One year of progress. No gimmicks or quick fixes.

Options
Basic stats, 43 years old, 5'5, around 130 pounds.

I lost weight through MFP a few years ago, then between depression after a death in the family, apathy and injury, gained some (ok, most of it) back. Summer of 2014, I had a nasty lower back injury (SI joint) and could barely even walk without severe pain.

Anyway... it was about one year ago that I was recovered enough from my back injury to start running again (the doctor's advice was, "it'll probably still hurt, but you won't make things worse by running"), and around that time I took some "before" pictures. I've had some stumbles along the way. I fell off the wagon in the middle of November and through December. I'm an artist and had a major Christmas rush take up every free second, plus I was beyond frustrated that the steroid injection I got for my back made me gain ten pounds in about a week.

I started up again in January, logging my food, running, lifting, etc. Then I had shin splints put me on the sideline for a few weeks in April & May. Then seven weeks ago, I had an Achilles problem (heel spur that aggravates the tendon), and just started running again two weeks ago. I haven't been lifting as often as I should, but when I do, it's full body compound moves (deadlift, squats, bench, row, overhead press). Not as heavy as I did before my back injury, but between "novice" and "intermediate" in strength standards. I suppose you'd still call that heavy lifting.

With the one year anniversary of my return to running, I thought it would be a good time to get out the bikini again and take new photos. All in all, I'm down about 20 lbs from those photos, and from a snug size 8 to a size 4. I'm really happy with what one year of dedication and good food could do. No gimmicks, no quick fixes, no Beach Body products, no organic (unless it happened to be the same price as regular), no green smoothies or kale anything. Just the regular food I love in the right portions. Still had pizza, bagels, garlic bread, pasta, potatoes, ice cream, chocolate, mixed in with loads of veggies and (mostly, but not exclusively) lean meats.

wovr4d1dec2i.jpg

jb33vcltu591.jpg

xpvkcc8omile.jpg

cuw0qklil7l0.jpg

Replies

• VA_ITGuy
    VA_ITGuy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation... way to go .. :)
  • Asallings323
    Asallings323 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love the story of your journey and the perseverance you had not to give up. I myself am a true believer that you can still eat all your favorite foods just in a balanced proportioned size. You are inspiring. Thank you for sharing.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Wow, look at you!!! You look awesome, great work!!! xo
  • FitChick_40
    FitChick_40 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well done, you look great!
  • sweetsmile_lee
    sweetsmile_lee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Great work through some very difficult times. Very inspiring!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Omfg you look incredible!!!!! Way to go lovely lady!!!!
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The progress on your body is amazing - so amazing - but so is the face progress. Look at that side profile. BEAUTIFULLY HAPPY & GLOWING!!!!
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I used to follow you a few years ago - you were probably one of my favorite blogs around here to read! And your progress now is exactly why- you are so awesome! Keep up the good work :)
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Great story!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    LadyKT wrote: »
    I used to follow you a few years ago - you were probably one of my favorite blogs around here to read! And your progress now is exactly why- you are so awesome! Keep up the good work :)

This exactly. Looking good! Sorry you have been through some rough times, but you have such a great outlook!
  • jumpinthemud
    jumpinthemud Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your determination has shown through! WTG!
  • helpatalkingmuffin
    Options
    Ahhh, I used to follow you a few years ago! (I had a different username--'runningfromzombies'.) You are as fantastic as ever. :flowerforyou:
  • healthhappinessfit
    healthhappinessfit Posts: 39 Member
    Options
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    LadyKT wrote: »

Same! I knew I recognized those tattoos ^^ (ok, that sounds seriously creepy). Glad to see you back, and for your success a second time around. You were absolutely an inspiration for me.

I think that one of the most important things that you are showing people in this post is that with the proper education and by finding a sustainable and healthy (mentally and physically) method of losing weight - without resorting to fad diets, excessive restriction, or going into debt for name brand products - one can weather life's disasters and that even if one regains some weight, one always has the tools to return to a healthy weight and a healthy lifestyle. Not to mention the confidence!

ETA: I just realized this is kind of a zombie thread that got resurrected, but I'm glad it did!
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Great job! It's especially noticeable on your back! You look great :)
  • aspire2lift
    aspire2lift Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Phenomenal results, your truly an inspiration to me!
  • gina20202016
    gina20202016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! I'm a 43 year old mom of 3 teenage girls. Work travel has taken a 15lb toll on me. Your post and inspiration. I'm going to take bikini pics tomorrow and plan to be 140 by September!!
  • oliverngus
    oliverngus Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You look fantastic! And it's especially inspiring to read that you were able to get motivated and on track again after a loss. After losing my mom, I've gained weight and lost motivation. So thank you for giving me hope!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!