Fat Loss not just Weight Loss

Hey guys! My name is Ashley and I've always struggled with my weight. I took off 50lbs but have gained back 20 of those unfortunately. One of my biggest problems with losing weight is that I get discouraged, because even when I was at my thinnest and was my most in shape, I still hated my stomach. I feel like no matter what I do and no matter how much weight I lose, I will always have my stomach, and it's incredible disheartening. I just wanted to post this to see if anybody else ever feels this way and see what they've done about it! What have you done to get rid of belly fat? Are there foods or exercises you swear by? I would love to be able to discuss any tricks or advice anyone has to offer! I'm starting my weight loss journey over on here and would love any new, determined friends and advice anyone has to offer! I can't wait to hear from all of you :)

Replies

• Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    welcome to MFP! this thread seems like it might contain useful info for you http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Hi Ashley :]

I know exactly how you feel.

I'm currently at 125 lbs - a reasonably healthy weight for my height however I have a lot of fat all over my body still. I hate the term but a lot of people call it 'skinny fat', ugh! Whatever people want to label it, it's something that is very, very common with weight loss. Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce fat - it generally comes off where it wants to come off. I'm technically healthy but my tummy is still wobbly and I have arm fat and back fat! I've started 'recomping' (There is a thread on the maintaining weight section if you want more information) but basically, I am eating at my maintenance calories and lifting heavy weights in order to lose the fat but GAIN lean muscle. So whilst I'll likely stay the same weight (or gain a couple of pounds), I'll look much, much leaner than I do now.

I'd suggest lifting heavily now if you can - it really is a fantastic way to lose fat.
  • ashtastic93
    ashtastic93 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks so much you guys I really appreciate it! I've done some lifting but it sounds like that is definitely the key...so I'll have to bump up the amount I do :) It's so frustrating but I'm glad other people seem to understand! I just want to end up completely confident at the end of this and I don't want the fat I tend to still have get in my way of feeling that way. I'll focus more on that and eating right and see what happens :) I really appreciate your input, it was so helpful thank you!
  • cbtdvr97
    cbtdvr97 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2015
    Here is an interesting article. It is probably a tad too detailed but toward the bottom of the article there is a section titled: CHOOSE WHERE YOU LOSE that details the theory of how it could work.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/can-you-spot-target-fat-deposits.html

Here is another article that I read a couple years ago. Interesting read.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/spot-reduction-is-real

Good luck on your journey and hope this information helps.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    A simple motto, you lose fat in the kitchen and gain muscle in the gym. Muscle adds to your "fat burning machine", but diet is the key. Also, a lot of people hold onto extra fat as they eat WAY to many processed foods (which have loads of empty carbs, calories, salt and whatnot). All calories are not created "equal", which is quickly shown when you look at the macros. Cut out the "crappy" processed foods.

Good luck to you!! :)
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Well so I feel your pain.. I'm trying to thin out my stomach and love handles. Apparently the last to go for me. What I will tell you is that if you stick with it and stay in a slight calorie deficit (higher protein) and lift weights you will get some muscle and it will come. I can't wait to meet my Abs!!!
  • watkins81685
    watkins81685 Posts: 2 Member
    When I cut out wheat/gluten, my stomach shrank significantly. I know there is a lot of hype over "gluten free" diets being bogus and that most people who think they're allergic actually are not. I actually agree with the science that says it (the allergy) is hype. I know that I am not allergic to gluten as I have had the blood testing done but I have still found that my belly bloats up and looks huge when I eat it. Like, HUGE huge. When I avoid it all together, my entire midsection shrinks! A LOT. I try to stick with lean meats, lots of veggies and healthy fat like avocados and full fat canned coconut milk. It has made a gigantic difference. Someone said above that "all calories are not created equal" and it is SO TRUE. When I was simply calorie counting/restricting, I couldn't lose. Always plateaud! When I simply switched to strict lean meats, veg and healthy fats, and stopped calorie counting, it just melted off. Just something else to think about! ;-)