Cookie Diet?

Options
Hello :)

My fabulous husband put myfitnesspal app on his iphone and we've been on it since (4 days now). its nice to have someone to encourage me!

so i'm on the cookie diet again. the first time was for my wedding last summer and i successfully lost 12 lbs in 5 weeks (yaaaaaaaay!). then gained most of it back :( i'm a healthy eater, go to the gym about 3 times a week....but i guess i have a low metabolism!

anyone else have tried the "smart for life" cookie diet? i find myself super weak to do anything when i'm JUST on the cookies/cupcakes/shakes. any suggestions??

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I was looking at this at Costco on the weekend. And i am not interested in eating dull cereal twice a day and a small dinner. I eat lots of food and am losing weight stick to a healthy lifestyle instead of fades. btw you can easily make them in your kitchen it is just a serving of cereal stuck together.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Or you could perhaps just try eating reasonably rather than doing some short term diet that you can't possibly stay on for the rest of your life... Try real food, lots of veggies, occasional treats - it really works! :drinker:

Check this thread out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/233474-the-latest-diet
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Ummm, I have a suggestion - eat healthy real food, watch your portions and exercise.
    A diet of cookies that leaves you weak sounds like a TERRIBLE idea to me. Especially as you have already proved that it only gave you short term weight loss with no lasting results.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yeah, nothing about that sounds like a good idea.

Mostly though, you already know it doesn't work. All you are doing is depriving your body for a short term fix. Once off the "diet" you will gain it all back again because you have done nothing to learn how to feed your body healthy and sustainable foods.
  • bushrakhan24
    Options
    wow! so many positive responses...thank you :) i agree with you all, the cookie diet is a quick fix that won't last long (which was ok for the wedding because i wanted to look fabulous in my dress), i guess i bought into it again because i'll be seeing my husband's family soon (and as we all know, everyone likes to judge the new kid on the block). but you are ALL ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! lots of exercise, water, and real food - that's the way to do it.

so any tips how you all lost weight? i see some of you have lost anywhere btwn 9 to almost 30lbs...that incredible!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    wow! so many positive responses...thank you :) i agree with you all, the cookie diet is a quick fix that won't last long (which was ok for the wedding because i wanted to look fabulous in my dress), i guess i bought into it again because i'll be seeing my husband's family soon (and as we all know, everyone likes to judge the new kid on the block). but you are ALL ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! lots of exercise, water, and real food - that's the way to do it.

so any tips how you all lost weight? i see some of you have lost anywhere btwn 9 to almost 30lbs...that incredible!!

I've actually lost just over 50 - I reset my ticker so it shows less than that right now. Check out the link I posted above - it pretty much sums up what I've done, and is a great thread. A healthy balanced diet (nothing crazy/extreme), regular exercise, drinking lots of water, and sticking with it.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Don't have my ticker in my sig, but I'm approaching sixty pounds lost. My exercise/food diary is visible to friends if you wand to have a look, just send an ad request.

Also feel free to ask any questions you may have. Nonkid gloves here, but will always tell you the truth.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    The cookie diet is a really expensive way to starve yourself and seriously screw up your metabolism. Nobody can live on cookies alone and if you're anything like me, you will get sick of them and eventually want real food!

Try to just eat healthy, low sodium, low sugar foods (and no, that doesn't mean carrot sticks all day and night!). I'd love to help you if you need it, it always makes me upset to learn about people following fad diets, because they never work on the long term
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    so i'm on the cookie diet again. the first time was for my wedding last summer and i successfully lost 12 lbs in 5 weeks (yaaaaaaaay!). then gained most of it back :( i'm a healthy eater, go to the gym about 3 times a week....but i guess i have a low metabolism!

that says it all

I used to do this with Slim Fast and realized it was the exact definition of insanity....you know doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results?

I don't think the cookie diet is going to be the "magic bullet" slow metabolism or not I just think you should eat healthy 50% of your plate leafy green things 25% of your plate a protein thing and 25% of your plate a different veg or small treat....that's where you can have your cookie!

I remember this one episode of Golden Girls where Blanche went on Slim Fast again to get into her wedding dress and then almost killed someone she was so grumpy and hungry and inthe end her wedding dress was all busted open in the back.

I think maybe the 1st time is the charm with some of those fads which is why they work and the diet industry is muli billion dollars from our money but when we try what worked for us in the past, they often don't work again.

you can do it, just eat normally
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Diabetes has done wonders for me--no, I'm not any meds making me magically lose weight. But the reality of being diabetic has kicked in an awareness of what I eat and what I do that is really working for me. I keep my carbs to under 50 per meal (though I went to 70 last night because most of my carbs were fiber), keep my calories under 1500 a day, and make sure my dinner plate is at least half veggies. Most dinners, I have two or three diffferent kinds of veggies, plus a salad with my light bleu cheese. There's no food group I'm denying myself, but I'm making sure that most of what I get is lower carb (for the blood sugar) and lower fat. But I had a pretty baked potato just last night, with a nice skiff of butter, and that was nice, too.

It's doable, and if you look to long-term and lifestyle changes, you'll have better luck keeping it off. Good luck and welcome!

Kris
  • bushrakhan24
    Options
    i'm a big time snacker. like ALL the time. not unhealthy stuff (ok...maybe sometimes lol). but i'm always munching on carrots, granola bars, celery and hummus, always carry around a water bottle, etc. and i get quite a bit of excercise in my day. i actually went to the movies tonight (xmen the prequel....GREAT MOVIE) and i didn't get any buttery popcorn, no ice cream, no pop, no candy....but just a bottle of water from home :D

but i PROMISE MFP famliy....no more cookie dieting! i will, however, eat the the cookies/cupcakes in replacement of granola bars during boring lectures :) but real meals throughout the day...i PROMISE. i'm showing these posts to my husband, and both him and i are overwhelmed with the cyber-support out there. THANK YOU :)