Advice: having surgery and not being able to exercise...

Options
On the 14th I have to have a hysterectomy. I won't be able to exercise for at least 4 weeks..maybe 6. Any advice on what I can/should do so I don't gain weight and get back to my old habits? I've only been doing MFP for 2 weeks (will be 3 by surgery time.) Should I just stick to staying under my calories as much as possible and not worry about the exercise until I am recovered enough to do it?

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    just try and stick to the calorie figures,not go over but if you do not to worry too much!,your body needs time to heal and the sooner it does the sooner you can get back to exersiceing with the best of us!
    good luck!
  • Achlys101
    Achlys101 Posts: 44
    Options
    I haven't had surgery but my advice is to stick with the site and track your food that way you will feel responsible if you over eat or eat bad foods. That way you can at least maintain your weight loss or still lose. Also some advice about not getting into old habits is don't take the easy way out with your food. Even tho you can't exercise you still need to be on your diet or all the work you have done will be pointless.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    *hugs* sweetie, and good luck with the surgery.

Look at this as a time when you can practice nurturing yourself and being kind to yourself without resorting to self-medicating with food. Make sure you don't get too hungry and use food to heal and nourish.

GG
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation where I had to have surgery in January, but I was only down for two weeks. Just take it easy and try to stay within your calorie limit. Don't restrict yourself too much though, you need those nutrients to heal well. Although I wasn't very active, I still managed to lose weight. All I can say is to start exercising as soon as you are able, but be sure to take it nice and slow and don't push yourself too hard. Also, if you are able after a couple of weeks, try and do some yoga poses. They'll help keep your strength up and even ease some pain and stress!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Should I just stick to staying under my calories as much as possible and not worry about the exercise until I am recovered enough to do it?

^^^This. :heart:
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    MFP all ready gives you a calorie deficit for weightloss, that doesn't include doing any excersise! Basically the site is set up so that you will lose weight without excersising! So just eat your allotted daily calories and it should be smooth sailing!! Just focus on recovering from your surgery!!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I suggest you calculate your BMR (under tools) and don't eat over that. While eating healthy food,I think perhaps healing should be your priority over weight loss after you operation. I pray the operation and recovery goes well for you :-) Dunkirk
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Awwwww good luck with the surgery hun and hope you have a speedy recovery. My sister had this operation last March and it takes a while to get back to exercise so best thing to do is monitor your calories as loosing weight is 80% food and only 20% exercise. At least that way you will still feel in control plus you can still use pc and have all us to give you lots of support after your op. Big hugs :flowerforyou:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I had the same surgery 4 years ago - and after the first week I started to walk - slow and steady, but because I could not drive I took the bus and walked everywhere - just make sure you listen to your body - but I actually think it helped me with the healing process....

And yes - just keep tracking your calories.....In the end of the day it is pretty massive surgery, so don't put yourself or your body under too much stress if you have little lapses - you will be back into it soon enough once you heal.

Good luck in any case :-) and I do suggest you have a chat with your doctor re your options as well...
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i would just keep to your calorie goal. Dont go over and dont go too much under because your body will be working extra hard to heal.
    Rest as much as you can, drink lots of fluids, make sure you get your fruit and vegetables and make sure you get plenty of protein for healing.
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had surgery in March and couldn't exercise for 6 weeks. I watched what I ate (this was before I started MFP) and walked. My main restrictions from my Dr. was to not elevate my heart rate due to increased risk of blood clots, but walking was ok as long as I wasn't in pain.

Good luck with your surgery!
  • AmesLee78
    AmesLee78 Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've had 3 c-sections (as you can tell my body has never worked right) so I know what to expect as far as how I'll feel after. The surgery will be almost like a c-section except I won't have a gorgeous little newborn to show for it..LOL..With my last baby (8 years ago) I was up and walking 2 hours after she was born. I expect to be able to walk, slowly, but knew I wouldn't be exercising for a while.

I appreciate all the advice and well wishes! You guys are awesome! :heart:
  • LukeEalden
    LukeEalden Posts: 38
    Options
    It's a great time to spend it perfecting your neweating habits. Try out some new recipes, picking up on what you've learnt on here.

If you follow your calories strictly, and eat the right foods, you can still lose whilst you can't exercise. Then just think how you can do when you're back to health?!

Good luck my man.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    good luck on the surgery, But consult with your Doctor and tell him what you are trying to do and your goals.

Listen to their advice.

Best of luck
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    diet is the most important thing for weightloss anyway. Exercising just allows you to eat a bit more, but it doesnt make you lose weight in itself
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Track your food, but don't go with too big a calorie deficit. You might be better eating at maintenance or just under and accepting that you can only deal with one issue at a time!
    Remember that your body will be under stress from the surgery and you need a good balanced diet to be as healthy as you can and to promote healing.
    Good luck.