running shoes

Options
I need new running shoes and was wondering if I should alternate days of use with my old shoes until the new ones are broken in? The last time I got new shoes I had HORRIBLE shin splints. I also run on gravel, any suggestions???

Replies

• lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    Whenever I get new shoes, I alternate until the new ones become more comfortable on my feet but don't do what I did once and constantly only wear the old ones and only wear the new ones when I couldn't find the old ones. Alternate and stick to it.
  • debrnmedic
    Options
    I'm not an expert but you shouldn't be getting shin splints at all (even with new shoes). I'm not sure if you have ever had your stride evaluated but it's really worth it.

I use to just buy whatever felt good in the store, but several years ago I went to a store that specialized in running shoes and had my stride/walk/jog/run evaluated. They gave me several pairs to try out based on my eval. I also found out I had been buying the wrong sized shoe.

I tell all my friends that take up running to go and get the eval.....in my opinion it's the best time invested in my running success.

Just my thoughts....
  • rblonigen
    rblonigen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did have an eval done last time. I think I'll go back and let them know what happened and have things re-checked. thanks