Please throw some light.....

Options
Can any one here throw some light on Virgin Coconut Oil. Its benefits, its side effects, who can take that & who should not, quantity to he take as well as any specific methods to be followed for consuming VCO.

Replies

• krishnahbv
    krishnahbv Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was told its safe & very helpful in loosing weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    "Helpful in losing weight" doesn't mean anything. You lose weight through a calorie deficit and only that. Ingesting coconut oil may make it easier for you to eat less overall; if it does, it may be effective for you, but you still need to eat less overall.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    It is. Its a healthy fat:) gets a bad rap tho like avacados. But anyways I take it in my coffee 1 or 2 tbsp with a touch of creamer and blend addsome sweet ner I you like a sweet. I cant even touch on all the benefits but can help with regularity! Can be used to cook with, to do mouth pulling, in fat bombs and other stuff. It can be used on skin for dry skin. Check out the book coccoconut oil miracle it tells you everything you want to know!

However if you have gallbladder issues it may cause issue.

personally I love it! Also there are youtube vids on it and google it bc there is alot to be learned about it!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    "Helpful in losing weight" doesn't mean anything. You lose weight through a calorie deficit and only that. Ingesting coconut oil may make it easier for you to eat less overall; if it does, it may be effective for you, but you still need to eat less overall.

This. Some people find fats satiating. Others don't. If it helps you stay in a calorie deficit it will help you lose weight. If you add it in to your diet but don't eat in a calorie deficit it won't help you lose weight. It's not magic (and it's pretty calorie dense, so be sure you weigh it out and log it properly).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good books out there on cocnut oil and medium chain triglycerides (MCT). Health benefits can include appetite suppression and weight loss (if calories are lowered, improved mental function, better skin, less pain, fewer headaches and more.

MCT's are thought to increase ketone production and quite a few of the benefits come from the ketones.

I've read some source that say a larger adult (175lb+) can start with 4 Tbs per day. I would start lower though as too much too fast can cause stomach upset and D. 1Tbs is a good start. For theraputic uses, like for alzheimer's patients, I've seen it said that 8+ Tbs is good.

I probably have 3-4Tbs per day from coconut oil, shredded coconut and coconut cream.

• queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I really like the flavor and use it to stir fry vegetables, breakfast potatoes, anything spicy really (which is most of what I cook) its about as healthy as lard...which isn't meant to be a slam. I use lard too. Its all about quantity and using delicious fats makes food more satisfying to me and I think it helps with portion control. It is also great for dry skin and you can use it as a deep conditioning treatment for your hair. good stuff to have around.
  • krishnahbv
    krishnahbv Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was also told that VCO cold pressed, is rich in Lyric Acid, which keeps Liver & Intestine clean from fungus, bad bacterias etc.,
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Here is a nice, balanced, sourced article on coconut oil. Short answer: it's neither a miracle food or something to avoid, and it tastes good in various recipes, some of which are helpfully included.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil. I use it on my skin.