MFP How accurate is it?

Options
Mveler
Mveler Posts: 274 Member
Ok, silly question but I am so excited!! Finally a life change instead of another diet... I am not starving.. a lil sore from exercise but feel like this is SOOOO gonna happen.

Anyhow, if I follow my plan as prescribed here to a T without any cheating, will I lose the 1 1/2 to 2 lbs a week I asked for?

Of course I do know if I cheat and such it won't. I am saying if I do the straight and narrow!

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    well i am supposed to lose 2 pounds a week, have not deviate and have lost 4 pounds in 2 months. but not saying it wont work for you
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I think you will make good steady progress close to that. There will be some faster lose and some slower lose. Also make sure you eat close to the daily calorie goal MFP gave you each day. if you eat too little you may find that you will stop losing.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! :) You may even find that you are losing more than 1 1/2 lbs per week even though that's what you are set on. You'll need to figure out what works best for your body to help you lose at the most efficient rate. I have to eat more calories than the 1200 given if I set my goal to 2 lbs per week if I actually want to lose the 1200 otherwise my body is really sluggish and I get crabby. You'll get into a good rhythm after a few weeks and I'm sure you will do wonderfully! Welcome and feel free to add me if you want! :smile:
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes - on average. Our bodies are amazing and complicated things. Some weeks I'll lose 4lbs and others nothing, and yet I've not 'cheated' or done anything different. But it all averages out to basically what MFP predicts....until you get close (ie maybe within 20 lbs?) to your goal from what I hear (I'm nowhere near having to worry about that part yet!)
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. I was hoping to lose 2 pounds a week. Sometimes I do, sometimes just one, sometimes none at all. I'm over 40, so that may have something to do with it, and the more weight you have to lose, the easier it comes off at first, I think. Just eat well, good, whole unprocessed foods and get some exercise and you'll do fine.
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    Calories in minus calories out is not an exact science. You will lose weight, but you probably won't see a steady weight loss of exactly what you should every week, even if your calories and portions are strictly and perfectly monitored. BUT it's probably the best thing you've got, so don't get discouraged if it's not perfect since your body doesn't just add and subtract that way.

Good luck!
  • husker_gal
    Options
    well i am supposed to lose 2 pounds a week, have not deviate and have lost 4 pounds in 2 months. but not saying it wont work for you

If you ahve been sticking to it and have been religious about recording all calories in and out and have still only lost 4 lbs in 2 months you might want to try upping your calorie intake. I know it sounds counter productive but that's what I had to do. 1200 calories was just too low for my body to function on. I lose at the best rate when I eat between 1300-1500 calories per day. It's worth a shot :smile:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I think the trick is in figuring out your true daily maintenance calories. For some people, the MFP-provided estimate is spot on, but for many, it requires manual tweaking. Once you have that dialed in, and stick to a consistent calorie deficit, then progress will be very steady and predictable.
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Sissy4EverX3 Posts: 247
    Options
    Everyone is different. I've lost 35lbs in just under 4 months using MFP. I think the calories burned tends to be a little high, but it's a good tool. I bought an HRM (heart rate monitor) for more accurate readings.
  • msech
    msech Posts: 32
    Options
    I am set to lose a pound a week and I have been losing a little over 3lbs each week. Like with anything everybody's weight progress is different. Also it's recommended that you only lose 1lb a week.
  • husker_gal
    Options
    .... I think the calories burned tends to be a little high, but it's a good tool. I bought an HRM (heart rate monitor) for more accurate readings.

yes!
  • Mveler
    Options
    Ok, well I will remain hopeful! I am nearing 40 and I know things slow down. I will be happy with a pound, but honestly anything not gained is a win!

I am now walking an intense mile here near home. I feel it burn in my legs (especially calves and shins) but I plug on. I just gone in the 30 day shred which I will be starting On Thursday morning!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would set your mind to one pound per week. That way you won't be too disappointed on the slower weeks. Everything over a pound is bonus!!!! Good luck!
  • Mveler
    Options
    If I were you, I would set your mind to one pound per week. That way you won't be too disappointed on the slower weeks. Everything over a pound is bonus!!!! Good luck!

Lol thats one way to go about it. I am ok with 1 pound. God knows I didn't get all this weight over night, how they heck can I expect to get rid of it that fast... This belly is 10 years strong!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

If you ahve been sticking to it and have been religious about recording all calories in and out and have still only lost 4 lbs in 2 months you might want to try upping your calorie intake. I know it sounds counter productive but that's what I had to do. 1200 calories was just too low for my body to function on. I lose at the best rate when I eat between 1300-1500 calories per day. It's worth a shot :smile:

tried that gained 4 pounds