Exercising with a cold...

Options
I'm towards the ending of this cold (80% over it), starting to get my energy back. Is it ok for me to start working out, or would my recovery from this cold slow down. It's been over a week now and I'm dying to get back to my routine :(

Replies

• MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I feel worse when I'm not working out. Just make sure you wipe everything down with sanitizer so you avoid getting anyone else sick. Hah
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    the rule I go by is if the symptoms are above my neck i'll exercise but anything lower and i'm resting

so for example a runny nose and i'll run, but a chesty cough and you'll find my on the sofa with a blanket begging my wife for cups of tea
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    OH MAN....I love working out with a cold! Especially because if your nose is all stuffed up...then its going to run and drip like crazy...NOW here is the thing..keep a tissue on hand because holy hell that can be an awful site for someone to see...but...you know what...let them look!!! You are getting your burn on and just basically sweating out of your nostrils...sweating boogers but it doesn't matter...and then when you hit the showers just blow all that stuff out!!!!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I rest when I'm sick. And I definitely stay out of the gym - my need to train doesn't override my teammates need to stay healthy
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, still very undecided but we'll see how I feel later today. maybe try something like a lite walk on the treadmill. I have a slight cough so I won't go overboard.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I find I recover much faster from a cold when I work out/run. I do avoid the gym though (so I don't infect everyone else).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I am on the very tail end of a cold, so I empathize!

I always stay out of the gym when I'm sick with something infectious because it's simple, common courtesy.

If I'm coughing or my chest is congested, I avoid heavy cardio because I'll just end up coughing a lot the rest of the day, making myself and everyone around me miserable. I might go for an easy walk or bike ride, though.

If it's my nose, I'll do what I can without passing out from lack of oxygen. :lol: Seriously, if I'm forcing myself to become a mouth breather, I'll likely end up with the coughing fit I would have avoided if my chest was congested, so I often have to tone down what I'm doing a bit to compensate. I also make sure to bring something along on my run to clear out my nose every so often so I'm not blowing snot rockets into my neighbors' yards or my shirt.
  • vessiangel
    vessiangel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would wait till I am 100% well. You want your immune system to fight the cold, not repair the damage on your muscles from the gym. But I do heavy lifting. I also limit my protein intake and eat more carbs.