Morning or Evening workout?

Options
Which gets the best results? I tend to exercise in the evening because getting up at 4am seems to be a bit difficult some days but, I would like to know if anyone knows which gets results?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The one that you will do consistently. For some of us, that is an AM workout. For others, it's a PM workout.

• blissliz89
    blissliz89 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The one that you will do consistently. For some of us, that is an AM workout. For others, it's a PM workout.

So in reality, it doesn't matter what time of day it is done?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    picenois89 wrote: »

I have seen various studies attributing benefits to working out earlier or later -- I'm not sure how well they hold up, as most of them seem to be pretty small. But if you tend to hit snooze for the 4 AM workout, it doesn't really matter if an AM workout is slightly better -- the workout you do in the evening is always better than the workout you skip because it's too early.
  • PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter. I've done both, but I found it really hard to keep getting up at 4am so now I work out after work.
  • blissliz89
    Options
    PeiDub wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter. I've done both, but I found it really hard to keep getting up at 4am so now I work out after work.

It sure is! Specially with the cold days coming!
  • blissliz89
    Options

I have seen various studies attributing benefits to working out earlier or later -- I'm not sure how well they hold up, as most of them seem to be pretty small. But if you tend to hit snooze for the 4 AM workout, it doesn't really matter if an AM workout is slightly better -- the workout you do in the evening is always better than the workout you skip because it's too early.

And I sleep much better too
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

A million times this. (Something of which I also frequently need to remind myself.)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I have to be at work at 4 AM once a week, but I'm not going to get up the other days at that time to work out. I prefer my sleep and then a later (8-10 AM usually on my days off, evenings on my other days) workout.
  • blissliz89
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I have to be at work at 4 AM once a week, but I'm not going to get up the other days at that time to work out. I prefer my sleep and then a later (8-10 AM usually on my days off, evenings on my other days) workout.

Not all of us are morning people lol
  • fitzman84
    fitzman84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Consistency is the most important, followed by intensity, then rest. If you cut your sleep short in order to workout you wont progress as fast.
  • blissliz89
    Options
    7 hours of sleep at least, right?
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "the one that you will do consistently". I like to sleep in the morning and I have to get up and 4:30 or 5:00 am if I want to workout in the morning. I will do it if I have a conflict that will keep me out of the gym after work, but I try to avoid the early mornings. Also, if I am doing strength training, there is a noticeable difference in how much I can lift if I attempt to workout in the morning.
  • blissliz89
    Options
    I'm definitely with you on that one. I wake up at 5 normally to get ready for work. That means I would have to get up an hour to 30 min before..
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    I agree with the "the one that you will do consistently". I like to sleep in the morning and I have to get up and 4:30 or 5:00 am if I want to workout in the morning. I will do it if I have a conflict that will keep me out of the gym after work, but I try to avoid the early mornings. Also, if I am doing strength training, there is a noticeable difference in how much I can lift if I attempt to workout in the morning.

Seconded. My morning workouts suck.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person but I workout late afternoons, early evenings. I ensure that I consume just enough carbs couple of hours prior to WOs. That gives me optimal amount of energy to perform at the gym. That wouldn't be so feasible if I had to workout at 6 am. However there are times when I have to workout in the AM, then I just go and workout fasted and seem to have enough energy to lift. Its just weird how our bodies work sometimes :)
  • fitzman84
    fitzman84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, but 7-9 hours of sleep each night is standard. I know some people who are fine on 5-6 hours...
  • blissliz89
    Options
    Absolutely. We all have different schedules and some of us aren't morning people. I guess bottom line is just getting the workout in no matter what time of day and stay constant
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evening, typically around 6:30pm. A lot of people avoid evening workouts because it messes with their sleep. I've never had a problem getting to sleep after a workout, though.
  • blissliz89
    Options
    Me too, Keith3481.. I sleep very good after since I'm all tired from my workout