Half Marathon Training Question

Options
I've been training for my second half marathon that is on 10/25. Battled some ITBS issues earlier this year, I think they are behind me.

For my long runs I ran 11 miles 2 weeks ago, 6 this past weekend (planned low mileage week), and now my knee has been hurting. It's different than my ITBS pain, so I'm heading to the PT today to get checked out. The pain is in the outside of my knee, but much lower than the ITBS pain, and hurts when my leg is twisted a little bit when bending sometimes (not all the time).

My question - I'm supposed to do my last long training run this weekend (12 miles). Assuming the PT doesn't find anything major wrong, if I skip my 12 mile run should I do it next weekend instead (the week before my race) or should I just stick with my planned taper and do 7 miles?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need the 12 mile run truthfully. If it were me I'd convert it to an easy recovery run, and taper as planned. My rule of thumb is that if its a sharp pain I don't run on it at all, if its a dull pain I might ease up but I still run.
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you have already covered some distance which you did 11 miles I wouldn't worry, I would also suggest a recovery run to allow the pain outside the knee more healing time so you can smash your 1/2 if you're PT doesn't recommend otherwise.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm with the greenhumanclay. Obviously, we cannot advise you appropriately in this situation. But I'd heal, over one additional long run. (How much is that really going to give you?)
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'd stick with your taper. Better to rest and get any physical issues squared away than try to eek out one last long run. You know you can cover the distance at this point.
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Good news..nothing major. I was out of alignment and my shins were twisted too. He straightened me out and now the pain is 99% gone. I'm resting and icing today and will play it by ear. If it's bothering me at all Sunday, I'm going to take it easy. Thanks!
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    jtarmom wrote: »
    Good news..nothing major. I was out of alignment and my shins were twisted too. He straightened me out and now the pain is 99% gone. I'm resting and icing today and will play it by ear. If it's bothering me at all Sunday, I'm going to take it easy. Thanks!

So Awesome!!! how often do you get a quick easy fix like that?! #bestnewsever