102 degrees today

Options
102 degrees today and I went for my regular fast walk.

102 degrees! That has to burn some extra calories... right?

Replies

• MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'd hope so! :smile:
  • mychirona
    mychirona Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've read that maintaining body temperature in low temps or high temps definitely ups your calorie burn!
  • NHGirl23
    NHGirl23 Posts: 2,657 Member
    Options
    Wow, in Minnesota!?! :noway:
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It was 100 degrees in MN where I live today... hottest day in 23 years.
  • YoAdrian2011
    Options
    I saw this post and knew right away you must be my neighbor! I'm in MN too. Can you believe the heat?!?! Someone told me today that it was hotter here than it was anywhere else in the country today! Not sure if its true but crazy if it is. It was too hot to workout outside, and the A/C at my gym was out for the past two days and being repaired... We were all extra sweaty at the gym today.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It might well be true. I live in Tucson, where it's regularly over 100°, and I think we just hit 100° today. Plus our humidity is in the single digits, so 100° here feels a lot cooler than 100° there!
  • ksharon22
    ksharon22 Posts: 111
    Options
    I work in River Falls, Wisconsin and when I left work today, the clock at the bank in town showed the temp at 101....I opted for treadmill time in my air conditioned basement tonight instead of running in the heat! But hey, about 35 degrees cooler forecasted for Friday! Only in MN/WI!! :happy:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You darned Minnesotans... quite hording the heat and send some to Manitoba!

Tell you what... we'll split the difference and settle for 85 degrees?

OK? Please? :bigsmile:
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I live in sunny california....and it rained from satrday-monday!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I live in sunny california....and it rained from satrday-monday!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    I would guess the heat DOES burn more cals for the same amount of effort because it certainly FEELS that way but if you're doing outdoor endurance activities it's a lot harder to go as far and as fast when the temperature rises - so you would probably have to wear an HRM and do a real world comparison
    also note whenever we get 'extreme weather alerts' we are advised not to over exert ourselves, seek out shade, wear sunblock and to drink more water etc. etc. etc.

We are having one of those days here today in Toronto, btw - and here's some advice our Mayor just posted on his Facebook page:

The public is advised to “Beat the Heat” by taking these precautions:
    • Drink lots of water or natural fruit juices - do not wait to feel thirsty.
    • Go to air conditioned places.
    • Wear loose fitting, light coloured clothing made of breathable fabric.
    • Stay out of the sun.
    • Reduce strenuous physical outdoor activity.
    • Never leave the elderly, children or pets unattended in a car.