How do I know when to take a day off?

Options
So, I had my first dance lesson in 3 years yesterday and it pretty much killed me (in the good way, hahaha). I woke up incredibly sore today and I was about to work out when my roommate said that maybe my body is sore because it is telling me to take a day off? Would I be pushing myself too hard if I worked out today? It wouldn't be an intense workout like yesterday, it would just be my usual cardio workout that I've done a million times before..

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What's the workout? I'd avoid plyometrics (explosive movements) and agility drills. Other stuff should be fine if it isn't too long, and you eat enough.

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You can do 'Active Recovery' which means light work such as long walks or low intensity stuff (easy jogging, biking, or rowing).
  • Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find it helps with the soreness to do at least a light workout, as HamsterMan says above. Your usual cardio would be fine. Just an additional point - mix up your cardio workouts. I rotate between running, elliptical, biking and rowing. Works different parts and provides some variety.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes you will always be sore if you take any time off, especially if your doing something different from a regular routine. It might feel a bit better to do a light workout like linovitz says. You can workout everyday and you'll never be sore but it really only takes about a week to be sore again. I use to do legs at the gym only once a week and always be sore after, so I changed it to twice a week. I'm an avid runner and run 5-6 days a week and in the summer when I'm on vacation and I don't run for about 3 days, my hamstrings still get a bit sore. If you start dancing on a regular basis, the soreness should stay away.