5 DAYS NOW AND STILL NO WEIGHT LOSS - !

Options
I am incredibly new to all of this and possibly going about it the wrong way. I am counting calories and am limiting myself to 1400 a day. I garden about 3 days a week - heavy duty work for about 4 hours each day and on the other days I run or walk an hour. I am not overweight but gained weight after quitting smoking 7 months ago and STILL cannot lose it! I am 5'8" tall and weigh 150lbs. right now. I am trying to lose 20-25 pounds. I see that many of you have had great success with losing and I wonder what Im doing wrong. I see 149 pds on the scale in the morning then it is right back to 150 in the afternoon!! UGH!!

Replies

• iwlizz
    iwlizz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try weighing only once a week, and do you eat the calories you burn while exercising?
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    First of all, your weight will always fluctuate during the day, that's why you should weigh in first thing in the morning before breakfast and after pee. Second, your body is used to being at that weight, so it will take a little while before it clues in to what you are trying to get it to do. Hang in there, it took 2 week before my weight started to come off...plus, when you don't have much to lose, it's more stubborn.
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It took me almost a month to start losing weight. Hang in there.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    First all you shouldn't weigh yourself like that. If you weigh do it like once a week. Your body weight can go up and down by 2lbs a day. Second drink lots of water. It flushes out your body. I suggest no more weighing till this time next week. Remove all clothes and do it in the morning before food or water.
  • Jonicha26
    Jonicha26 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The best time to weigh your self is first thing in the morning... after you use the restroom and before eating. If you weigh yourself later in the the same day you are bound to weigh more. You're not giving your body time to process what you're putting into it. And this takes time... it's about what kind of calories you put into your body and how many calories you are burning. Don't be discouraged. Just keep at it.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so much. You need to pick one time of day, and preferably only one day a week, that you weigh in. Your weight will fluctuate throughout the day so I would recommend weighing first thing in the morning. Then don't weigh again until a week later. You also have to give this more than 5 days to see results. You have to stick with it, and make sure you get plenty of water, at least 8 cups, or you WILL hold on to excess water weight. GOOD LUCK!
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! I agree with the comments from the other ladies. Weigh yourself once a week, trying for the same time of day each week. I've seen my body fluctuate 2-3 pounds in a day and by the end of my week, I'm OK. Again, be sure to eat no less than 1200 calories, including exercies (so if you eat 1400, burn 400, that's only 1000 net and you need to "eat back" at least 200. Give it some more time of eating healthy high protien, high fiber, friuts and veggies!
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You're 5' 8" and 150lbs? Uhm, please don't throw things at me, but I'm 5' 7" and according to the diagnostic Polar machine that my trainer got my stats on at my gym, my ideal weight is like 180. Even following the 'card board cut out' bmi charts, they say the ideal weight for my height is 150... I don't mean to sound discouraging at all, it's possibly that we have different bone structures and stuff, but just be careful you're not eating too few calories. Maybe talk to your general physician or a nutritionist to find out how many calories a day you need?
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    WOW!! You guys are FAST!! Thanks for all the great advice. I know that it sounds like I do not need to lose weight but since I quit smoking I have gained about 20 pounds over the winter. My stomach and thighs are where the weight went and it is quite noticeable - I also cannot fit into my jeans anymore. So, my friends, I am on a mission to feel and look better this summer. Quitting smoking was one of the best things I have done for myself and this is just a minor setback. You guys are AMAZING and I commend you on your awesomeness!!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    WOW!! You guys are FAST!! Thanks for all the great advice. I know that it sounds like I do not need to lose weight but since I quit smoking I have gained about 20 pounds over the winter. My stomach and thighs are where the weight went and it is quite noticeable - I also cannot fit into my jeans anymore. So, my friends, I am on a mission to feel and look better this summer. Quitting smoking was one of the best things I have done for myself and this is just a minor setback. You guys are AMAZING and I commend you on your awesomeness!!

Rather than losing weight, per se, you may want to focus instead on toning up and shedding body fat/gaining a little muscle. You could end up staying the same weight but losing sizes that way! It'll be tough, though, because your body is right in its healthy range and will like staying where it is.

Because you're in your healthy range you should consider trying to lose more slowly if you do opt for weight loss--no more than 1 lb/week, and ideally only 0.5 lb/week.
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    I would be happy with losing 1 lb a week . I will check back next week and see if anything has been lost. I work out super hard when I garden with mulching, edging, etc. and so I hope this will help.
  • hhakb0
    hhakb0 Posts: 7
    Options
    I had the same issue when I first started weight loss. I think yoiu may need to get some harder cardio in one day a week..... or look at the foods you are eating. I did not look to see if you shared your diary but just make sure you do more lean meat and veggies. Or just switch it up and try differnt foods or work outs. You have to find what is right for you and it will start to melt off. I have only like 5 more lbs that I want to loose and it has been tough but I am really focusing on drinking lots of water to flush out the fat and getting those fruits in daily so I dont eat as much of everything else.Stick with it, if you are dedicated you can figure it out.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    key word here "5 days"... last time I checked weight loss takes time!!! You cannot expect it to happen overnight or even in a week. Weight loss is NOT easy, and it will not happen quick. You are making a commitment to change your life. Nothing worth having comes easy.