Can someone help me understand caloric intake?

Options
I'm kinda new to this whole eating healthy and loosing weight the right way. With that being said in the last month and a half I've managed to loose 16 pounds cutting my sugar, portioning my meals and going to the gym 3 days a week. Recently I picked up a fitbit and started using protein shakes as my breakfast and lunch and really watching what I put into my body. Because I've got the fitbit app and it tells me how many calories I need and how many I've burned and it doesn't matter what I do I'm still way under budget bc I don't want to hinder the progress I've made already. I know that if I don't put enough calories into my system or enough water my body won't loose weight, but I can't stuff enough into my mouth to make up for the calories I need to loose the 61+ pounds i need to loose. Is it really true that if I don't cram enough crap in my body I can't loose weight? And if I do feed myself that much what do I use to make up for the calories if I'm not eating what everyone else eats? I'm so frustrated that I can't eat less and loose weight. I don't know what to do. I'm profoundly confused by all this health stuff and just need a little guidance if anyone can help. I would appreciate it.

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If you put too little you will still loose weight, but you will also loose muscle. (That includes organs like your heart) and it will affect your skin and nails, and your hair might even fall out.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    A healthy rate of loss is 1-2 lbs per week. Eating too little will NOT stop your weight loss, but it can be bad for your health and cause you to lose way more muscle than you want to.

Plug your stats into MFP and get your calorie goal. If you aren't already, use a food scale. Weigh and log your foods consistently, and eat your calories.

You didn't ask about this, but a "protein shake" is not a meal replacement, it's a supplement. You can eat real food and still lose your weight.

Be patient, take good care of yourself, and good luck!
  • Bamalover82
    Bamalover82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @Kimny72! My mistake!!! The protein shakes I've been using are a meal replacement shake. Sorry. :-/ I should have worded that different. In your opinion is there certain things I should be staying away from if I do eat normal meals to make my caloric intake? I mean I don't want to assume that if I eat it and put it into the MFP that it's good for me. Instead of doing the meal replacement shakes, do healthy choice meals and log. Am I right?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There is a huge grey area between eating too little and "cramming crap" in yourself. That's not going to be a very helpful outlook on all of this. You need to find the balance, both to help you lose weight and to help build those healthy habits you'll need once you reach your goals and transition to maintenance.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    In general, I don't find shakes as filling as solid food. If you want to use one to replace a meal every once and awhile, go for it! But I think replacing two meals a day is overkill - you might as well get used to eating now the way you want to eat for the rest of your life.

I find making sure I get enough protein and vegetables helps me, but that is personal preference. You have to play around with it and find what works for you. Personally, I think you set yourself up with a healthier mindset when you focus on what you will eat, rather than what you can't. So I pre-log all my protein and veggies and then fill in the rest with whatever I want as I go through the day. I eat ice cream, chocolate, pretzels, pizza on a regular basis - I just control my portion so that it fits my calories.

This is all just how I do it. The only rule is you need to eat less calories than you burn. The details are different for everyone. Just be patient and give yourself time to figure it out :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    @Kimny72! My mistake!!! The protein shakes I've been using are a meal replacement shake. Sorry. :-/ I should have worded that different. In your opinion is there certain things I should be staying away from if I do eat normal meals to make my caloric intake? I mean I don't want to assume that if I eat it and put it into the MFP that it's good for me. Instead of doing the meal replacement shakes, do healthy choice meals and log. Am I right?
    "Healthy" is confusing and not helpful because everyone seems to have their own individual definition.
    Focus on foods that are good for your goals. Foods with a good number of calories include foods with fats and oils.
    Some days I add a tablespoon of coconut oil to my protein shakes. Consider that you can have more nuts, eggs, hemp seeds, chia seeds, broccoli, and bananas to reach the number of calories.
    How many calories a day are you eating and how many calories a day does the Fitbit say you are eating? :grey_question::grey_question:
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Add a tablespoon of MCT Oil or macadamia nut oil to each shake.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Add a tablespoon of MCT Oil or macadamia nut oil to each shake.

Definitely not necessary and probably not advisable or tasty.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    In general, I don't find shakes as filling as solid food. If you want to use one to replace a meal every once and awhile, go for it! But I think replacing two meals a day is overkill - you might as well get used to eating now the way you want to eat for the rest of your life.

I find making sure I get enough protein and vegetables helps me, but that is personal preference. You have to play around with it and find what works for you. Personally, I think you set yourself up with a healthier mindset when you focus on what you will eat, rather than what you can't. So I pre-log all my protein and veggies and then fill in the rest with whatever I want as I go through the day. I eat ice cream, chocolate, pretzels, pizza on a regular basis - I just control my portion so that it fits my calories.

This is all just how I do it. The only rule is you need to eat less calories than you burn. The details are different for everyone. Just be patient and give yourself time to figure it out :)

I think this is great advice.

The Fitbit calorie goal can be confusing -- what I did was link Fitbit with MFP and then put myself in as sedentary at MFP and allow adjustments. The MFP calorie goal plus the Fitbit adjustments will be good ones, just make sure that you either log the exercise at Fitbit only or else at MFP only and make sure the times are correct. For step based stuff, Fitbit should pick it up without logging at all.

