Does being told you are thin ever get old?

Options
1235»

Replies

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I never get tired of it. I also never get tired of the look I get when I say "thanks, I used to weigh 100lbs more". The only thing that gets a little tiresome is when they ask me how I did it and I say I cut calories and exercised, and then they look at me like I killed their dog cause I have no magic pill
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and 144 right now (Same as you) and I dropped a piece of clothing in the bathroom at a bbq when I changed into my bathing suit. the host brought it back to my hubby saying that it MUST be mine because I was the smallest person there. My jaw dropped a bit. I thought back. Yes, I guess I was. Hmmm... Part of me was happy, the martial artist weight lifter part of me wanted to stomp my foot and say "I'm NOT SMALL".
  • shetripsalot
    shetripsalot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I loved it when, for the first time in my life (after a 70lb loss), I was called Skinny. I always thought the skinnier, the better. Until I see pictures of myself during that time. I stopped dieting, made some lifestyle changes & started lifting weights. Now, I LOVE it when I'm called Athletic & Fit!
  • Eninad
    Eninad Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    Where I'm irritated is while I've lost a lot of weight, I'm still on the higher side of obese (near morbidly) at a BMI of 38ish. Co-workers that say "hey skinny" when passing in the hall make my blood boil. I know they're trying to be supportive, but I'm far from skinny yet. Sorry, rant over.

I'm very much with you on this. I've lost 50 pounds, but I am still morbid. I have over 70 to still lose, my clothes really aren't different or new. I am very sick of "Hey skinny!" or "Look at you just melting away!".... I'm not skinny, it's not melting off at any sort of rapid pace, barely one pound a week or so. I have a TON to go. I'd rather hear the support but without the over enthusiastic tone or extra adjectives. These are the same people who keep bringing in doughnuts and checking to see if I have any. Then they bring me one directly on a napkin if I don't seem to be helping myself. I don't even LIKE doughnuts.

Anyway, I need to tune it out.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I actually hate when people comment on my body. I didn't ask or want their opinions and I find it irritating. If people comment on my body I politely ask if they are giving me permission to say whatever I want about their body now. Usually stops them in their tracks. Only exception is I'm a nurse and my patients often will often comment on my weight and professionally I just shrug it off. Many of my confused patients that can't remember my name will ask for "the skinny one" when they need me lol.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Eninad wrote: »
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    Where I'm irritated is while I've lost a lot of weight, I'm still on the higher side of obese (near morbidly) at a BMI of 38ish. Co-workers that say "hey skinny" when passing in the hall make my blood boil. I know they're trying to be supportive, but I'm far from skinny yet. Sorry, rant over.

I'm very much with you on this. I've lost 50 pounds, but I am still morbid. I have over 70 to still lose, my clothes really aren't different or new. I am very sick of "Hey skinny!" or "Look at you just melting away!".... I'm not skinny, it's not melting off at any sort of rapid pace, barely one pound a week or so. I have a TON to go. I'd rather hear the support but without the over enthusiastic tone or extra adjectives. These are the same people who keep bringing in doughnuts and checking to see if I have any. Then they bring me one directly on a napkin if I don't seem to be helping myself. I don't even LIKE doughnuts.

Anyway, I need to tune it out.

The "melting away" comment is so grating because it brushes off all of your hard work! One of the more fascinating parts of this process has been noticing how truly bad most people are at paying a compliment, or what strange things they say that they think are complimentary. I think a lot of it is a defense mechanism. It stems from the same place as the questions about "how you did it," followed by looks of irritation and disbelief when you say you moved more and ate less.
  • rebeccawwalters
    rebeccawwalters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Never! I love it, especially after eating a male co-worker under the table
  • serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm quite uncomfortable with the attention. Please don't look closely at me! Because I'm sure that judging comes next. :/
    I know that with the people in my family and in my close circle, it's meant to encourage, to build me up. But I still cringe and try desperately to change the subject. "You know I'm awkward, what do you think about the upcoming hockey season? "
  • jhonen32629
    jhonen32629 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It happens a lot to me, and I love it. I used to be 225 pounds and now I'm 150 pounds. A co-worker called me skinny a couple weeks back and I really enjoyed it. One customer was talking about a particularly good burger joint in the area and she told me that I don't look like I eat meat. That one was good lol.
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind being called svelte (hasn't happened), but I do get called thin. I'm more appreciative when people notice I am active and fit rather then thin, since thin feels more like a fashion description than wellness. Some people are very kind and feel out whether I have lost weight due to illness before complimenting my weight loss.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    No, always makes my day too. It's pretty awesome