Red beans and rice how is that sauce made?

Options
catscats222
catscats222 Posts: 1,598 Member
edited October 2015 in Recipes
I want to make red beans and brown rice.
Low fat without sausage, or oil added.
I know how to make rice.
And I know how to open a can of red beans.

But how is that creamy bean sauce made?
i want to make it low fat, and do not really want to add olive oil, etc

and yes, i googled
every single recipe contains sausage, oil, even 1/2 cup of bacon grease.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I found a LOT of recipes via google.

Low Calorie Red Beans and Rice
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It looks like you can get the creamy consistency by "reducing" the liquid after everything is cooked.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    ^ I think some of that creaminess is from the starch in the beans and the rice.

I do black beans and rice, but I never add oil. I cook my beans from dried beans, not canned. I wash and soak overnight, drain, cook/simmer until I like how they taste (30 minutes?). I often stir in some salsa for the the veggies and the flavor.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    ^ I think some of that creaminess is from the starch in the beans and the rice.

This. It will get creamier if you let them sit overnight (after cooking). Also, use as little water as possible in the cooking (barely cover the beans). Oil or fat also does help this; you probably won't get quite the same consistency without it, but its still good. Lastly, you can make it creamier if you don't rinse the beans after you soak them - rinse them well before soaking instead.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    My Dominican mother soaks dry beans for hours, then adds the seasonings.. tomato sauce, oil and other natural spices. Then boils the heck out of it... when the water is low she adds more and keeps boiling them; that is how the liquid gets tastier. the more water the more "sauce". I love when beans are made this way. However, after 45 years eating them, I still can't make them like hers..lol!