I don't want a saggy belly.

dcerna62
dcerna62 Posts: 45 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 5'3" and my starting weight was 223. I'm down to 182. I'm losing about 2 pounds a week. My goal weight is about 130/135. I try to do some sort of exercise daily weather its the elliptical, strength training, the wii fit or just walking at the park. I'm nervous that once I get down to 130/135 my stomach will sag. Any suggestions? Am I losing weight too fast? Does that have anything to do with it or is it about doing enough strength training? I'm sorry but I've never been succesful with weight loss and I'm just curious since I've finally been able to stay on track & get results for this long.

Replies

• LadyoftheIron
    LadyoftheIron Posts: 16 Member
    I hope you don't get excited to see a reply, but I want to know the answer to this, too.

I'm quite worried about this myself, and if there's anything preventative I could do en route to getting to that point, that'd be great :)
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    bump
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Skin can take time to recover, if it recovers at all. Sometimes with women that have had kids it can stretch things to a point where they will just not snap back all the way. I would wait until at least a year after you reach your goal weight before talking to your doctor about surgical options to fix sagging skin though. It can sometimes take a year or two for skin to fully recover, if it can.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    All I've been told is make sure you're toning. If there's something else, I would LOVE to know.
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    I seen alot of ppl that were really big then they lose weight and they have beautiful skin and muscle tone and they go back to have a beautiful belly. Well that didn't happen to me I lost the weight but stayed with my horrible sagy extra skin so I desided to have tummy tuck and that was the best desition I had ever made love it!!!
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    From what I've heard, you have to lose slowly and make sure you are toning target areas.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    The best ways to help REDUCE the risk of saggy skin is to tone LONG before you can see the muscle definition, Keep yourself well hydrated, and keep your skin hydrated (with lotions or oils) Given the anti-cellulite,skin firming lotions are controversial I personally love Bio Oil for stretch marks, but the important thing is keeping your skin hydrated, because hydrated skin retains ealsticity and rebuilds elasticity quicker. You should maintain your weight for 1 year prior to considering tummy tuck/body tuck surgeries. 2 lbs a week isnt too fast, as you get closer to your goal you may slow down naturally or choose to slow down to help with your toning
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    I'm in the same boat ladies. I've had 3 kids and they took a toll on my belly. I know I'll need some kind of tummy tuck :grumble: if I lose all the weight I want/need to lose. I've been doing a lot of cardio on the elliptical and if the weather is nice I'll go for walks but haven't been doing much target training...maybe it's something I should look into. Good luck on your journey beautiful gals! :bigsmile:

Let's hope we are one of the lucky ones that will shrink wrap. :tongue:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    I'm really worried about this. But my doctor told me to stay hydrated, and to wait at least 1-2 years after I reach my goal weight before thinking about surgery. I've also heard that toning your ABS will help a lot because the muscle will lift the skin back up.

I figure I'll do what I can, and if it comes to that point, I'll figure out what to do then.
  • Don't lose the weight too quickly I'm not a nutritionist or a personal trainer, but I think that 2 pounds per week is a bit fast and once you are at your goal weight if you have extra skin then the only way to get rid of it is to gain weight and lose it more slowly, but it could still be there. (2 pounds is an okay start but you probably shouldn't lose that much every week...and for sure no more than 2 pounds. You should have weeks where you don't lose any weight and that's okay as long as you know you're being healthy)
    You most likely didn't gain weight quickly. Your body needs time to adapt and change. Most people don't wake up 40 pounds heavier--it's a series of small bad choices that led to being overweight. You should lose weight just how you gained it. Slowly and make small changes every day. Pilates is a GREAT workout to strengthen your core. I know from personal experience it has lifted my belly and taken away many inches all around that area :)
    I do have friends that are pissed that they lost weight too quickly and now have to deal with the saggy tummy even with intensive abs work outs. By doing it slowly you are more likely to make it a life change rather than just a diet. Being healthy is something you have to work out every day--even when you get to your goal weight you have to keep it up/do more work to keep it off. So don't do anything you don't want to always be doing. Be healthy and do work outs that you enjoy :) We have been conditioned to want fast results (with fast food and fast internet speed and all the fast diets..) but in this case slow and steady wins the race! GOOD LUCK!! And congrats on the progress you have already made!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,075 Member
    I have hard abs, low body fat, and have loose belly skin... it isn't a lot and lays flat, but you can grab it when I bend over... facts of life for me after 4 pregnancies of huge babies and carrying around almost 200 lbs non pregnant. It isn't anything worth risking my life under the knife for and I'd rather have this loose skin than be fat again.
This discussion has been closed.