Tips for gym guys

Options
I need tips I'm new hitting the gym want to loose 50 pds asap

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The gym is awesome for fitness, but weight loss is driven by consuming fewer calories than you burn. What you eat is going to be more important than your time in the gym.

What kind of tips are you looking for? What activities do you enjoy?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Don't eat too many baked beans before doing squats (I'm sure you can connect the dots)

Other than that, what type of tips are you looking for?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1_shy_girl wrote: »
    I need tips I'm new hitting the gym want to loose 50 pds asap

Why ASAP? What happens if you lose slow and steady and keep it off for life easily? Doesn't that sound better?

You lose weight in the kitchen

In the gym lift heavy and progressively ...see New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves (both books)

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

Why?
    wxy1lxqvbhdn.jpg

Also check our Staci ...she rocks

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

If you can't bring yourself to do free weights yet then do a decent bodyweight programme
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

But it all comes down to calorie intake for fat loss so don't forget your calorie counting
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • 1_shy_girl
    1_shy_girl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    True
  • timrpm
    timrpm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a few sessions with a personal trainer to teach you the right technique and to learn a decent all-round circuit for a bit of cardio, some strength (form is important!) and some flexibility. That keeps it varied and means you'll be toned in all the right places when the fat disappears, avoiding skinny-fat syndrome.

It can be a bit expensive, so maybe share with a friend OR do a circuit class (not as good since it will be less tailored to your needs). Most trainers I know will offer one trial session free.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise a bad diet. But yes deffo lift weights so long as you follow one of the programs listed above. Good luck op!!!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wipe down the equipment after each use and re-rack your weights.
    The weight loss however, will come from a caloric deficit.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You're not going to lose 50 pounds ASAP no matter what you do. Unless your definition of ASAP is several months to a year or you're open to the idea of cutting off a limb.

As others have said, you lose weight through a calorie deficit; eating fewer calories than your body burns. Exercise can be a component of creating or enlarging that deficit but in and of itself exercise isn't the answer.

Use MFP to log your food, stay at your calorie goal every day and you will lose weight. Hit the gym to burn extra calories, and even more importantly, lift weights to help maintain muscle and you could see results like the one in the pictures above.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Wipe down the equipment after each use and re-rack your weights....

^So simple. So over looked. So This.

Also: looking for help, or assistance? Don't hesitate to ask folks. Folks are almost always willing to spot, or help you form check/video you while doing a new move or the like. Just wait until they've finished their current set; nothing like getting asked, "Can I get a spotter" when you are squatting 365lb and on your 5th set of 5 reps. I almost choked/snort/laughed/grunted/died, as I thought, in a high pitched voice in my head "Really!? Right now? NOW? Omergaawd-finish-this-set me!!" I did spot them regardless. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    What kind of tips are you looking for?

I liked to do the weights first because sometimes, if I was doing cardio at the gym, I'd push it too far. Sometimes I'd just get carried away and go until I was really pooped. At that point, I wasn't up for weights. So I always did the weights first. That way, I could get as pooped as I pleased and not have to skip anything. :)

Remember that some of the people who like to give advice don't know wth they're talking about, so don't believe everything you hear from strangers who come up to advise you.

Don't skip weights because you heard that cardio burns more fat. Don't skip cardio because you heard that it doesn't build big muscles. The cardio and weights are BOTH good for you! If you want to be your healthiest, you'll do both.
  • 1_shy_girl
    Options

Thanks everyone
  • 1_shy_girl
    Options
    I JUST NEED MOTIVATION I GUESS EVERY TIME I FEEL STRESSED OUT I GIVE UP
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Find some activity you enjoy and then commit to doing that. Persistence pays.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    1_shy_girl wrote: »
    I JUST NEED MOTIVATION I GUESS EVERY TIME I FEEL STRESSED OUT I GIVE UP

Hard to help you with stress, but getting enough sleep helps, exercise will help, and don't push the calorie deficit too hard. If possible, you want to make the process enjoyable, not something that adds stress to your life.

• 1_shy_girl
    Options
    Thanks
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for stress. Keep changing things up to keep it interesting.

I can't give you motivation. You have it or you don't. If you don't, just quit and get back to it when you are motivated. Not he cycle of going through the motions of doing something you don't want to do, then quitting, then beating yourself up for not doing the thing you never wanted to do in the first place...that's a fast track to crazy town.

When you're motivated, nothing will stop you. When you aren't, nothing can make you. Figure out what you really want and go with that. :)
  • 1_shy_girl
    Options
    ;)