystal light flavorings, etc. I've even made my own simple syrup with splenda for lower calorie mojitos and margaritas.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    The day of holidays are "no counting" days for me.

Leading up to and after the actual day, I track everything. I'll still eat treats, but they get worked into my calorie allowance.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I actually started counting calories a week before Thanksgiving last year, but thankfully I had already decided not to embark on an aggressive weight loss plan. So I was able to eat what I wanted but chose smaller portions. The trick is portion control. For example, instead of two spoonfuls of mashed potatoes, get one spoonful. I have found that a lot of weight loss is visual and mental. If you see a plate with your favorite foods that you can enjoy you will mentally relax and be able to enjoy those occasions. I've lost 24 pounds in nearly a year which may be slow to some but I'm happy with my progress. You can do this!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I plan on completely letting go on Thanksgiving day and through the two weeks that we will be traveling over Christmastime through New Years. The two weeks we will be traveling will be rough but I will be visiting family that I don't get to see any other time, so I will not stress over the pounds I'll most likely gain. I have the right tools and knowledge, and the rest of the year, to get rid of anything I probably will gain during that time. Even if I put on 10 pounds, it's not going to ruin me.

I have done a preliminary Thanksgiving day calorie count just for giggles, and I probably will consume well over 3,000 calories that day alone. Do I care? Nope. It'll be worth every single calorie from every, single delicious bite of everything I make from the stuffing to the cheesecake and the extremely decadent carrot cake that belongs in the hands of angels instead of in my mouth.

Then I'll have the next three days to eat leftovers more carefully while putting as many miles as I can on my treadmill. :)

Life is not worth living if I have to worry about every occasion where I might consume more than my daily calorie allotment. That would actually be quite depressing. Besides, occasional indulgences keep me on my toes and give me motivation to continue to log my food every day, and also a good reason to keep my treadmill from getting dusty and covered in clothing that doesn't get put up right away. ;)
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Well. I have decided to skip the chocolate pecan pie. No one has ever made me one, and I have never tried it but I did find a recipe and when I calculated the calories it came out to about 1500 cals per slice. (I may be exaggerating by 500 cals)

No matter how you cut it (pun intended) that's a hefty price for a slice!

I will stick with yummy protein and veggies, with a small side of stuffing and mashed potatoes and a little homemade gravy and cranberry sauce. I will indulge in a butter tart and a glass of wine, and all in all be extremely satisfied and no doubt thoroughly stuffed. It will be wonderful! Even without the chocolate pecan pie.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I learned that the average person gsins 7lbs between thanksgiving and Christmas. That's a lot. So I'll choose my personal favorites to eat and skip those dishes I usually eat to please some cook. 2/3 0f plate will be vegetables. No way do i want to lose the 7 lbs. Again.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I plan to eat all the foodz, because pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple pie, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes with gravy, green bean casserole, stuffing, homemade bread, and turkey are awesome.

I plan to resume my regular eating schedule the following day.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    My holidays go like this, because I WANT to I go for a run in the morning, I get up and go for a run. It's so peaceful and makes me happy but before I could run I started walking with the dog so he could get some one on one time before the festivities.

As for food I don't bother with things that I can have any time like for example mashed potatoes or bread. I have the fresh seasonal stuff or those items that only get made during the holiday season no matter which holiday it is.

I also don't dictate foods like cranberry sauce or green bean casserole for holidays only. If I'm in the mood for them in July I have them. It doesn't make them less special but it takes away that feeling that you have to gobble them up because you can't get them any other time of the year.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I just say eff it on Thanksgiving. A serving of my mac n cheese is 800 calories and delicious. WTF ever. I only make it once a year. I'm not changing that recipe EVER. my Hubby would smother me in my sleep.

Halloween I don't engage at all. Candy isn't my thing.

Christmas...I'm gonna eat all the goodies.

I expect to gain thru the fall. I keep up with my lifting and hope some turns to muscle. crosses fingers.

