Am I ready for my first 5K?

Options
I'm currently doing the Couch To 5K program and just completed Week 6 Day 1 this morning. My husband signed up for his first race this coming Saturday and I'm considering joining him. I'm just looking for a little input....is week 6 too early to even consider this? I still run at a snails pace!

Replies

• ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I say GO FOR IT! Who cares about the amount of time it takes?! There are some people who enter 5Ks and just walk the entire thing. Even if you run at a SLOTH'S pace, at least you're doing it! A lot of it is mental, anyway. If you tell yourself that you can do it, believe me, you can!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I don't think it's too early at all, but that all depends on what your goal is for your first 5K. You'll do great, probably run a good portion of it and if you take an easy pace..maybe even run the whole race.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    My goal has always been to finish... I never set a time, just proud that I finished! :bigsmile:

So I think it would depend on if you would be upset/discouraged if you run it in 45 mins to a hour. If not then I say go for it! If anything it would be a great way to mark you "starting" race pace :wink:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    You are ready! You probably won't run the whole thing, and that's just fine!!! Most 5k runners are just in it to finish and will be very supportive of you no matter what you're time!!! My sister ran her first with me last weekend and she figured if she was under 50 minutes she'd be happy. Not only did she run the WHOLE THING, she came in at 39:52 which is a very respectable time for a newbie!!!

Just go for it. If hubby is there to support you I know you'll do fine! Just remember to have fun!!!! Soak it up, girl.. you're a runner!!!!
  • JenniferNRN
    JenniferNRN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I don't know much about the couch to 5K program, so I don't know what kind of distance you are doing at this point, but I honestly think stamina is more important than speed. I WALKED my first 5K in April and finished in about 48 minutes. There were still plenty of people behind me so I wasn't last by any means, and that was walking. I've been hooked ever since!

Why do you want to do the race? To finish one? To win one? To come up with a time to beat for your next one? I guess if you are looking to win one, maybe it's too early, but if you just want to accomplish one, I don't think it's ever too early!

Good luck either way! :smile: