How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I feel like if I leave it too long I lose motivation, but then when I don't see results I also lose motivation. How often do you think you should weigh in?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you. I find every day works best, that way I can see a loss as soon as it happens, and not just have to hope that I'm weighing in on a day when I'm at a new low (since losses are so easily covered by fluctuations when you're aiming for half a pound a week).
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Doing a weekly or fortnightly weigh in normally works best for most people, as you are able to see the actual weight loos compared to water weight and bloating if you were to weigh yourself every few days
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    omg, definitely every day!!! whilst I know its perhaps silly, it keeps me going,makes me aware what causes fluctuation, water retention etc. EG I know that morning after gym session I am up approx 1.5lb and I'm fine with that...
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    KT_3009 wrote: »
    Doing a weekly or fortnightly weigh in normally works best for most people, as you are able to see the actual weight loos compared to water weight and bloating if you were to weigh yourself every few days

I've never quite understood this reasoning. How does weighing less often show you the 'actual weight loss'? It doesn't suddenly stop you fluctuating. If you fluctuate one day and are 5lbs higher than the day before and the day after and that happens to be the day you weigh in, that's not your actual weight loss. And because you haven't weighed everyday you won't even know it's a fluctuation. The scale doesn't somehow average out your last few days or something.

I can understand if people don't like weighing daily because they want to be more likely to see a loss when they weigh, but weighing weekly doesn't mean you won't see the fluctuations, it just means you won't know it's a fluctuation when you do see one.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    i weigh daily but the fluctuations are confusing.how do i know whats my "real" weight.ive just started plotting weigh ins on a graph
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    aniqa109 wrote: »
    i weigh daily but the fluctuations are confusing.how do i know whats my "real" weight.ive just started plotting weigh ins on a graph

I weigh everyday- its motivating. If its fluctuating downwards I think yay! I'll keep that up today. If it's fluctuating upwards then i think- okay, I'll make better choices today, maybe not have the extra cookie.

As for 'real' weight-I'm not sure that exists. Weight depends on all sorts of factors- time of day, water retention, hormonal fluctations ad weight of food in digestive tract. Weight is just one factor- LBM and fat % is another, measurements are another etc. I have a target weight - when do i say I've hit it: first thing in the morning? That evening I'll likely be 2lbs heavier (usually for me) or the next day I might be 0.5 lbs heavier due to other fcators - but not body fat gain. Thats just how it is- no certainties, no exacts- just basic trends.

I weigh at the same time each day in the same clothes - and helps with data comparrisson.

I know that's not very helpful, sorry. I think it's just one of those things that you have to accept.
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like weighing every day as well. Same time and same lack of clothing. It really helps to see those minute trends so I can make appropriate adjustments. The impact of sodium is the biggest that I can see on a daily basis. I travel a lot and take my digital scale akin where ever I go. It is comforting for me and not stressful.
  • MarietjieHoward
    MarietjieHoward Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday, and record the fluctuations as well, you will notice a pattern developing, and I can more or less predict what day I will loose (of course never how much).
    I prefer to know the fluctuations rather than stress the whole week if I have lost or gained, I find that to be discouraging.
    I have been standing still during the week and then loose on a weekend, Saturday and Sunday, even as much as a pound.... this has happened for the last 3 weeks.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    @Whitezombiegirl thankyou that does mke sense...i get disheartened seeing it go up..but this is my first month using fitbit and trying to eat within calorie goal..i think as time goes on i will be able to understand fluctuations better.but i got confused as the day before my TOM i went up by 2kg and then 2 days after my TOm i was down 1kg and today im down 1kg frm my lowest weight before TOm n then im just confused ..is it water weight?do i log it?lol ...but i dont want to.give up!!
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself when I feel like it.

I think I know when my weight has gone up or down, can feel it, so usually weight then to confirm.

Last weighed myself about a month ago, it was had gone up as I suspected, which gave me a kick in the can to be more dilligent with my exercise and diet.

Ill weigh again soon to see how thats going.

The whole weight loss/maintenance/health journey is a long game, so I find it easier not to create pressure on a daily/weekly basis around it.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing every morning. This is how I learned what really worked for me to lose. I would eat over my goal, and boom....either not lose or even go up a bit. I would eat my goal, and boom, I would lose a few ounces.

It's excellent feedback.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd personally suggest weekly :]

If you DO choose to weigh daily, expect to see fluctuations!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I check each morning, knowing there will be fluctuations.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I weigh 2-3 times a week, always first thing in the morning. I think the important thing is not to be ruled by the scale. It's just a number to guide you, and help track a trend. You need to keep an eye on what's happening but not obsess about it.
  • kdblpn
    kdblpn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I weigh one time a month. The fluctuations mess with my head and although i may be experiencing a fluctuation on the day i weigh i have always been at a loss and that keeps me motivated. I have a total of 242 pounds to lose, i need all the motivation i can get.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    As you can see from all the posts, it's a personal decision for different reasons. I weigh daily, first thing in the morning - unless I forget.

I understand there are going to be fluctuations. I actually prefer to see those fluctuations. So long as the trend is downward, I don't care about them at all. I think it helps to understand that's how the body works. I see so many posts about how someone ate over goal during the weekend and "gained" [x] pounds. It's not fat gain. You'd have to completely eliminate your weekly deficit AND eat well over maintenance in order to "gain." On Saturdays, I eat 3,000 calories. That's part of how I do this whole thing. So, the scale usually goes up 2-3 pounds for a few days. Then back down. Whatever. So long as the trend is downwards, that's what I care about.

Here are my recent weigh-ins, from trendweight:

Fri, Oct 9 175.0 177.4
    Thu, Oct 8 175.0 177.6
    Wed, Oct 7 177.0 177.9
    Tue, Oct 6 179.5 178.0
    Mon, Oct 5 179.5 177.9
    Sun, Oct 4 178.0 177.7
    Sat, Oct 3 176.5 177.7
    Fri, Oct 2 175.0 177.8
    Thu, Oct 1 175.0 178.1
    Wed, Sep 30 175.0 178.4
    Tue, Sep 29 177.0 178.8
    Mon, Sep 28 178.5 179.0
    Sun, Sep 27 178.5 179.1
    Sat, Sep 26 176.5 179.1
    Fri, Sep 25 178.0 179.4

On the left are my scale weights, on the right the trend. The graph that trendweight generates shows a trend downwards. If the TREND started to increase over time, then I'd know I need to change what I'm doing.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Every morning and every evening. I only log the morning weights
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow loser, have about 20 pounds to lose, and my weight fluctuates. It wa very discouraging to see the number on the scale down one day, up the next.

I found the iOS app Happy Scale and it is amazing. Weigh daily, enter into the app, and it calculates average weight lost. Smooths out the fluctuations. Highly recommended.
  • afranklin85
    afranklin85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning just after I wake up and wearing the same clothes (boxers). As others have stated weight does fluctuate but this does help you understand how your body responds to certain factors. For me if I have too much salt the day before or go running my weight can be higher the next day. I know on Tuesdays I always weight a little more due to eating fajitas on mondays that comes with a sodium packed seasoning packet!
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Every morning for me.