110 lbs lost, and I look terrible.

Options
I'm a 5' 3.5" female. I started in February of 2015 at 293 and weighed in this morning at 183. I still have about 50 lbs to my goal weight, but...110 lbs lost. Hurray for me, right? Wrong. I look really awful. I haven't shrunk so much as deflated. Not even that...it's like my fat used to be butter, and now it's whipped cream. Less mass, taking up the same amount of space. And really, really squishable. It's so discouraging. I know that the weight I've lost will have a profound impact on my health and quality of life. But, I'll admit that really, I did this because I wanted to look better, and I do not.
Anyone else? How do you keep the motivation once you see that success isn't quite so pretty as you'd hoped?

Replies

• Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The weight you've lost HAS had a profound impact on your life; you've lost a small human!! That's such an accomplishment!! What you should (in my non-professional opinion) do is consult with your doctor about reconstructive surgery to help you lose the excess skin you have. I'm not one to suggest plastic surgery, but there are many people who have their excess abdominal skin removed after losing a lot of weight.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Congrats on your loss. I'm sorry you feel this way, do you lift weights? If not you should add it to your routine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That is a great loss! Have you noticed any other health gains like mobility, agility, reducing blood pressure; anything like that?

Do co-workers and neighbours comment on your loss? I still get lots of compliments and often old friends don't recognize me. Some of your changes may be relatively invisible to you, but others notice.

My belly for a long time reminded me of a deflated balloon, just like it did right after giving birth. It has tightened up somewhat, but I still have lots of excess skin and fat.

I content myself with being a grandma with an extra squishy lap, keeping track of the Non-Scale Victories (NSV's) like the runs I prepare for, and wearing camouflaging clothing. The waistband has to be just right to avoid muffin top.
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing weight loss. Give yourself credit! Keep going with logging and try adding back some muscle by lifting weights, as Shanel0916 said above.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    The weight you've lost HAS had a profound impact on your life

Health is not just a look. Think about your cardiovascular system, immunity, chemical balances, blood sugars, and other systemic process that are improved because of what you have accomplished! Keep at it as what you do as part of your life and don't think health is just a goal or number you reach and you are done.

You got this!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Your success is amazing! Please heed the advice above and talk to a dr. about options for what you can do about your extra skin....don't wait and let it get to you longer, take control of the situation, you can do it, you've done so much already!! Much love, and praise for your huge success!! xo
  • JanineAytekin
    JanineAytekin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. I also lost 100+ lbs. Give yourself time to shrink. I truly know how you feel. My inner thighs are very hangy. My stomach hangs like an apron.

But i tell you, I was here once about 15 years ago. I was in my twenties and became discouraged and depressed after losing 135 lbs and seeing my skin. I relapsed and soon gained all the weight back. It took me 15 years of living in a size 26 and 300+ pounds until i had the true inspiration to finally get healthy. I've lost now since March 6, 2013, 115 lbs. I still have 60 lbs to go.

Now, in my mid 40s, I look at the inner thighs and tummy, and it's shrinking. Vitamin C lotion, yoga, weights all helps. But it takes out bodies time to
    to regenerate the elastin in our cells. It helps to be patient.

Congratulations on your astounding weight loss. You go girl all the way!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You're losing very quickly...3 or 4 pounds a week...which doesn't give your skin much of a chance to adapt. You should think about slowing down the rate of loss. I have been at a stable weight for several months now, and I have noticed that my skin is looking much better. Parts that were a little loose are looking much tighter. I think it just takes time.
  • ughbrit
    ughbrit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Losing a lot of weight rapidly contributes to loose skin. Building muscle in those areas can help but sometimes it's going to come down to surgery. Try losing the rest more slowly (1-2lbs per week) which is easier for your body to keep up with.
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Visceral fat is easier to lose than subcutaneous. That soft squishiness is subcutaneous. Visceral is deeper inside the body around your organs. Your body has burned through the visceral which is a good thing. As you continue on your journey the subcutaneous fat will burn off too. Don't let it discourage you. It's not loose skin unless it's paper thin. Until the subcutaneous fat burns off your skin has no reason to shrink, men need to get their body fat ratio down to 8-10% before considering plastic surgery and women need to get down to 15-17%.
  • hcs00
    hcs00 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am afraid of getting the belly apron or my arms not going down enough...but it takes a few years for skin to shrink up. Toning exercises will help, throw on some Spanx to smooth out your clothes. I know I will consult a plastic surgeon if need-be for a body lift on parts that get bad. Insurance will sometimes cover/help with the cost if the skin is rubbing, causing rashes or abrasions, etc.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    You're losing very quickly...3 or 4 pounds a week...which doesn't give your skin much of a chance to adapt. You should think about slowing down the rate of loss. I have been at a stable weight for several months now, and I have noticed that my skin is looking much better. Parts that were a little loose are looking much tighter. I think it just takes time.

this...you've lost weight quickly, hopefully your body will catch up with the changes and you'll feel better about the outcome

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Congrats that is a huge accomplishment. If you haven't already, you may incorporate lifting into your workout routine. Over time you will see a new body emerge with muscle definition. Good luck on your last 50. I started about where you are now and am about 10 away from goal- you can do this.