Maintenance afraid to eat 1800

Options
2»

Replies

• pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I lost on 1,240 cals a day and now maintain on 1,710.

With both losing and maintaining, I logged exercise and ate those extra cals, so most days I was having 1,500-1,800 to lose and now 2,000-2,300 to maintain.

It was an extra 500 cals a day (almost) for me too, and it's working.

If you're really nervous, add it in gradually till you get to 1,800, but you may lose a little more while you do so. You may see slight, temporary, weight gains, while your body adjusts to more cals. Give it a month on maintenance cals before worrying about what your weight is doing.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    it's a mental change and it's normal to be concerned

for months I did not up my calories, and my maintenance became an extended loss

increase them gradually, it helps to both check if the cals are right and mentally to get used to the new regime
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    tlpco wrote: »
    ive hit my goal weight of 129 but it Says 1800 calories is ok now. I'm wondering if this is too much. I'm 5 6 and 46 years old. I lost 14 lbs since June 3rd. Any advice?

I'm your height and eat 1600 to lose weight, I bet you're fine. But how about working up to it? Add 100 a week until you're there. Then you can monitor your weight (do allow for a little water weight to come back though)
  • icewings27
    icewings27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I hit my goal weight and got my calories upped as well, but I was wondering...I'm very comfortable with 1200 a day. I feel good, I eat more if I exercise. Can I just keep this up indefinitely? I'm female, 47, 5'5, 125.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    icewings27 wrote: »
    Ok, so I hit my goal weight and got my calories upped as well, but I was wondering...I'm very comfortable with 1200 a day. I feel good, I eat more if I exercise. Can I just keep this up indefinitely? I'm female, 47, 5'5, 125.

At maintenance you need to eat more than that.....I'm smaller than you and maintain on 2200 cals approx. The winner is the person who can maintain while getting to eat more...bump up your cals a few 100 and enjoy them :smile:
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    icewings27 wrote: »

In short: no. You'll simply keep losing weight, which at some point will result in you being underweight. Being underweight can cause health problems, just like being overweight.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm older than you and taller and I eat what MFP tells me plus my exercise calories and I've been maintaining 4 years. I was nervous at first. I had been at a 500 calorie deficit and upped by 250 for quite a while. Then I started losing and upped it all the way.

You trusted the system to lose. Trust it to maintain. If you keep losing or start gaining, adjust accordingly.
  • tlpco
    tlpco Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    tlpco wrote: »
    ive hit my goal weight of 129 but it Says 1800 calories is ok now. I'm wondering if this is too much. I'm 5 6 and 46 years old. I lost 14 lbs since June 3rd. Any advice?

You lost more than one pound per week at 1300 calories. 1800 is probably still slightly below your maintenance based on that rate of loss .... assuming accurate logging over the past few months.

• tlpco
    tlpco Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's been a couple of weeks. I went to Mexico for 1 week and gained 2lbs. My fitness pal had me scale back calories and I'm back down to goal weight 2 weeks later. I'm going to stick with 1800 calories next week and see how it goes.
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Since posting on October 4th, I have been eating about 1700 on average and have lost 2.5lbs so I am upping to 1800 and seeing how it goes.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you gain 2-3 pounds of permanent water weight when you stop eating at a deficit. Your body is replacing some of the glycogen stores it dumped when you first started. This is normal and shouldn't affect your size.

Don't mistake that gain as coming from eating more.