Off The Wagon

Options
So I had started using MFP and working out semi-regularly back in January. I was doing well and had dropped from 212 down tom190. My dad was sick and passed a few months ago. At the end I had stopped working out and tracking food due to hospital visits and being in a different state of mind. Since then I haven't been able to get myself started. Haven't been on a scale but I can feel my pants are a bit tighter. Hoping that writing about it will help jump start me to get back on the wagon.

Replies

• kmoyes9
    kmoyes9 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome back -- just start logging what you are doing - no pressure to change and with much luck that will be enough to get the ball rolling .
    Sorry for your loss, you are still grieving - be gentle with yourself
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    kmoyes9 wrote: »
    Welcome back -- just start logging what you are doing - no pressure to change and with much luck that will be enough to get the ball rolling .
    Sorry for your loss, you are still grieving - be gentle with yourself

This is all excellent advice. I'd like to add that I applaud you for coming back before the problem got too much worse, especially with everything you've just been through. So sorry for your loss.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. Logged my breakfast and lunch so far and plan on hitting the treadmill later for some walking. My goal is to start back on my 5x5 lifting on the weekend.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. As mentioned, give yourself time to grieve. At the same time, improving your diet and getting active can do wonders for your mental health. Just don't put too high of expectations on yourself. Don't expect to jump right back to where you were. Slowly build back up. You'll be back to where you want to be in no time!
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Tough getting back at it during emotional times... and with season changes alone. Im finding myself in the same boat. In the past, I have found that it only takes me stepping through the door at the gym once for me to regain my motivation :) Even if you just hit some cardio and skip the weights the first time back . Good luck !
  • BklynFitGuy
    Options
    Thanks for the positive thoughts.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I think taking control again of your eating and health journey might be cathartic in a way. When you lose someone you love it is so out of your control and so hard to control your emotions. But this is something you can totally control...if you are ready. I agree with BZAH...it is so good for your mental health to feel like you are taking care of yourself physically. Also acknowledging that you are getting a handle on it before you've gone too far off the rails...that's a huge success! Time heals...I know it's a cliché, but also true!
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i know how you feel my grandfather just passed two weeks ago now and his wake was on my birthday so ive ben really off among other things lately lots of stress which for mee either creates over eating or forgetting to eat there dosnt seem to be a middle and im trying to find it ive ben trying to log even if i dont do good but i havent ben doing well with that either this is literally the heaviest ive ever been and im even considering surgery just to make sure it dosnt get worse and to aid me in loosing

im curently 262.8 i was almost 270 when i started back on here
  • BklynFitGuy
    Options
    Thank you all for the positive feedback. I logged my full day yesterday and also walked 2.25 miles on the treadmill.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO !
  • LorraineB89
    LorraineB89 Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I fell off the wagon a good while ago and due to a hectic year (I moved...twice, got a new job and, like yourself, my dad passed away a couple of months ago) I never managed to get back on. Deleted old account and created this new one (until/if I can get my old one reactivated) to get myself back on track. Feeling much better at logging full days and an upgraded gym membership.
    This is a great wagon to be on so I'm staying on it - I'm sure you will too once you're back into the swing of things.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    MikeDee_ny wrote: »
    Thank you all for the positive feedback. I logged my full day yesterday and also walked 2.25 miles on the treadmill.

How did it feel?
  • BklynFitGuy
    Options
    MikeDee_ny wrote: »

How did it feel?

Well typically when I would do it I'd watch an hour long episode of something on Netflix. That's what I did and I felt like I was pushing through the last few minutes. I guess it's expected after the layoff. I will say though, the rest of the evening I felt great as opposed to tired and sluggish.