You should weigh ___ in 5 weeks*

Options
Has anyone really lost the amount of weight mfp says you will lose at the end of a log in by the time it came?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have occasionally in the past 2 years but there is a catch to that statement...

"If everyday was like today...." days are all different.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Sometimes more. Sometimes less. I suppose sometimes that amount.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I haven't...I have lost, but I'm not at the weight they keep saying I should be...that said, I didn't use a food scale the first two weeks, so I may have been off in my logging.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    BriTyler3 wrote: »
    Has anyone really lost the amount of weight mfp says you will lose at the end of a log in by the time it came?

More, actually. Most of the time.

Never exactly that amount.

I do find it motivational, and will write it in my calendar sometimes. It's a nice feeling to arrive on the day and be a kilogram or two lower than the prediction. :)

• looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Nope never. And it ticks me off. I have been so diligent. But I am lower than I was 5 weeks ago so I applaud my own journey
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Definitely, as some times I eat near maintenance for a day so it says I'll only be down 0.1lb in 5 weeks and sometimes I eat at my plan and it says I'll be down 7.5lb in 5 weeks. Since overall I'm following my plan I end up down 7.5 lb in 5 weeks as that is what I planned to achieve.

Following MFP I am down 29.7lb over 18 weeks compared to a plan of 29.5lb over 18 weeks. I fully intend to be able to say I was still on plan at week 30 when I should be done my weight loss.

If you develop a solid plan and follow it to the letter, then you will get the results you expect. Your solid plan should allow for adjustments for real life results vs theoretical results, but should also be based on actual numbers (weigh your food, log everything that goes in your mouth, etc...).
  • BriTyler3
    BriTyler3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So looking at everyone's answers it really depends on an account of things such as weighing your food, exercise & just the person over all. Mines always say i should be 10 pounds less in 5wks but i only tend to lose 5-6 pounds a month.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I use it more of a guideline, but I mostly don't pay attention. It uses the last weight that you recorded, so you'd have to record your weight daily for it to be really accurate, and eat exactly the same amount of calories and do exactly the same amount of activity every day.

As long as my weight is on a downward trend over time, I don't sweat the small stuff. If I go 3 or more weeks without a budge or if the scale goes up and doesn't come back down in a week, then I take a harder look at my food diary and make adjustments. Unless I have a big IDGAF day, the scale has been coming down pretty regularly between .5 to 1 pound a week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Sure--for a time I commonly lost more than MFP predicted.

Most people don't eat and workout the same every day, though, so of course the predictions are going to vary.
  • JullesBurn
    JullesBurn Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    looney9708 wrote: »
    Nope never. And it ticks me off. I have been so diligent. But I am lower than I was 5 weeks ago so I applaud my own journey

Ignore the 'shoulds' and embrace the "look what I'm doings - it's an improvement - so s&%k it shoulders!"
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    That would require me to actually eat perfectly and exercise every day for 5 weeks which has probably never happened in any 5 week span of my life.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, I don't pay any attention to the 'If every day was like today" notifications - My body is 100% unique, my plan entirely bespoke to what I can handle. I'm probably not going to lose exactly what MFP suggests - there are so many factors that play a part. It's a great 'keeping on track motivation booster' for those that really need that reassurance but for me, it's not something I use :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    So looking at everyone's answers it really depends on an account of things such as weighing your food, exercise & just the person over all. Mines always say i should be 10 pounds less in 5wks but i only tend to lose 5-6 pounds a month.

10 pounds? How many calories are you consuming in a day?

Mine usually tells me I'll be anywhere from 1.5 (3.3 lbs) to 2 kg (4.4 lbs) less in 5 weeks.
  • zenobia79
    zenobia79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The notification appears to be based on simple mathematics; calories in vs. calories out- which living systems do not abide by. Ignore it. It's about as useful as saying that rivers have directional flow to the oceans because it rains. Associated, but not causative.

I joined myfitnesspal on Monday whilst also starting on a keto regime- figuring that electronically tracking what I'm eating would assist me reach my goals. Since Monday I've dropped almost 9.5lbs in water weight. Today is Friday. That's only 5 days. On Tuesday, it said I would reach my (current) Friday weight in 5 weeks, November 10th. I've been eating the same things each day with only minor variations.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Ignore it, unless every day were like today.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    zenobia79 wrote: »
    The notification appears to be based on simple mathematics; calories in vs. calories out- which living systems do not abide by. Ignore it. It's about as useful as saying that rivers have directional flow to the oceans because it rains. Associated, but not causative.

I joined myfitnesspal on Monday whilst also starting on a keto regime- figuring that electronically tracking what I'm eating would assist me reach my goals. Since Monday I've dropped almost 9.5lbs in water weight. Today is Friday. That's only 5 days. On Tuesday, it said I would reach my (current) Friday weight in 5 weeks, November 10th. I've been eating the same things each day with only minor variations.

There's typically a huge water weight loss at first, though, especially with keto. That doesn't mean the estimates shouldn't work on average after that (although not like clockwork and not based on one day's eating and exercise).