What are your Low Cal yet High Volume Snack Choices?

Options
SkinnyLight777
SkinnyLight777 Posts: 36 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey Guys, can you list what your favorite high volume snack/or meal is yet low in cal. Looking to get more bang for my buck in the the fill me up department! :smile:
Thanks for you input!

Replies

• tedayvas
    tedayvas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pop corn popped in a hot air popper. Lots of volume, very low calories as long as you don't put any toppings on it. I eat it plain right out of the popper, tastes pretty bland but fills you up.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with popcorn. I like the shop bought sweet and salted variety because 25g (doesn't sound like a lot but is probably an average-sized bowl full) is about 115cals and I cant eat it plain.
    Low-calorie or air popped crisps can be good- depends on what you classify as 'high volume' but a packet comes in at under 100 cals (Don't know where you are but in the UK we have 'Pom Bears' which are 97 cals a packet).
    Sugar free jelly pots are great- 5 or so cals a pot depending on which flavour. Means you can have a few if you want and its barely anything calorie wise, but really filling.
    Other low calorie (not necessarily high volume) ideas are oreo snack packs (100 cals), kit kats (110 cals), meringe nests (53 calories) with some fruit/berries (>100cals total). Wafer/low cal cracker breads (20 cals each) with low cal-laughing cow cheese triangle (25 cals each). :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    bag of frozen cauliflower, steamed then topped with 1serving light ranch and hot sauce (i.e. buffalo)

Lettuce leaves wrapped around lunch meat slices. dipped in mayo/mustard/salad dressing

raw fruit and veggies, obv.

corn thins (they are like rice cakes but made with corn....22cals each) topped with cheese wedge, lunch meat, hummus, or whatever

sunflower seeds....not necessarily high volume, but if I eat a serving of the ones in the shell they take forever to eat and are good for munching while watching tv.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thirding the suggestion of air-popped popcorn! If the thought of eating it plain does not appeal to you, a tiny bit of olive oil sprayed on with a mister lets herbs or spices stick to it. Splurge a little and find good quality corn to start with. An example of what NOT to buy is the giant jug of jolly time from Costco: it tastes like paper. Go for the good stuff, it's still less far expensive than anything you'd buy. ;)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm a celery and carrot stick girl. Also big on liquidity. Water water water water water
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Pickles!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Pickles 0, napolitoes (cactus) 5 cal per tablespoon, 4oz of salmon 110 cals, tuna 1/2 can 50 cals, soup out of a can of diced tomatoes with tsp olive oil and spices 120 cals, cauliflower with garlic and olive oil 110 cals, Pederson chicken sausage 80 cal. I often use snack food for meals as well...
  • SkinnyLight777
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input! Sadly I cannot eat popcorn. Will take in account your other ideas! I only need to lose 5lbs yet want to keep a healthy snacking habit. Guess its cauliflowers and pickles! :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Snap peas, lemon cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, hummus.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I make what I call 'sad nachos' - thinly sliced cucumber with salsa and yogurt-sriracha sauce for dipping.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    There's have been a few threads about "fluff" which is something like a low cal high volume soft serve ice cream:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260546/protein-fluff-where-have-you-been-all-my-life
  • SkinnyLight777
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @linzon love your sad nacho idea and @Protranser will def check out the fluff stuff. Thanks guys! Feel free to post any more ideas for anyone who needs snack help!
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I like the 100 cal guacamole cups with celery sticks or some other dipping veggie. "Wholly Guacamole" is the brand.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    celery, cucumbers, pickles, baby carrots, tomatoes, maybe apples
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Bag of lettuce with a serving of goat cheese and some vinegar, salt, pepper, and Dijon mustard as dressing.
    2 cups of broth with an egg dropped in (egg drop soup)
    I second the bag of cauliflower, I just blend it with a wedge of light laughing cow cheese and some spices
    Or a bag of broccoli florets with some grated parmesan
    A small sweet potato
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    I make what I call 'sad nachos' - thinly sliced cucumber with salsa and yogurt-sriracha sauce for dipping.

Oh my...those are indeed sad nachos!
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Raw: pickles, carrots, sugar snap peas. Roasted: Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower (though broccoli is far the superior). I could eat Brussels sprouts every day. So good. I also get frozen grilled chicken for quick protein heavy snacks. Something like 100 calories per 86 grams. Add Sriracha, or Cholula, and it's not half bad.

I like to munch on carrots and snap peas before lunch. 100 or so grams of each will last me more for over an hour. Pickles... I eat them too fast, so I don't buy them often (one jar of baby pickles lasts me maybe three days).
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    One pound of strawberries. It's 150 calories. Snack on them while working at your desk or watching a movie. They keep me full for 2-3 hours. And berries are great for you.
  • TechAaronLoyd
    TechAaronLoyd Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Air Pop popcorn, celery, lettuce, cucumber, and water with MiO in it.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Watermelon. 163 calories per pound