How long did it take to get to your goal weight?

Options
I am 40 lbs overweight and I want to lose it all in 1 year. Is that doable? I know it didn't take me a year to put on (more like 5), but I wasn't necessarily trying to gain weight either lol. I am trying to set realistic goals.

Replies

• ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started weight loss journey on 2/13/15. After 8 months I have lost 54 pounds. SW:213; CW:159; GW:135
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    That's definitely realistic. A good goal is a pound a week, if you've got a lot to lose you can healthily lose up to 2lbs/week.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Ok, thank you! I appreciate the replies. :)
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started on 2/2/14. After 20 months I have lost 185 pounds. SW:348; CW:163; GW:160
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am currently 175 and my GW is 135. That's the weight I was the healthiest at.
  • omnipotentmiku
    omnipotentmiku Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That's incredibly realistic. It took me four months to lose about that much.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds in a year. SW 155, CW 105.

So yes, I'd say it's realistic. But I'd also say it doesn't matter. There's no end date or endgame. It's a lifestyle change.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I lost 120 pounds in my first year (then another 10 in the next three months). You can definitely lose 40 pounds in a year. Good luck!
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Very doable. Just stick to a plan. :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    40 pounds in a year is very reasonable if you don't have any medical conditions to get in your way. To answer the topic question: 53 weeks to lose 63 pounds. Keeping it off has been a challenge. Good luck!
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have set more than one goal, so it depends. The most important goal for me? Getting to a healthy BMI number. I think I'll be there by the end of this coming week. I changed my weight goal to 5 lbs lower, so that's yet to come. But it will.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 14lbs in a month. The next two took the rest of the year. But they stayed off and more to the point, I changed my life in that year! I'm now trying to get down a little more after allowing myself to live at that weight, I expect it to take about a year to loose another 8 lbs!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The important thing to remember is that weight loss isn't linear. Your goal is very realistic as long as you are consistent in working towards it and don't expect to lose at a consistent rate. Plan on the first 20 lbs flying of at a rate of 1 or more pounds a week on average and the last 10 coming off at .5 lbs or less a week on average.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I started on January 7, 2013 at 214.8 lb. It was October 14 when my weight loss reached 40 lb., and on the first anniversary of joining MFP, my weight was 167.8, so I lost 47 lb. in a year. After the first few weeks, I didn't feel too hungry. I lost at about 1.1 lb. per week for the first 6 months, and reduced my deficit after that to lose around 0.75 lb. per week. I tapered even more in 2014, for a total loss of about 65 lb. by the middle of December 2014, when I transitioned to maintenance.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    40 pounds in a year is less than a pound a week. This is VERY doable!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Absolutely doable.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    Options
    I lost 46lbs in 9 months. Totally doable.

Good luck!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    I hit my first goal ... 15 kg lost ... in almost exactly 4 months.

I'm 8 months in, and still going toward my second. It's a little slower now, but that's OK. I'm also not exactly sure where I'll stop. Nevertheless I have lost an additional 8 kg. I'm down 23 kg in total.

So yes ... 40 lbs within a year is definitely doable.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It took me nearly a year to lose half of my goal weight (30 pounds) and hopefully I will reach the rest in another year. I keep fluctuating as I go on and off of my diet/exercise program (not good!).
  • terrabit
    terrabit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is unfortunately my 2nd time on this trip. First time I lost 100lbs in 1 year. Had kids and gained it all back in 2 years.

This time I'm at 30lb in 5 months, so I should be on target weight in march/April if I can keep the same rate. (keeping the same rate will mean ramping up exercise near the end.

For the record I'm lifting 3x / week and a couple 5k runs.