How often should you have a "Crazy Day" during your diet?

Options
Some people can afford to have one day of their diet and exercise goal be free to eat something they should not usually consume. How often should someone do that? Or, shoudl they do it at all? Like, one day a month I can eat pasta? That would be my idea of a crazy day.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you on a calorie counting plan? If you account for the calories, you can eat pasta as often as you like.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Why not eat pasta everyday? If I have a 'crazy day' it won't be to eat a specific thing. If I want a specific food, I'll work it into my calories. I use 'crazy days' for things like parties and celebrations, where I don't want the worry of having to try to count or limit what I'm eating.
  • susan_mcconnell
    susan_mcconnell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am counting calories but also keeping track of percentage of protein, fats, carbs, and sugars. Or is that a given with calorie counting?
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to fit the things I want into my regular day. It keeps me from over eating when I do have them. It takes planning, but even on my current very low calorie plan, I have been able to eat pasta, pizza, cookies, ice cream, etc. I just have smaller portions than I used to. In the past, when I was eating at 1400 - I would eat a little less on some days and exercise a bit more to give myself more room on the weekends to enjoy a meal out or some cocktails, etc.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    I am counting calories but also keeping track of percentage of protein, fats, carbs, and sugars. Or is that a given with calorie counting?

I'm not sure what your specific macro goals are, but you should be able to fit pasta into those goals. Most plans, except for low carbohydrate ones, should allow for daily consumption of something like bread, pasta, rice if you want it.

• DemoraFairy
    Options

Some people do, some don't. I don't track them especially carefully, but if I have a choice of two foods and have no preference between them, I'll go with which one fits my macros more that day.

Unless you're specifically going low carb you can still eat pasta if you want.
  • susan_mcconnell
    susan_mcconnell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My biggest diet issue is watching portion sizes. That is why I try to avoid high carb foods, but that is not part of my diet plan officially.
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    My biggest diet issue is watching portion sizes. That is why I try to avoid high carb foods, but that is not part of my diet plan officially.

Just weigh them out so you know your portions are correct. Much better than only having pasta once a month, I think!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

A serving of pasta is two ounces (dry). I will mix it with lots of sauce, vegetables, and protein (I use beans or tofu, you can use what you like best). This way you can have a big bowl of pasta without consuming more calories than you would like. The combination of fat and protein with the carbohydrate is also very satisfying for me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My family eats pasta once a week. I eat one or two servings of it. You can fit most foods into your daily/weekly life fairly easily if you plan out your meals.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Susan if you want pasta eat pasta. Don't limit yourself to one day a month. You've been given a certain amount of calories a day. Just stay within that number. If you know your going to have a high calorie day on Friday because you're going to go out to dinner then trim 100 off mon-thurs to help compensate. Or workout a little more. I eat Pizza once a week and have lost 60 pounds in the last 6 months. Eat the foods you like just plan for it.