Plateau Weight, Oh, No!

Options
After a month of success losing with MFP, I'm at my dreaded Plateau Weight. The place where I go up one pound, down one pound, up 1/2 pound, down 1 1/2 pounds, etc.

MFP has set calorie goal at 1,200, I usually exercise quite a bit, eat most of the exercise calories back. Logically, I'm thinking I need to eat less of those calorie goals back. Not too few because I need the energy, but just because I have 800 extra calories, I guess I shouldn't eat a piece of Key Lime pie. And maybe I shouldn't have a glass of wine every night, even if I do have the calories.

I have 12 more pounds to lose. Help!

Replies

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    How long have you stayed the same?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A plateau is generally 8+ weeks. You are but stalled. As per eating back ALL of the exercise calories, where are you getting the burns? Remember, most of the time they are overestimated and therefore most only eat back half. Additionally, as your muscles repair, you will retain water that can mask a loss.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    A plateau is generally 8+ weeks. You are but stalled. As per eating back ALL of the exercise calories, where are you getting the burns? Remember, most of the time they are overestimated and therefore most only eat back half. Additionally, as your muscles repair, you will retain water that can mask a loss.
    All of this.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Should never have 800 "extra" calories. 500 ok. Eat more.
  • sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing and measure your waist, neck , arms. You will see the results. I'm in a plateau and still lost 2 inches and a pant size.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    do you log the wine? a glass can have 120-150 calories or more
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Its probably too early to tell if u r in a plateau. With 12 lbs to lose, what's your settings to lose per week? Should be 1 lbs tops.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

This.

Also, are you weighing in daily? If so, keep in mind that there are natural fluctuations in weight that aren't reflective of how much you're actually losing/gaining. Look at the long term trends. There are some apps (e.g. happy scale) to help you do this.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    How long has this plateau been happening? as others have said already, its usually only counted as such after 4 weeks at same weight...and simply means you're eating at maintenance cals. Tighten up your logging and you'll see the scale move again.

If you have started doing a new workout you will see temporary stalls as the muscles hold onto water to repair themselves.
  • Kennesaw24
    Kennesaw24 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I definitely log the wine! I log every morsel and drop. I have never felt quite so anal about something but I guess it works!

• Kennesaw24
    Kennesaw24 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thanks for your informed replies.

Maybe I'm not plateauing. I guess I saw this weight this morning and let my mind automatically go there because my plateau weight for the past 5 years has been right here. I won't let it stop me! It's probably somewhat mental. Like, I've gotten stuck here before so I just let myself get stuck.

I will only eat back half my exercise calories from here on out.
    I will drink more water.
    I won't weigh myself everyday (I don't normally).
    I will not be discouraged!

Have a great day!