Weight Loss in Spurts

Options
I observed that my weight would hover sometimes for 4-5 days while eating well and excercising regularly. I have attached my graph for last 2 months. I started at 167 lb 5"5 now I am 140 lb. any one else is experiencing spurts?6i7f5p9fming.png

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    This is how it works. Way to get it!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    The whoosh effect. Way to go!! You need to charge your phone!! LOL
  • Soulinwater
    Soulinwater Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lol I do!!!
  • astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do too. I hover for two to three weeks and then will drop a half pound or one pound if I'm lucky and then again it stalls for a few weeks. It can be very frustrating but I'm learning to deal with it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    weight isn't static, thus weight loss cannot be a linear function. everyone experiences this at some point....thus all of the, "i haven't lose weight in 2 hours....HALP" posts.
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yes! I used to get frustrated by this, but have come to realize that it's just how my body works... I will sometimes go 2-3 weeks with little to no weight loss, then have a week where I'll lose 5-7 lbs in one week! This happened to me about a month ago, and since then I had 3 weeks of 1.5-2 lbs per week, then last week 3 lbs! It's become a little exciting to me, because I know that if I've had a couple weeks of losing nothing, a big loss is coming...
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    here is how i lost 90lbs, i exported all my weighins from mfp http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10256705/my-weight-entries-from-285lbs-to-192lbs#latest

mine was pretty linear but i think your 9/7 to 10/6 is pretty similar to my results...I also was much bigger so, it probably made my first few months much more rapid than it would for someone at 160 whom doesn't need to lose 70lbs.
  • newyorkcitymom
    newyorkcitymom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use trend weight and I've noticed this very interesting pattern where the scale weight will go down each day for 3 days and then up a notch and then down again three times and then up a notch - it's continued that basic pattern for about 3 weeks. It's a fascinating thing to see now. My trend line is smoothed by the website so it just looks like it's going straight down (albeit more slowly than the scale weight), but seeing the plotting of the scale weight was fascinating and re-assuring.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 weeks of a deficit to lose any weight this time. It literally all came off at once.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This is my story. Last month I lost 5 pounds. For 3 weeks I lost a total of .5 pounds... then BOOM! down 4.5 in ine week.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I observed that my weight would hover sometimes for 4-5 days while eating well and excercising regularly. I have attached my graph for last 2 months. I started at 167 lb 5"5 now I am 140 lb. any one else is experiencing spurts?
    It's a pretty common phenomena and seems to be even more so with women due to hormonal/water balance issues related to the monthly cycle. Here's an interesting article about it discussing some of the possible causes: bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'll add my "me, too" to what everyone else has said...i've lost almost 8 pounds in the space of a little more than a week, and that's after having floated at around 233 for almost three weeks or so.

I've stopped trying to make sense of it...I just keep going to the gym, stepping on the scale, checking which belt-loop i'm using, and keeping an eye on what i eat. knowing i'm on the right path helps a lot with the mental part of it when the scale isn't moving.

i just threw a pair of pants that i bought less than a month ago on the "donate" pile because they're already too big...that means more to me than the scale does.