Post workout nutrition

Options
hey everyone just wanting some advice on post workout nutrition 18 yrs old 70kgs looking to build lean muscle. I wanna know everyone's thoughts on how long after weight training should I consume my post workout meal ( also advice on whether it should be a cooked meal such as chicken breast and rice ) at the moment I've mainly been eating some oatmeal or yogurt with whey and cereal with high carbs and at least 1 source of healthy fats. Wanna change things up to ensure I'm taking full advantage of my growth hormones following a workout. Thanks heaps - Wyatt Cain

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    hey everyone just wanting some advice on post workout nutrition 18 yrs old 70kgs looking to build lean muscle. I wanna know everyone's thoughts on how long after weight training should I consume my post workout meal ( also advice on whether it should be a cooked meal such as chicken breast and rice ) at the moment I've mainly been eating some oatmeal or yogurt with whey and cereal with high carbs and at least 1 source of healthy fats. Wanna change things up to ensure I'm taking full advantage of my growth hormones following a workout. Thanks heaps - Wyatt Cain

Hey Wyatt,

It's actually a bit complex and this does a good job of explaining:
    www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Cliffs though -- get some protein in within a couple of hours of training and you're probably covering the majority of the benefits of precisely timing your intake.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't really matter. What matters is total daily intake.

Don't limit yourself to the ignorant 1980s bodybuilding diet of chicken, brown rice, and broccoli.

All whole foods are good. Limit processed foods and eat what you enjoy without overindulding beyond your daily means.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I tend to disagree that nutrient timing doesn't matter. After a workout you want to replenish your glycogen stores with carbs and provide your body with protein to rebuild. Liquids get absorbed quicker than whole foods so I'd recommend a shake made of whey protein (isolate if you can afford it) and waxy maize (a quick absorbing carb about $15/tub). I'd also recommend adding creatine 5g pre and post workout.

That being said, in order to gain muscle you must eat at a surplus. At 18 your metabolism is lightning fast still so I'd suggest eating as much as possible and following a structured lifting program. You will build muscle and the more muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest. Stick to this for a solid 6 months at least and you'll see big changes.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »
    I tend to disagree that nutrient timing doesn't matter. After a workout you want to replenish your glycogen stores with carbs and provide your body with protein to rebuild.

Replenishing "glycogen" (a fancy word for how carbs are stored as energy in the body) is not an issue in normal, active individuals with normal eating habits and no connecting health concerns. You're focusing on the wrong thing if replenishing glycogen stores is at the top of your list in regard to fitness & nutrition.
    jmt08c wrote: »
    Liquids get absorbed quicker than whole foods so I'd recommend a shake made of whey protein (isolate if you can afford it) and waxy maize (a quick absorbing carb about $15/tub). I'd also recommend adding creatine 5g pre and post workout.

Your muscles won't go catabolic overnight, so they especially won't go catabolic within an hour workout window. I highly suggest that you throw out the importance of nutrient timing. Also, creatine is a system saturater; it's not like caffeine where it must be taken preworkout. It has to build up in your system over time to offer benefits. Taking creatine pre- or post- workout is inconsequential. What matters is consistency, not timing.

• wyattcain1997
    wyattcain1997 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps guys helps heaps!
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wouldn't worry much about when as long as you consume your goal by the time you go to sleep.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Until your caloric intake is 100% on point, training program 100% on point, sleep/rest 100% on point, Macros 100% on point, then and only then should you worry about post-workout nutrition.
  • Bansh3e
    Bansh3e Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You need 60 grams or more of carbs after workout to replenish your glycogen stores.If you eat 2 bannans you are good, it does not matter when you eat it tho.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Bansh3e wrote: »
    You need 60 grams or more of carbs after workout to replenish your glycogen stores.If you eat 2 bannans you are good, it does not matter when you eat it tho.

No, I need 61g
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Bansh3e wrote: »

No, I need 61g

I only need 59

dance-of-joy1.jpg?w=390
  • psoasi
    psoasi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with @sixxpoint

You should take between 1 and 1.5g of carbohydrates per kilogram after your workout (70g - 105g).
    You can eat whatever you want, you don't need expend money in supplements if you fulfill your needs with a regular diet.

Here you have a website were they divide the supplements in 4 groups
    A=safe and proved by real studies that they really work
    B=safe and with proved effects, but they need further research
    C=proved that they don´t have any effect in your body.
    D=unsafe to consume and/or considered as doping products.

ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition

Take a look at their sections and you will find very useful and scientific-based information about sport nutrition.
  • psoasi
    psoasi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I forgot to share this too!!!
    Same source (Australian Institute of Sport).
    It's about "the latest information on what to eat before during and after exercise"

ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/competition_and_training