Do I need to get a gym membership?

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I think the point of this thread is that you should find some sort of exercise that you personally enjoy. What that is will be different for each person. But find something you love. If it's a chore, you won't do it.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    I don't have a gym membership, I work out at home. Treadmill, weights, etc in my basement. When I had a gym membership I used to lie to myself about going after work to work out and I never did. Once I hooked my basement up (and still updating it) I now get up early every day to work out.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I think everyone here has every aspect covered :) I'll just throw in my own two cents worth though ... I have a membership to a local, non-chain gym because when I pay for something, I have to get my money's worth. That is just my mentality. I think of probable wasted money when I hear that 5 am alarm telling to wake up and head to the gym and go ahead and get out of bed and get dressed! I also paid for some personal training sessions with the owner for the same reason. I have to get my money's worth! Besides, it is good to be in an environment where others have similar goals. Everyone is there to get healthier/lose weight/build muscle, etc. It helps when there are other aspect of life that don't have the same goal.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    The world is your gym and playground.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited October 2015
    I agree on the martial arts classes. Not so much for the defense against zombies as the great cardio workout plus the added benefits of becoming much more able to deal with day to day life situations. Verbal confrontations with grumpy people just don't phase you as much when you are used to calmly dealing with someone who is actually trying to hit you with a bokken. (Japanese wooden sword):dizzy: Plus it's just really fun so the motivation to get to the dojo at the end of a long day at work is a bit higher.
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    I'm very happy with my gym membership, so I would recommend it, but you don't NEED it. It's very convenient to have all the machines (and high tech machines at that) in one place with a friendly atmosphere. Personally, can't get motivated to go out and exercise at home, but having a gym membership is motivating enough for me to go a couple times a day. I've met so many friendly and encouraging people at the gym. I like to have the elliptical, spinning, and jacob's ladder as well as all the weight machines available. I have an elliptical at home, but the ones at the gym are so much nicer, so I don't even use that anymore.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    ohmyllama wrote: »
    I'm very happy with my gym membership, so I would recommend it, but you don't NEED it. It's very convenient to have all the machines (and high tech machines at that) in one place with a friendly atmosphere. Personally, can't get motivated to go out and exercise at home, but having a gym membership is motivating enough for me to go a couple times a day. I've met so many friendly and encouraging people at the gym. I like to have the elliptical, spinning, and jacob's ladder as well as all the weight machines available. I have an elliptical at home, but the ones at the gym are so much nicer, so I don't even use that anymore.

great points, decent cardio machines are very expensive. I see a lot of people snort at gym memberships and say "just run outside in the fresh air", but really gyms can be nice, some people enjoy being plugged in with their headphones enjoying their favourite tv show (on tablet is an increasing trend I see now) while the calories get burnt off. Especially coming into the winter and dark evenings now. You can also chat to people and it's safer. My favourite author Douglass Adams died at age 48 on a treadmill in his home, heart attack, and no one there to help him.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I got a gym membership because I was paying $300/mo for Pilates and had to pay more elsewhere if I took anything else (like Tai Chi). Got a membership for $155/mo that includes Pilates plus more all in that fee. It was worth it to me. I do like working out with other people in a class; the social component seems to help drag me over there. And I use the machines on one of the days when I don't have classes scheduled.

Wow, are you in the US? I've never heard of non-family memberships this high and have belonged to gyms in Massachusetts, Florida, and New York. However, never in urban areas like NYC or Boston.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I have my gym membership, for the sole purpose of the weight room.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I got a gym membership because I was paying $300/mo for Pilates and had to pay more elsewhere if I took anything else (like Tai Chi). Got a membership for $155/mo that includes Pilates plus more all in that fee. It was worth it to me. I do like working out with other people in a class; the social component seems to help drag me over there. And I use the machines on one of the days when I don't have classes scheduled.

Wow, are you in the US? I've never heard of non-family memberships this high and have belonged to gyms in Massachusetts, Florida, and New York. However, never in urban areas like NYC or Boston.

A nice gym can be that expensive in NYC. I haven't belonged to a gym for about 5 years, but when I did I was paying $110 (this gym was definitely nicer than the average, but it wasn't super high end...there were more expensive gyms in the city even then.) Even the average gym near me was $80 at that time. So five years later, I'm sure there are several north of $150.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Unless you know you'll go, it's a waste of money. Join when you no longer have to ask yourself that question
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    I would agree with all of the posters who said that you don't "need" a gym to get fit. But I love the fitness classes: yoga, spin, cross fit etc. and they come free with my membership. An all you can eat buffet so to speak. It took me a while to justify it but I thought of it as a reward after losing 50 lbs in 7 months. I have done gyms before and after a few weeks stopped going. This time it is different though and I feel more committed. It is what I need at this time to get me to my goal weight. So, if you can afford it and you think it will help then go for it.

I belong to a gym that has multiple locations in downtown Boston and the suburbs. I can go to any one I want and pay $60 per month. I like the option of being able to go to the one a block away from my office like I did tonight for a spin class or the one near my house in the early morning like I will do tomorrow for yoga.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Unless you are a runner who has your own weight room and pool...yes, you probably need to join a gym.

I do a lot of non-gym exercise, but you can't beat the convenience, intensity and all-weather availability that you get from a gym.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    the only reason i have a gym membership is for the weight room. there are numerous forms of activity/exercise that don't require a gym. i'm actually always a little surprised by the people who get a gym membership only to drone away on some cardio machine...i mean i use them when the weather is really bad, but I'd much rather cycle or run outside.

I have it for the pool. But I also use the weight machines and bike. I'm afraid I might fall on my bike outside right now.

I really want to swim and I'm healing from hip surgeries. I need low impact, but strengthening exercises. Could I do it at home? Most of it. But the reward of the pool and spa, keeps me going.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    No, of course you don't need a gym. I think they're great for people who like them, but absolutely not necessary. Many ways to get fit!

If you want to join, do it. Mid you don't, find other ways to accomplish your goals. :)
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    I am working on abs as well, and much prefer the gym for the machines which allow a seated ab workout. It's is a lot less strain on my neck and lower back. Plus there are just tons of other fun and effective exercises to do on the machines.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited October 2015
    I will be using my University's gym for weights-only during my half-marathon/marathon training. Reason being that I live in Arizona, where the Earth is beautiful running ground. Tons of trails, and less CO2 than my previous home, CA.

If one can do it naturally, why do it artificially?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    My goal right now is really just to lose weight. I would like to tighten up my abs but am not to concerned with other strength training. I want to get lean. If you were me would you get a gym membership? and why?

If your goal is to lose weight - no

If your goal is to get lean you need strength training to help preserve your muscles as you lose weight, ideally progressive resistance, but if that doesn't suit you,you can follow a bodyweight training programme at home, so again no

If you would be motivated by going to a gym then yes
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I wouldn't worry about a gym membership, as there are lots of exercises (both aerobic and anaerobic) that you can do from home!

However, don't shy away from the strength training! You can build muscle (which will help your metabolism) without it being bulky. I've heard a lot of recommendations that to build lean muscle, use less weight and do more repetitions. But you'd honestly have to do a lot of work to get bulky. Try it, you just might love it!

Those recommendations you heard were wrong, absolutely wrong.. To build muscle (it's not lean or fat, it's muscle) you need progressive resistance (generally at a calorie surplus) which means go heavy and heavier and more repetitions so at a low weight just builds stamina