What are you getting as a calorie goal at MFP and for what loss goal? What is Fitbit saying you burn on average per day? That will help you understand how much you should be eating.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Short Version:
    Calculate TDEE (put in your age, height, sex, how many days a week you work out, etc). Eat 20% less for steady weight loss. Aim for 0.8g of protein per lb of LEAN body mass (you need your bodyfat to calculate that). Keep on working out to feel and look good. Weigh yourself once a week and understand that weight fluctuates, but there should be a downward trend.

• Bamalover82
    Bamalover82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 can you simplify what you just explained above? Like I said I don't understand much of anything and being new to these two systems I have no idea how to link them bc that would be so much easier. I am inputting two different things meals every time I eat bc MFP has almost everything I have put into it to search for but fitbit does not so I have to go back and add custom foods. It's a pain. @HamsterManV2 how would I calculate my lean body mass and eat exsactly 20% less than I would need to have a steady Weight-loss? I'm sorry I'm kinda dumb at the all this health stuff but I really want to succeed. Thank you for your help and suggestions.
  • BethAnnRichmond
    BethAnnRichmond Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you are correctly portioning your foods, perhaps you are not eating enough calorie dense foods. The highest nutrient dense foods are raw green leafy veggies, especially kale, collard greens and watercress. The lowest nutrient foods are refined grains, processed foods (especially refined sweets) and oils. By eating more veggies and fruits, you will be providing your body with a wider range of the nutrients it is wanting, making you feel more satisfied. Cooking veggies do reduce the number of nutrients but, depending on what veggie, it can be much better on your digestive track and allow you to eat more of them.

Also, I'd only do one shake a day. IMO.
  • AprilRj123
    AprilRj123 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    eat a lot of fruits and vegetables!!! they are a lot healthy for you than anything else.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm going to defend regular food. It's not crap. It nourishes you and gives you strength and energy.

I suggest learning to portion your main meal as recommended on Choose My Plate, filling half your plate with vegetables and always including protein, and you will be well on your way.

Maybe try something like this for ideas.

https://www.eatthismuch.com

With your two shakes a day, how are your macros shaking out?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You can sync Fitbit with MFP. Use the gearbox in both applications to set up the connection.

Use MFP to set up your stats and develop a daily calorie target. Also use MFP for calculating your calories taken in.

Make sure you are hitting your minimums.

If you are very active you will be credited with extra calories every day. Eat some of these back too.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    @lemurcat12 can you simplify what you just explained above? Like I said I don't understand much of anything and being new to these two systems I have no idea how to link them bc that would be so much easier. I am inputting two different things meals every time I eat bc MFP has almost everything I have put into it to search for but fitbit does not so I have to go back and add custom foods. It's a pain.

That sounds really annoying--I'd be going crazy too. You definitely don't have to do that.

First, if you haven't already, use MFP to set your calorie goal. When it asks activity level, say sedentary.

Second, on the home page, across the top, there's a selection called "APP." Go in there, find Fitbit, and click on it. You should find an option to click that says connect.

See if you can get that so it's connected. (I haven't used my Fitbit in a while, so I'm rusty at this--you may need to do something similar from the Fitbit side too. Maybe someone else will jump in to clarify.)

After you connect the two post here and I'll go through the rest.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Bamalover82 I would suggest some Extra Home work for you.
    Here are some really good posts by some very knowledgeable people that helped me..
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    and a Blog about Habits.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-power-of-habit-part-1-why-habits-matter-688130

The most important piece of information that can not be repeated enough.
    PATIENCE PATIENCE and PATIENCE
    We didn't gain our extra weight in a month so why do so many people expect to lose it in a month.
    1 lb at a time, 1 week at a time.
  • kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try reading "The Calorie Myth: How to Eat More & Exercise Less" by Jonathan Bailor.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Try reading "The Calorie Myth: How to Eat More & Exercise Less" by Jonathan Bailor.

description: 'Contrary to what most diets would have you believe, the human body does not recognize all calories as equal. Some foods are used to boost brain power, fuel metabolism, and heal the body—while others are simply stored as fat. In The Calorie Myth, Bailor shows us how eating more of the right kinds of foods and exercising less, but at a higher intensity, is the true formula for burning fat.

Why? Because eating high-quality foods balances the hormones that regulate our metabolism. When we eat these foods, our bodies naturally maintain a healthy weight. But when we eat sugar, starches, processed fats, and other poor-quality foods, the body's regulatory system becomes "clogged" and prevents us from burning extra calories. Translation: Those extra 10 pounds aren't the result of eating too much . . . they're the result of eating the wrong foods!'

Which calories simply store as fat?!? Maybe it is the calories I eat above my daily needs? So if I eat broccoli last for the day maybe I ought to stop eating broccoli(sarcasm) Seems this book would do a great job reducing the size of my wallet while providing little actual information to help people.
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2015
    Options

No, don't waste your time reading fad diet type books meant to make money from the desparate and those prone to wishful thinking. A sensible, sustainable calorie deficit (built through cutting calories and, ideally, activity) is all you need.