What is the difference of weight you have at the morning and at night?

Options
So I was 70.5 kg in the morning, but at the same day at night I weighted 72.2 kg, which demotivated me so much. The next morning I was 71.8 kg. This is riddiculus! I wonder if there is a problem with my scale. I know I shouldn't be weighting myself so often, but I try to see my progress in tiny bits of weight loss.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    What's ridiculous about that? Sounds right to me.
  • thatguy009
    thatguy009 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's pretty crazy but I've found my weight can fluctuate about that much too (5 lbs or 2.25kg) between night and morning.
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    WingardiumLeviosa91 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What's ridiculous about that? Sounds right to me.

I can't be gaining more than 1 kg a day... :/
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Fluid, fluid retention, food intake..

Best to weigh is of a morning, after your first pee but before you have anything to eat and drink.
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    Options
    thatguy009 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty crazy but I've found my weight can fluctuate about that much too (5 lbs or 2.25kg) between night and morning.

Oh okay, so that's normal?
  • thatguy009
    thatguy009 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday too at the same time in the morning, you just can't let yourself fixate on the day-to-day and watch the 7-day and 30-day trend line.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    thatguy009 wrote: »

Oh okay, so that's normal?

Yes it's normal. It's how bodies work.

There happens to be another thread on this going at the moment: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10266235/stuck-on-same-number
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Usually 1.5-2.0 kg difference from evening to morning.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    it makes sense that you would weigh more at night as all the foods you've eaten during the day will still be being digested....I wouldn't dream of weighing myself at night. Stick to first thing in the morning is my recommendation :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So I was 70.5 kg in the morning, but at the same day at night I weighted 72.2 kg, which demotivated me so much. The next morning I was 71.8 kg. This is riddiculus! I wonder if there is a problem with my scale. I know I shouldn't be weighting myself so often, but I try to see my progress in tiny bits of weight loss.

No you shouldn't be weighing yourself so often

No you can't see progress over a day or even day to day and sometimes not even week to week because of NATURAL fluctuations

With the greatest of respect (meaning of course none at all) this is absolutely nutty ... so stop doing it

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    somewhere in my posts over the last day I have posted my maintenance chart over the last 3 months - you should look at that

it is normal

I am doing everything right

my weight swings by up to 5lbs day to day, week to week .. but my trendline (eg average line) is flat

that's normality

scale weight is a moving feast - you have a weight range not a weight - it's probably around 5lb - maybe slightly less or more
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's rarely less that 3lb, and can be up to 5 or 6lb, especially if I'm retaining water, due to a high sodium meal, or the hormonal effects. I don't weigh myself all that often both morning and night. For me, the only weight that counts is the morning weight in - naked, after going to the bathroom and just before I step in the shower. Any weigh in I do in the afternoon or evening will tend to be clothed, after eating/drinking. Try weighing yourself, drinking 500ml of water, and looking at exactly 500g of weight added - I'm sure your scales aren't broken! We weigh differently from morning through night simply because we are eating during the day, and that reflects on the scales.

The only time I weigh in the afternoon/evening is when I'm going to my weight loss group on a Monday. I am consistently 3-5lb above my 'base' morning weight, but the scales show the exact same trending of dropping weight over time. It's sort of annoying when the group leader tells me my current weight, and I want to say 'but I'm 4lb lighter than that REALLY!' But it doesn't worry me, because I'm tracking only my morning weigh-ins on MFP. My advice, just don't weigh yourself any time other than in the morning. It'll keep you sane!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    it makes sense that you would weigh more at night as all the foods you've eaten during the day will still be being digested....I wouldn't dream of weighing myself at night. Stick to first thing in the morning is my recommendation :smile:

Agree totally with this^^.
    Weighing first thing in the morning (after going to the toilet) and before eating or drinking anything will be your true weight.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ignore
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    somewhere in my posts over the last day I have posted my maintenance chart over the last 3 months - you should look at that

it is normal

I am doing everything right

my weight swings by up to 5lbs day to day, week to week .. but my trendline (eg average line) is flat

that's normality

scale weight is a moving feast - you have a weight range not a weight - it's probably around 5lb - maybe slightly less or more

I understand, thank you for your comment :) the words "weight range" explains it :)
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    Options
    It's rarely less that 3lb, and can be up to 5 or 6lb, especially if I'm retaining water, due to a high sodium meal, or the hormonal effects. I don't weigh myself all that often both morning and night. For me, the only weight that counts is the morning weight in - naked, after going to the bathroom and just before I step in the shower. Any weigh in I do in the afternoon or evening will tend to be clothed, after eating/drinking. Try weighing yourself, drinking 500ml of water, and looking at exactly 500g of weight added - I'm sure your scales aren't broken! We weigh differently from morning through night simply because we are eating during the day, and that reflects on the scales.

The only time I weigh in the afternoon/evening is when I'm going to my weight loss group on a Monday. I am consistently 3-5lb above my 'base' morning weight, but the scales show the exact same trending of dropping weight over time. It's sort of annoying when the group leader tells me my current weight, and I want to say 'but I'm 4lb lighter than that REALLY!' But it doesn't worry me, because I'm tracking only my morning weigh-ins on MFP. My advice, just don't weigh yourself any time other than in the morning. It'll keep you sane!

Hoe do we prevent retaining water?
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    Options
    Thank you everybody. I love this community, you are all so helpful. Loves <3
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    We retain water for various reasons ;- too much sodium....extra carbs...a new workout which causes the muscles to hold onto extra water as they repair... its not something to worry about as its perfectly natural and just a matter of getting to know your body and when you most likely are holding onto extra water.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    What is the difference of weight you have at the morning and at night?

No idea ... I only weigh myself in the morning.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    Try this ... get up in the morning, use the toilet, then weigh yourself naked.

Now go and drink 500 ml of water (approx. 2 cups).

Now go weigh yourself again, still naked.

Did you gain weight? Probably. Probably half a kilogram. I've done exactly that, and have gained half a kilogram. That's all it takes to gain weight.

If you weigh more at the end of the day, chances are you haven't processed everything you've drunk yet. Could be as simple as that.