What's wrong with 1200 calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand the net/gross thing when it comes to calories (although I do understand it when looking at my paycheck, lol)...

MFP gives you 1200 net (for example), which means 1200 after exercise calories, not 1200, no matter how much you exercise. If you run 10 miles and eat back 800 extra calories for 2000, that's 1200 net (and I think it's perfectly sensible to cut exercise calories some). If you run 10 miles and continue to eat 1200, that's way too low a net (400 or so), and not healthy.

From what you said it sounds like you are doing 1200 net.

Ugh math. :open_mouth: lol. So I start with 1200 for the day. Then I exercise and get 100 calories from that (because remember I'm taking only half of what MFP says I've burned). At the end of the day I've eaten 1300. Is that what you mean by "1200 net"? Yeah, I'm dumb when it comes to math. [insert eye roll at me]

So when the OP asked about eating only 1200 calories and I said I was, really I'm not if I eat exercise calories too? So I guess I take back my original answer. lol.

Yes, that's right, and yes, you are eating 1200 net (and 1300 gross or whatever, depending on the day). That's what I mean when I say I ate 1250 too. One problem is many who eat 1200 don't understand that's how MFP works and often exercise hard and don't eat back calories on top of it, which is quite different than 1200 net. So that's why I brought in that distinction.
  • lyndefisher
    lyndefisher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5, 54yrs and started this plan at the end of June. I am down 34 lbs and have been on a 1200 calorie a day program (this is what was calculated for me) and I have been fine on it. I don't find myself hungry at the end of the day and there are days where I only hit 900. And yes, I weigh and measure everything!! I have logged in for 100 days straight as of today! This plan works great for both my husband (who is also down although he is at around 1600 calories a day) and I!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the net/gross thing when it comes to calories (although I do understand it when looking at my paycheck, lol)...

MFP gives you 1200 net (for example), which means 1200 after exercise calories, not 1200, no matter how much you exercise. If you run 10 miles and eat back 800 extra calories for 2000, that's 1200 net (and I think it's perfectly sensible to cut exercise calories some). If you run 10 miles and continue to eat 1200, that's way too low a net (400 or so), and not healthy.

From what you said it sounds like you are doing 1200 net.

Ugh math. :open_mouth: lol. So I start with 1200 for the day. Then I exercise and get 100 calories from that (because remember I'm taking only half of what MFP says I've burned). At the end of the day I've eaten 1300. Is that what you mean by "1200 net"? Yeah, I'm dumb when it comes to math. [insert eye roll at me]

So when the OP asked about eating only 1200 calories and I said I was, really I'm not if I eat exercise calories too? So I guess I take back my original answer. lol.

Yes, that's right, and yes, you are eating 1200 net (and 1300 gross or whatever, depending on the day). That's what I mean when I say I ate 1250 too. One problem is many who eat 1200 don't understand that's how MFP works and often exercise hard and don't eat back calories on top of it, which is quite different than 1200 net. So that's why I brought in that distinction.

True^^.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5, 54yrs and started this plan at the end of June. I am down 34 lbs and have been on a 1200 calorie a day program (this is what was calculated for me) and I have been fine on it. I don't find myself hungry at the end of the day and there are days where I only hit 900. And yes, I weigh and measure everything!! I have logged in for 100 days straight as of today! This plan works great for both my husband (who is also down although he is at around 1600 calories a day) and I!

And you also fit in the demographic who 1200 is probably fine for....like most everyone pointed out earlier. Not the 22 year old trying to lose the last 5 vanity lbs for swimsuit season.
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Yeah, most people over-estimate their calorie burns from exercise and under-estimate their calories from food.

If it is true then it definitely reflects on an individual's weight loss.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    anirud1 wrote: »
    Yeah, most people over-estimate their calorie burns from exercise and under-estimate their calories from food.

Well, sure. But if they're losing weight anyway, then it's really fine. If they're not, then generally they come on here with a long post about why did they plateau, please help.
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    anirud1 wrote: »

Well, sure. But if they're losing weight anyway, then it's really fine. If they're not, then generally they come on here with a long post about why did they plateau, please help.

haha. Yeah, true!