I will not binge eat!

Options
I will not binge eat when I get home from work! I will not!!!

Sigh, anyone else have this problem?!

Replies

• desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    We all have this problem.

I'm personally convinced that binge eating is directly linked to carbohydrate, especially sugar, addiction.

It has taken me over a year of attempts to finally get off the sugar train, cuz, well I love sugar.

I no longer binge eat and I'm dropping weight like crazy.

Take a look at the many low carb eating plans (I hate the word "diet") all over the place.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Me!!! During PMS I eat anything I can get my hands on. I have yet to find a way to control the cravings for food during this time. I try to find things to do to keep my mind off of food or I exercise like crazy to make up for the added calories.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without carbs so cravings happen quite often indeed... I definitely struggle with binges.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    plan a snack

pre-log it

eat it

move away from the kitchen

my 'snack' used to be toast, cottage cheese, avocado and tomato or another 200 calorie snack (hummus and crudites, toast and egg white) something substantial
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If it's really bad I'm trying to postpone sugary treats until just before a meal - it may sound weird but if I eat couple of chocolate squares just before lunch and then move onto lunch I can stop on these 2 squares. I can't stop myself if I have them after or between meals (not directly before). It works for me.
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    My weight loss struggles are absolutely connected to my problems with binging.

I personally believe that binging is a psychological manifestation of something in your life. As someone with BED, I can't encourage getting treatment enough. It dramatically changed my life.

Treatment also allowed me to see and accept that carbs and sugar are not addictive and that it is my own internal mental battle at play, not the evil sugar. That allowed me control (arena peace) to realize that I can have any food in my diet as long as I am paying attention to what is going on emotionally with me.

Totally agree 100%
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I will not binge eat when I get home from work! I will not!!!

Sigh, anyone else have this problem?!

Something triggers overeating episodes for me:

1. Didn't eat enough protein in relationship to carbs
    2. Let myself get too hungry
    3. Was sleep deprived
    4. Stress
    5. Lack of mindfulness

So, since binges happen after work for you, I am curious as to how long you ate previously to getting home (did you get too hungry) and what you ate earlier in the day - can you change your Diary Sharing setting to Public? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Also, it's common for dieters to eat too little during the day, which triggers over eating later in the day. If this is happening for you, try eating more earlier.

If it's stress, can you grab a snack and get in some cardio after leaving work?

If what you have is Binge Eating Disorder, do get professional help.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try pre-logging your days, as it helps tremendously.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What ksharma wrote is pretty similar to what I would recommend too.

I don't binge, but I both emotionally eat and find that I tend to overeat much more easily in certain situations (usually associated with longstanding habits). I also find that certain physical factors make it much harder for me to stick with my goals -- mostly my habit of not sleeping enough, but also not eating balanced meals with adequate protein or going too long between meals.

I'd think through why you tend to eat at this time and maybe try things like eating a bit more earlier in the day or increasing protein earlier in the day. Also, if binging on stuff at home right after work is an issue, don't keep those foods at home -- eat them out or at work or the like. Have a plan for what you will do when you get home (and maybe try to eat dinner sooner if that's possible, so you can look forward to that rather than snacking).

Also, if it's a real binge and not just eating too much when snacking, what shell says above is important to consider.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I tend to have binges triggered by stress, and yesterday I had a very stressful day. All I wanted to do was go to the 7-11, buy tons of snacks, eat them all, and go to bed.

But, I talked it out, literally, as I drove home. "Why do you want to eat? Are you hungry? No, you're stressed, because of XXXX. You want to eat for comfort. You know you should follow your plan--go home, change your clothes, work out an hour, shower, and have dinner. You know if you binge you will feel very guilty and your stomach will be uncomfortably full. You know you will be sad if you have a bad weigh-in tomorrow. So stick to your regular routine." I spent the whole car ride cajoling myself and encouraging myself to work out.

Thankfully, it worked! I had an amazing workout, ate a very satisfactory and controlled dinner, and went to bed feeling pleased (but still stressed). And had a great weigh-in this morning!

So yes, I definitely struggle with the urge to binge, and I'm not always successful in preventing it. But this technique really worked for me, and I will try it in the future when I feel the urge to overeat.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    plan a snack

pre-log it

eat it

move away from the kitchen

my 'snack' used to be toast, cottage cheese, avocado and tomato or another 200 calorie snack (hummus and crudites, toast and egg white) something substantial

This works.
    Planned snack every night. Something I really like and something substantial without being over the top. Like don't plan to eat an entire bag of bite sized Twix (yuc). My evening snack is either six reduced fat Triscut crackers with Better N' Peanut butter spread on them or a plain Siggi's with Better N' Peanut butter and some almonds mixed in. Eat it. Put the day away...