All natural PCOS

Options
Hi! I've been struggling with PCOS ever since I was a teen. I have yet to experience some of the typical symptoms like alopecia or facial hair but I do have major cysts and hormonal imbalances. I have tried every medication known to man and hated all of it.

Now I am venturing into the world of keto have been taking supplements such as dong quai, vitex, inositol, and n-Actly cystine. Anyone experimented with herbs and supplements with success on controlling pcos symptoms?? I'm on CD 55, and no I am NOT pregnant.

Replies

• ALMOSTkickedpcos
    ALMOSTkickedpcos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I tried some but they are of no help, literally no help. If other meds makes you feel sick then change your diet and start moving. It is of greater help. Makes feel better than any med.
    Check this out :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10264570/ones-fighting-pcos#latest
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Best thing I've found that helps is losing weight. Doesn't help everyone, but it does for me. PCOS is frustrating in that most people get the symptoms differently. I have the extra hair, acne, and no periods. I don't have the cysts, insulin resistance or skin pigmentation issues. All my doctors ever did was put me on BC, which made my skin worse and made me gain like 30 lbs... so I'm going with the calorie counting and weight loss for now. If you have insulin resistance, that's what makes weight loss hard. So, the keto is the right direction if that's the case. If you are not IR, I wouldn't worry too much about the carbs unless you feel better that way. I eat lots of carbs and I'm losing on just a deficit alone. You will probably find more answers about the supplements in the P.C.O.SIS group here. Good luck!
  • knelson095
    Options
    knelson095 wrote: »
    Best thing I've found that helps is losing weight. Doesn't help everyone, but it does for me. PCOS is frustrating in that most people get the symptoms differently. I have the extra hair, acne, and no periods. I don't have the cysts, insulin resistance or skin pigmentation issues. All my doctors ever did was put me on BC, which made my skin worse and made me gain like 30 lbs... so I'm going with the calorie counting and weight loss for now. If you have insulin resistance, that's what makes weight loss hard. So, the keto is the right direction if that's the case. If you are not IR, I wouldn't worry too much about the carbs unless you feel better that way. I eat lots of carbs and I'm losing on just a deficit alone. You will probably find more answers about the supplements in the P.C.O.SIS group here. Good luck!

Here's the link:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • ALMOSTkickedpcos
    Options

Hi! I started the same as yours. With all the hard work I am a lot better now. Still few steps more.
    I tried to motivate other women suffering same. Because I remember, during my journey I required it a lot. :smile:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10264570/ones-fighting-pcos#latest
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Ooh, finally someone with the same trifecta as me. A lot of the PCOS advice here is aimed at people with IR, which I don't have (nor do I have cysts or central obesity), so I've decided to just try weight loss first and see how that works. BC didn't make me gain (or if it did, it was minute), but that's different for everyone, so I'm not saying it can't happen. I have about 20 lbs to lose, and it seems it'll come off as long as I stick to a deficit. :)
  • steffanie7x
    steffanie7x Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've got a while to go yet...just getting back on this train. I have PCOS but my (old) doctor left it undiagnosed for years so it's progressed pretty badly. I am about to start metformin again but not looking forward to it. Nice to know I'm not alone.
  • ALMOSTkickedpcos
    Options
    I've got a while to go yet...just getting back on this train. I have PCOS but my (old) doctor left it undiagnosed for years so it's progressed pretty badly. I am about to start metformin again but not looking forward to it. Nice to know I'm not alone.

Hi! I started the same as yours. With all the hard work I am a lot better now. Still few steps more.
    I tried to motivate other women suffering same. Because I remember, during my journey I required it a lot. :smile:
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think when insulin resistance isnt involved it may be easier to overcome pcos. I wasnt overweight, but I became heavier than what my body was used to and a dr told me that losing weight would help me and anyone with pcos. Strangely my last results no longer showed pcos even though i did not lose weight. The only thing I did different is quit coffee/caffeine (after trying a million other things). Maybe it only worked for me, or maybe its temporary, but I will continue to suggest it in case it helps someone else. Good luck :)
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Exercise has been a huge help for me in regulating my periods and a few other mild symptoms I have related to PCOS.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I happen to have PCOS, but reason I am posting is because my husband is a scientist, currently working on PCOS and infertility. It seems that all evidence suggests that losing 10% of body weight is always going to help any symptoms... obviously there are more details and specifics, but thats what it boils down to....
  • tinkie_04
    tinkie_04 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As much as we hate to hear the doctor say it over and over and over and over (...you get the point), losing weight has helped me. I've been a yoyo since I was diagnosed as a teen and every time I'm in my smaller sizes, my PCOS is almost nonexistent (at least in the symptoms). Buy those weight losses were unintentional, so I'm now focusing on intentional weight loss so I don't have to deal with this anymore.

I know the most frustrating part is the catch 22. If you lose weight, your PCOS gets better. But your PCOS makes you tired, depressed and craving everything "bad" for you. But you can do it! Start with cutting out bread. For others, carbs aren't good. For us, every bit of it finds a permanent residence somewhere.

Good luck
  • JanineAytekin
    JanineAytekin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Vitex is awesome for controlling PCOS. Go natural sweetheart, it is the best way. I too have PCOS. no alopea but I have facial hair. The vitex not only helped with the symptoms but also helped me to lose weight.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Lose weight and exercise daily. These are the first and most effective things for controlling PCOS. They are not a guarantee that you will be symptom free or naturally conceive, but they increase your chances dramatically.
  • knelson095
    Options
    Russandol wrote: »

Ooh, finally someone with the same trifecta as me. A lot of the PCOS advice here is aimed at people with IR, which I don't have (nor do I have cysts or central obesity), so I've decided to just try weight loss first and see how that works. BC didn't make me gain (or if it did, it was minute), but that's different for everyone, so I'm not saying it can't happen. I have about 20 lbs to lose, and it seems it'll come off as long as I stick to a deficit. :)

Haha, yay! Twinsies!
    I don't think PCOS is what made me be overweight, but being overweight makes my symptoms worse.
    I lost about 7% of my total weight and got the first period I've had in almost a year, so the weight loss helps for sure. At least for me.

Unfortunately, the period cause some major water weight fluctuations and I hit a stall, 12 days with no losses...but that's a whole different thing...lol.

Anyway, good luck with getting it under control!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Inositol and NAC are great, but keto, or even keeping carbs below 100 will fix you up fine.