I'm going to enjoy holidays. Part of that is eating and being social.
  • rdrettig1
    rdrettig1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I managed to make a really healthy thanksgiving dinner that everyone enjoyed last year so I plan on doing that again this year. I am excited to hear how everyone deals with their kids Halloween candy though because I usually eat more of it than my kids do......
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Halloween wasn't bad for me last year. I used to binge out on candy because it seemed like the thing to do, but last year I just saved some of my calories and had a few pieces of candy and was satisfied. It was actually much more satisfying because I didn't have the sugar sick feeling or the guilt.

Edited to add that it probably helps that my kids aren't super excited to share their loot! lol Also, I've long made a point of buying candy to hand out that other people like but I won't be tempted by (for me, that's reeses--never been a fan but it's still a good candy to give to others).
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Calories will not be counted on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I do need to make sure that I'm doing good the days leading up to and days after those holidays.
  • sinbos
    sinbos Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    we have a saying here that translate to:

You don´t gain weight between christmas and new year but between new year and christmas

• callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My holidays go like this, because I WANT to I go for a run in the morning, I get up and go for a run. It's so peaceful and makes me happy but before I could run I started walking with the dog so he could get some one on one time before the festivities.

As for food I don't bother with things that I can have any time like for example mashed potatoes or bread. I have the fresh seasonal stuff or those items that only get made during the holiday season no matter which holiday it is.

I also don't dictate foods like cranberry sauce or green bean casserole for holidays only. If I'm in the mood for them in July I have them. It doesn't make them less special but it takes away that feeling that you have to gobble them up because you can't get them any other time of the year.

Aha, I do the same with cranberry sauce, and certain other "holiday" foods! I even made pumpkin bread muffins for a coworker's birthday in early august. I think I'm still in the mindset of "but it's Thanksgiving," and it's helping to hear thoughts and suggestions from everyone else regarding the holiday. :)
    Since you also asked about lower calorie alcohol options, any liquor with a non-caloric mixer (diet soda, water, etc.) is a good option. Also, you could do light beer to save some calories (usually about 30/beer over the normal, depending on what you're drinking). My two "go to" drinks if I'm at a bar (where non-caloric mixer options are usually more limited) are rum and diet cola or a flavored vodka and soda water with lime. I get both "tall" which means they have more of the mixer but the same amount of alcohol; this helps them last longer. If you're at a house, you can pretty much make most mixed drinks without calories by providing your own no or lower calorie mixer options, such as diet tonic, sprite, juice, crystal light flavorings, etc. I've even made my own simple syrup with splenda for lower calorie mojitos and margaritas.

This is FANTASTIC! I'm still fairly new to the spirit world (hurr hurr) so I'm not very experienced when it comes cocktail variations and lower calorie options. I love the idea of getting a cocktail "tall," and I love sparkling lime water, so I imagine it's not much different than adding some alcohol to a sparkling lime water. I bet I'd love that!

Funny enough, I am a huge fan of Trader Jose's Light Premium Lager (packaged similarly to Corona), but I didn't like the non-light version, so I'm good on that front anyways.
    Halloween wasn't bad for me last year. I used to binge out on candy because it seemed like the thing to do, but last year I just saved some of my calories and had a few pieces of candy and was satisfied. It was actually much more satisfying because I didn't have the sugar sick feeling or the guilt.

Edited to add that it probably helps that my kids aren't super excited to share their loot! lol Also, I've long made a point of buying candy to hand out that other people like but I won't be tempted by (for me, that's reeses--never been a fan but it's still a good candy to give to others).

I don't give out candy (apartment building with maybe two residents under 20) so I at least don't need to worry about buying something I won't eat, but I do have coworkers who set out candy by their cubicles this year. That's always a problem for me, but I think what I might try is to make a point to walk at least 40 minutes during my lunch, and then indulge in a piece every day. That way I don't obsess over only allowing myself to pig out on Halloween.

