I'm not complaining, but this is one of those things

Options
2»

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    People seem to under estimate how active they are on holidays.

Like your active but your having fun so you don't count it as working out, not like running on a treadmill staring at person on the treadmill in front of you at the gym.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Must have been eating at maintenance.
  • Yogamat316
    Yogamat316 Posts: 19 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    That happened to me after a recent vacation! I did log and I realized on the days I thought I was REALLY pigging out, I was barely eating above maintenance, if that. It might've *felt* more sinful because I was eating total junk food, but I was still watching my portions because to be honest it just doesn't feel good, anymore, to be "stuffed." After five days, including two rounds of hamburgers and milkshakes at Steak N Shake, I weighed the exact same as before I went on vacation. I went for a run the night we got home to atone and kept my eyes down the following week in case the Calorie Fairy realized she'd made a mistake...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot. I pretty much always lose weight when I travel, 'cause instead of sitting at a desk all day, I'm active and walking and sightseeing and carrying a heavy backpack and doing all sorts of things.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well, this is just a guess, but you say you dropped 5 pds before you left. Could that of been mostly water weight from having less salt, carbs, etc, and then you just put that water weight back on during the vacation, and then maybe after that, you just ate at maintenance and didn't realize it, cause you were having such a good time, and wasn't really worrying about calorie intake or anything.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I had similar occurrence--worked out a lot before I knew I was about to hit a period where eating at a deficit would be hard and exercise wasn't going to happen. During my hard work phase, I didn't loose much. During the period in which I wasn't on track, I continued to lose. I notice I was pretty sore from my hard work and assumed that I wasn't losing during that period because excess water retention from being sore and then later lost that water.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If only the scale would tell you what was water, salt retention, bloating, fat loss, fat gain, muscle loss, muscle gain, etc.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert at all but just something that I've been looking into based on suggestions from a nutritionalist and a gym manager.

Refeeding generates more leptin and cortisol which boost metabolism. I don't know if that's what happened here but it could be the answer. While it still operates on an average of CICO it allows for refeeding days where you eat your full calorie allowance and therefore boosts the hormones that control appetite and metabolism.

I never heard of this until recently. It still relies on a calorie deficit though all in all (well for weight loss).
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    GillianLF wrote: »
    I'm no expert at all but just something that I've been looking into based on suggestions from a nutritionalist and a gym manager.

Refeeding generates more leptin and cortisol which boost metabolism. I don't know if that's what happened here but it could be the answer. While it still operates on an average of CICO it allows for refeeding days where you eat your full calorie allowance and therefore boosts the hormones that control appetite and metabolism.

I never heard of this until recently. It still relies on a calorie deficit though all in all (well for weight loss).

That's bro-science, plain and simple.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    preeJAY wrote: »
    You probably got used to eating smaller portions, and wasn't over-eating as much as you thought. After 3 months, I find I can't eat as much as before even when I planned to "go wild".

I would second this, I have found the same in the past; thought 'oh wow, that was a lot of food!' but when I actually log it, not anywhere near as much as I thought I was consuming!

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    GillianLF wrote: »

That's bro-science, plain and simple.

Leptin and cortisol are not bro-science. They're actual science.