When to make time to work out?

Options
Hi, I am having trouble finding what time to work out (go to the gym) works best for me. I have just started a new job a couple weeks ago and have been having trouble getting motivated.

I work full time, 9:30-6:30PM. I am not a morning person so a morning workout to me would be hard to wakeup early for, then after work I am always super hungry and want to go home and eat dinner. After eating and cleaning up it seems to get late and I am tired and don't feel like leaving the house. Any advice?

Thank you!

Replies

• biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    One option would be to at minimum workout 4 days a week - 2 on weekends and 2 weekdays. So that means you would only have to worry about working out just two days after work. since you're so hungry right after work, I would recommend having some snacks that can give you quick energy boost, that can be utilized at the gym. Or you can workout on the weekends until you can muster up some energy to do it in the evenings after works.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Exercise videos after dinner
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Learn to workout in the morning. 9:30 is not early. Myself and many other people have eaten, worked out, cleaned up, commuted 30-60 minutes and worked 2-3 hours by 9:30.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you rule out morning and night and can't work in the afternoon, you've made yourself stuck. You didn't mention a second job or volunteer responsibilities or children or anything else that takes up time between 6:30 pm and 9:30 am., which to me looks like you have plenty of time for working out. When exercising is a priority for you, you will find the time to do it.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Learn to workout in the morning. 9:30 is not early. Myself and many other people have eaten, worked out, cleaned up, commuted 30-60 minutes and worked 2-3 hours by 9:30.

This exactly. If you want to work out enough, you will find the time.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    pobalita wrote: »

^^
    These. I work 8-5, but the day is longer with commuting. I started working out in the evenings but then hated having that hanging over my head all day. I also feel like I just want to go home after work, have dinner, and relax. I now get up at 5am and am at the gym around 5:45. Waking up early is an adjustment, but....I wanted to do this, so I'm doing it. It gets to be a new normal after a couple weeks.

• thepersonwiththeface
    Options
    Waking up early to workout is hard at first, but you can get into the habit pretty quickly(especially if you make yourself go to bed at a decent hour). By doing it first thing in the morning, you're able to make sure that nothing gets in the way. You don't necessarily have to go to the gym(if that saves you time or whatever), you can just go for a run/walk/do some bodyweight exercises/exercise videos/whatever. It'll be hard at first getting into the grove of waking up and exercising, so you can start slow if that helps. Start going to bed earlier and setting your alarm for earlier, and then maybe start with just going for a walk before you get ready to go. (you can even sleep in your workout clothes!)
  • thepersonwiththeface
    Options
    You could also bring a snack to work to eat before you leave so that you can get in a workout before dinner.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Eat a snack on your way to the gym after work. Simple solution. :)
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Ideal would be if you had a gym/fitness room in your office building. Then you wouldn't let yourself go home until you'd worked out or you could do it on a break or as part of your lunch hour. Or maybe you even COULD get there slightly earlier - half an hour to start with? - and work out then. If this doesn't exist, then bring your sneakers to the office and eat lunch quickly and walk/run in the area, even around your building several times. And maybe signing up for a fitness class to stop in on on your way home from work might work for you.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

x1000000

Either you want it, or you don't. I get up at 4:15 four days a week. It's either that or 10/11pm.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what will work best for you, make compromises, and fit something in somewhere. Maybe it won't be leaving the house to go to the gym any more. Maybe it will have to be working out at home, getting up earlier, or something.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

x1000000

Either you want it, or you don't. I get up at 4:15 four days a week. It's either that or 10/11pm.

Co-signed.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    yeah you'll just have to decide and start doing it. I wish my days could start at 930, and I'd kill to be off by 630. I get up at 5 to have time to work out before the kids wake up and I have to get to school, then work. I'm off around 830pm, in bed by 10. whichever you decide and start doing will become habit, but no one can give you a trick to get extra hours in the day we all get the same!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Exercise videos after dinner

This^

I can't get myself to leave the house either. With snow & ice season coming....it's just going to get worse (for me).
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Get up in the morning. You will learn to like it. I get up every morning at 4am to work out and wouldn't ever trade it for a 7pm work out.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    hrush1889 wrote: »
    Hi, I am having trouble finding what time to work out (go to the gym) works best for me. I have just started a new job a couple weeks ago and have been having trouble getting motivated.

I work full time, 9:30-6:30PM. I am not a morning person so a morning workout to me would be hard to wakeup early for, then after work I am always super hungry and want to go home and eat dinner. After eating and cleaning up it seems to get late and I am tired and don't feel like leaving the house. Any advice?

Thank you!

Take a walk on your lunch break

Pack a gym bag and hit the gym on the way to work, or in the evening on your way home

Get your biggest workouts done on your days off

Whatever you do, it's not about having enough time ( which frankly, your work schedule is like, the EASIEST to plan stuff around), but it's about making priorities and habits.

This ^^
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    You'll make it work when you want it enough. Either get up earlier or take an afternoon snack and go straight after work. Easy.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Ever sat down and honestly calculated the hours of TV or or video services you view on a typical day? That's usually a spot people find they can live with giving up.