Need help choosing a good exercise program

Options
mialsya
mialsya Posts: 188 Member
I'm a little over a week into my new lifestyle and am wanting to add some kick to my exercise program. I have been walking 2 to 3 miles each day but want to add some toning and strength training to it to maximize calorie burn without going to the gym (still too self-conscious). I'm not athletic at all and need something with levels to it. I have a WiiFit and started the Biggest Loser program on it, but it's only 20 minutes a day and I want something a little more. Any suggestions? What have you used that you really liked or what are you using that is really helping? I have all over problem zones (currently at 275 and trying to get down to 145 eventually).

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Get Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and some hand weights. [:
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I just started Chalean Extreme and I really like it plus I have the Zumba DVDs and those are great too. I even have her other program TurboFire coming in the mail any day now.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Get Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and some hand weights. [:
    Works great!!! I love it too and saw great results in a short amount of time :)
  • myshell67
    myshell67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i have a couple of jillian michaels dvds for beginners. one for the frontside, one for the backside. once i feel comfortable with these, i'm gonna go for the 30 day shred.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You're at an awesome start already. If you keep up with the walking, you'll see amazing results in the long-run.

I'm going to guess that 2 - 3 miles takes quite a bit of time as well (it takes me more than 25 minutes to run 3 miles let alone walk!).

I'd recommend trying out pacing yourself in intervals. Rather than walking the 2 - 3 miles at a consistent pace, walk faster/harder for 2 minutes and then go normal for 3 (or 5, you're the boss).

Keep up the motivation!
  • cherylwhite
    cherylwhite Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ...or Jillian Michaels "No more trouble zones". A longer workout, about 50 minutes and very tough. It has worked well for me!
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I used Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVD's, and her program on Exercise TV. She has one - 5 mile programs. It's low impact aerobics High intensity, and u can raise the intensity of the impact to your individual needs ,
  • jjcook96
    jjcook96 Posts: 4
    Options
    I love the zumba! But also some hand weights or the stretchy bands.
  • silversong24
    silversong24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Can't you change the length of the work out on biggest loser? Should be able to adjust length and intensity.
  • meryllb
    meryllb Posts: 28
    Options
    peruse amazons exercise dvd selection... i got a bunch of 4 or 5 disc sets for around 10 - 15$ each. you can also try craigslist for used equipment (or amazon), like treadmills or ellipticals - i put mine in front of the t.v. and now use it all the time! when it was in my office i never used it, now i get on it during my shows, while i'm waiting for dinner, etc. i would also invest in hand weights like others suggested or resistance bands that you can do at home so its easier to integrate into your routine. i found that with all the stuff i have at home now, i work out almost 2 hours a day, just fitting in 10 - 20 minutes here and there!
  • MrsLinZL
    MrsLinZL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The body for life workout plan is a great one! It alternates cardio days and weight training days, and your weight training days alternate between lower body/abs and upper body. You get a great workout everyday, and it's always something different. Best of all it only takes 45 minutes and you can do it at home. just get some weights in different increments (I have the bowflex dial a weights...highly recommend them for this!). You can get the workout schedule at bodyforlife.com

Have fun with whatever you choose and good luck!!!
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Can't you change the length of the work out on biggest loser? Should be able to adjust length and intensity.

I've browsed around the disk, but I'm not sure if you can. You enter in your stats and then choose a 4 week, 8 week, or 12 week challenge and it sets everything for you. I chose the 4 week challenge to get started. I think as you go, it may get longer and more intense. The first day with "light" yoga, and I admit, it kicked my butt.
  • silversong24
    silversong24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

I've browsed around the disk, but I'm not sure if you can. You enter in your stats and then choose a 4 week, 8 week, or 12 week challenge and it sets everything for you. I chose the 4 week challenge to get started. I think as you go, it may get longer and more intense. The first day with "light" yoga, and I admit, it kicked my butt.

I am not sure about the Wii version as I use Kinect, but I believe I found the option to change my routine settings under settings on the menu once I logged into my fitness challenge.... If not it offers me a chance to change my length and intensity at the end of each week after the weigh in and everything. =) Hope this helps!