Chicken Fanatic

Options
SheilaFreshour
SheilaFreshour Posts: 6 Member
I will be honest and say, I am a chicken fanatic. Being from the south, chicken has always been a staple in my menu. What I need from all of you is simple, easy chicken recipes that will help in my weight loss journey. My usual chicken recipes are not going to help me here (fried chicken is not a diet food).
So please, submit any recipes and suggestions to help me spice up my chicken dishes without further expanding my waistline.

Replies

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Fried chicken can fit into any eating plan of your choosing. You simply have to work around it. If you give up what you love, fried chicken, then fried chicken is what you're going to want. Make it work for you and it won't be a problem.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is to take a whole chicken which is inexpensive. Cut out the backbone and flatten. Then I season with whatever I'm feeling: paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, lemon juice. Or a bought season mix. Then bake in oven. Comes out so good.

Try oven "frying" your chicken. Lots of recipes available.

Weber makes excellent marinades.

Chicken tacos. Cook in crockpot with salsa and taco seasoning.

I'm making white chicken chili next week. Recipes also online.

Roast then brush with bbq sauce.

Lots of options. Good luck from a southerner also. =)

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm also from the south. Born and raised. And fried chicken is the only thing that's like fried chicken. The oven fried is good, but it ain't the real thing. If you need the real thing, eat the real thing, just eat less of it. Then move a little more than normal. It will all work itself out. And chicken chili is the BOMB!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I will be honest and say, I am a chicken fanatic. Being from the south, chicken has always been a staple in my menu. What I need from all of you is simple, easy chicken recipes that will help in my weight loss journey. My usual chicken recipes are not going to help me here (fried chicken is not a diet food).
    So please, submit any recipes and suggestions to help me spice up my chicken dishes without further expanding my waistline.

If you google " chicken recipes " ( you could add things like " low cal ", " low carb " or whatever ) you will find 46 600 000 ( yes close to 50 million ) hits and I bet even discounting all the fried recipes there still will be a few million left from which to chose.
    Also, if you like fried chicken, you can eat it as long as it fits into your calorie allowance.

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I just grill chicken breasts on the George Foreman grill and cover them in seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder etc). Done in minutes and a lot of the fat drains away.
  • Ginnygirl5
    Ginnygirl5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Crockpot: package of skinless, boneless chicken thigh,1/4 orange juice,1/4 lemon juice, tbsp fresh parsley, tbsp fresh oregano. 1/2 an onion (whatever you like) tsp of black pepper, 1 4oz can of diced chiles, 1/4 cup of water. Put all together in crockpot turn on low and walk away. Ready in 4 hrs
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Another Southerner here. Yum - fried chicken! :smile:

Here are a few faves:
    Apricot Chicken: chicken breasts, onion, garlic, sugar free apricot preserves and apple cider vinegar. Sauté the chicken mostly through in a little olive oil, then add the other stuff. Makes a great sauce. I like to pour it over couscous.
    Stuffed Chicken: chicken breasts topped with cheese and bacon. bake in over 350 ~20mins depending on thickness.
    Rotisserie chicken: in a pinch, it's a quick short cut. Add a little mayo and such and create your fave chicken salad. Also, shred it and make a wrap or tortilla out of it. Add cooked onions + peppers (I just made chicken philly sandwiches the other night. yum!!) or eat the chicken cold - put it in a wrap with lettuce, tomato or a pico de gallo. Just season the chicken with Mexican seasoning.

My diary is open. Feel free to take a look.
  • hcs00
    hcs00 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can get a pressure cooker and broast them - it tastes exactly like fried and has 70% less fat.

I had a broasted chicken piece on Sunday and I was dying it was so damn good. Look up the calories/nutrients on here, not bad.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    One of my faves is to take a raw chicken breast and pound it out evenly, smear a little bit of pesto on top, put a few slices of tomato on top of that and then cover with some low fat mozzarella (trader joes brand is the tastiest), cover, bake at 375 for 40 minutes or so (bake uncovered the last 5-10 minutes so the cheese gets bubbly).

It's so good and depending on how big your chicken is and how easy you go with the pesto can come in at about 300 calories.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I like to purchase a whole roasted chicken pre cooked from the grocery store. Divide it into 4 or 5 meals with a side dish of choice.