Grandma's Macaroni Help!

Options
CaseyGwaltney
CaseyGwaltney Posts: 39 Member
Ok, I have been eating this dish for as long as I can remember. As you can see from the picture, the "dinner" is just the whole casserole dish. I measured and weighed everything out on my scale. Now the problem is that i can eat this for a week!!

How do i make it into correct portions for my fitnesspal?? dt0483122izs.jpg

Replies

• lesleyann2711
    lesleyann2711 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Did you click onto Recipes first? Then add each of the ingredients and during the process you choose a serving size.
  • CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    I had my phone read the barcode so it incorporated those things in for me!
  • lesleyann2711
    Options
    b111wibl37g0.png
  • lesleyann2711
    Options
    Click on recipes, then 'add ingredients manually'. It will allow you to add in the text and it will ask for serving size. It is a bit fiddly but I wrote in your ingredients and it sort of matched them. How many portions would you say it is?
  • CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    Awesome!!!! Idk how many portions. It's a large casserole dish. I was able to eat 10 oz easy last night lol I was starving though
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Another way to track the portions is to weigh the entire dish and list it as that many portions. i.e. if it comes out at 650 grams, say 650 portions. Then weigh what you take.
  • CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    Right! That's what I did so I got about 54.25 cals per oz lol that's a lot but so yummy!
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    I would definitely eat your macaroni.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Another way to track the portions is to weigh the entire dish and list it as that many portions. i.e. if it comes out at 650 grams, say 650 portions. Then weigh what you take.

Ok, sorry for the minor hijack, but I tried this last night, and I ended up with 2450g, so that's how many servings I made. I logged 150g (that's what I weighed into my premeasured containers, and it said each serving was 3g of protein (since it made 16 servings, I changed it to 16, and that showed a serving had 30g of protein). Not sure why this doesn't work for me, but I'm guessing it has rounding issues.
  • CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    hmmm idk. I know i had a total of 42 oz of ingredients. i divided the total of all calories by the oz. I think that was correct. Because i put a portion on my scale and it was 10 oz, meaning that i had to multiply that by the 54.25 cals per oz.

This is all new and semi confusing to me too.
  • ace41010
    ace41010 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Macaroni is my down fall. I could eat it all day, every day. I made it a few times with greek yogurt. Have you tried that?
  • CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    Yum! No I've never changed my recipe lol I love the crunch from it being baked!!!!!! Might have to try it with yogurt!!
  • cindyjgates56
    cindyjgates56 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Once made, cut your casserole into equal portions, count the number, and the then add as "number of servings" as Lesley Ann did above. Remember, counting calories is not exact science, a general ballpark number is good enough. And actually, your recipe as stands is considered low fat (< 30% of calories from fat) by the Heart Association. My original version contains eggs, 1/2 & 1/2, 4 cheeses, butter, macaroni, & breadcrumbs (!) but it is oh so delicious! I skimmed the fat on my recipe by using lower fat milks and cheeses, or using a combination of say 2% & skim milk. And while I still do the full-fat version for holidays, I use the skimmed version throughout the year.
  • CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    we need a like button on these posts!!!
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

Ok, sorry for the minor hijack, but I tried this last night, and I ended up with 2450g, so that's how many servings I made. I logged 150g (that's what I weighed into my premeasured containers, and it said each serving was 3g of protein (since it made 16 servings, I changed it to 16, and that showed a serving had 30g of protein). Not sure why this doesn't work for me, but I'm guessing it has rounding issues.

try dividing both numbers by 10. so the whole recipe will have 245 servings, and you ate 15 servings for dinner. you can also record partial servings in meals, so if you ate 156 g you can record 15.6 servings. I think the servings counter on the recipes function only goes so high...