Cheap nutritious food?

Options
ellevancleave
ellevancleave Posts: 2 Member
I love eating healthy but I'm a student so it's hard to keep a happy body when salads are $5.00 near me.
Can anyone give me some tips or recipes on how to eat healthy without breaking the bank?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Do you have a fridge and a microwave?
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Tuna ( canned)
    Eggs
    Bread(goes a long way)
    Rice(goes a long way)
    Rotisserie chicken ( usually about 5 bucks. though higher in sodium and such)
    Pre packaged bags of salad
    Avacados (bit expensive but you can mash 2 with some seasonings and use it for a few days as a condiment for sandwiches and such.

That is. . if you have a fridge like sabine says
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Beans are cheap and very nutritious.
  • dhygirl
    dhygirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Buy your own head of lettuce and chop yourself. Only about 1.50. Get some eggs and boil them and a pack of lunch meat and chop up for a chef salad. Or a can of tuna on top dressed up how you like.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Sardines
  • brimin101
    brimin101 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Frozen chicken, frozen veggies, canned tuna, beans, rice, ramen noodles, bulk package of meat (2 lbs = 8 4oz servings). Seasonal fruit and veggies are generally on sale due to the large influx to the store.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Google freezer meals. Then you can buy ingredients in bulk and on sale, prepare them, freeze them, and then use them when you are in the mood for a tasty meal.
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The MFP blog Hello Healthy has lots of great suggestions, the one from yesterday is perfect for this question:
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/your-guide-to-budget-friendly-grocery-shopping-infographic/
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    In school, I lived on carrots dipped in peanut butter. Healthy, inexpensive & filling. Also egg & spinach scrambles.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful if you can get your hands on a copy of "A Man, A Can, A Microwave". It's published by the same folks who publish Men's Health (hence the "A Man" in the title). The recipes are health-oriented, simple, and relatively cheap. All you need is a microwave and some appropriate dishes.

If you have more cooking devices available to you, you could also check out the other "A Man, A Can..." books, which are high up on my list of things for parents to give as gifts whenever it's time for their kids to leave the nest.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What you are able to accomplish depends on the equipment available to you. Do you have a freezer? Frozen vegetables keep longer and are often cheaper than the fresh.

If you have a slow cooker you can cook up beans or rice, also inexpensive.