Thanks, everyone. I have a feeling I'm gonna come back to this thread the closer we get to these holidays and it'll be a real life-saver to hear your encouraging words! <3
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on fully celebrating each DAY. Halloween I'll have some treats and candy. Thanksgiving I'll have what I want. And probably the week between Christmas and New Years I'll eat at maintenance. But it won't be a 3 month long food fest! They are holi-DAYS not holi-MONTHS!
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I want to be clear that I'm not asking advice on how to avoid eating my favorite foods altogether on special occasions. I'm asking how some of you have handled showing some restraint around the holidays. I do apologize, I should have made that more apparent in my original post! I will go and edit now.

For those of you who don't show restraint-- thank you very much for responding! However, that particular advice is not what I was hoping for. If that works for you, then that's fabulous! And more power to you. :) For me, I've noticed that if I don't have a certain (even small) level of discipline, it's entirely too easy for me to fall off the wagon altogether.

Thanks!

Hi! Something that has helped me is to load my plate with what I want to eat, and when I am done with that follow it up with a big cup of tea or coffee. That way I am much less tempted to follow my food with more food. Also, don't let things sit out to be picked at. As soon as dinner is done, wrap it up and put it away. This is less about restraint (which relates to willpower, which is totally overrated) then it is about removing temptation.
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    I'm planning on fully celebrating each DAY. Halloween I'll have some treats and candy. Thanksgiving I'll have what I want. And probably the week between Christmas and New Years I'll eat at maintenance. But it won't be a 3 month long food fest! They are holi-DAYS not holi-MONTHS!

Ahh, but it's also known as the "holiday season," with many cakes, pies, and goodies being brought into the office in between. :)

I am gonna give the "taste the holiday season (in small quantities)" a go and see how I fare up to Thanksgiving. I'll adjust as necessary, but I've never tried eating in moderation throughout the "holi-months" to allow myself the holiday taste without gorging thing before. Here's hoping that it's easier to mentally handle than obsessing over a few days this entire season.

One other thing-- I've been REEEALLY into almond pumpkin lattes lately. It gives me the gratification of having a sweet pumpkin pie type flavor, but with less guilt! and fills me up infinitely more than a slice of pie would. Oh god, allllllll the pumpkin!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    what I do is skip or have very light meals either side of the big one. Where I'm really weird though is on Easter Sunday, I just eat my chocolate eggs and have one normal meal that day (it freaks my family out though) - and manage to stay under 2500 calories doing so.

Do you notice that you still maintain the same weight doing this? or do you usually go up a few?

I'm mostly scared of going up more than 3 lbs the week of a holiday. Usually when I see a rapid gain like that is when I get severely discouraged, and that's when I tend to fall off.

I guess if that happens, though, I can come on here for a little encouragement.

usually this would be an increase in glycogen (essentially water) as well as more inherent waste in your system...to actually put on 3 Lbs of fat you would have to eat well over your maintenance calories consistently. when in doubt, do the math...

The math would help, except that at this point in in my fitness journey I don't know the formula. I didn't even know what glycogen was before today... :neutral:

3,500 calories = 1 Lb...this is why to lose about 1 Lb per week you would need a 500 calorie per day deficit from your maintenance number (500*7=3,500). So to actually put on 3 Lbs of actual fat you would have to eat 10,500 calories above your maintenance number. keep in mind, you'd also have to do this consistently...it's not like you overeat your maintenance calories one day and your body just stores fat...your body is very good at adapting to energy and in the short run will use excess energy efficiently...it's when you consistently over-eat that you over-ride your body's ability to maintain weight.

and yes, you need to consider the weight from things that will fluctuate like water retention/release, more/less waste in your system, etc. body weight isn't a static thing...you will always fluctuate which is important to understand for maintenance...it's a range generally. because body weight isn't static, weight loss can't be a linear function.