Question: Planning Your Daily Intake VS Not Planning?

Options
Hello all! My question for everyone today is this: Do you like to plan your day ahead of time so you know exactly what you're going to eat all day, or do you prefer to sort of wing it and just eat as you go? Why do you prefer to do it the way you do?

Thanks all! Have a wonderful day!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    On weekdays I tend to plan out my main meals so that I know how many calories are left for snacks, and eat those as I want throughout the day. Though this is quite easy as on weekdays I tend to eat the same thing everyday.

On weekends I log as I go along. I usually have no idea what I'm doing for each meal on weekends until I'm actually eating it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, I pre-log, so I have a good idea what direction I'm going for the day. Obviously, sometimes adjustments need to be made.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'm not sure about is the flavor of ice cream I'll be having.

I plan ahead so as not to get to the end of the day with too many or too few calories and to help prevent temptation.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I pretty much plan ahead. I eat very similar breakfasts and lunches every day. We usually plan our dinners on the weekend so that we can get the right groceries. I might not know the exact portions I'll eat but I make a guess (usually overestimating) and then true them up once I actually get my plate ready for supper.
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I plan breakfast, lunch and snacks ahead of time. I pre-log them when eating breakfast.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I pretty much plan ahead. I eat very similar breakfasts and lunches every day. We usually plan our dinners on the weekend so that we can get the right groceries. I might not know the exact portions I'll eat but I make a guess (usually overestimating) and then true them up once I actually get my plate ready for supper.

This.
  • loseweightleslielove
    Options
    I think about breakfast the night before. As I'm eating/making my breakfast, I pack my snacks that I'll eat for the day, and log them. Then I pack my lunch. I leave myself with about 800-1000 calories for my afternoon snack and my dinner. When I'm at home I have more control of what I will eat rather than when I am at work. So at home, I have more dinner options and sometimes choose to have a dessert.
    But yes, plan ahead!
    I hope to get into meal planning soon.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've always been a wing it kind of person. I don't know how to do it any differently. I don't plan any further than the groceries I buy. I generally have similar meals from week to week and I have a good idea how much I'm eating as I go along. I log each meal right after I've eaten. It works for me. We all have to do what works. If it's not working, change something.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I pre-log every thing during the week and stick to it. If I have calories left over, I'll bank them for my Saturday (where I'm likely to eat more!). I don't pre-log at the weekends because things tend to just 'happen' and plans just get 'made' so it isn't realistic for me. Most of the time, I eat out at the weekend so it can be a quick 'log onto MFP to find calories' dash on the way there!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have a list for weekdays and log it as i eat it.
    weekends i wing
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my week every Sunday. Then I use my pre-logging as my grocery list to go buy groceries.

Pre-logging keeps me honest. It helps me use delayed gratification to anticipate my planned treats and stay within my calorie goals. It also saves me money, 'cause I only buy what I know I'm going to eat.

Sure, sometimes things change. Life happens. I adjust on the fly if I need to.

But for the most part, this method works for me. I lost 50 pounds this past year, and pre-logging was a big reason why.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but I wing it most of the time. My macro watching is not tight yet, so I have some wiggle room. Once I get to my last 2-3% Body Fat to lose, that will change. I also have it a bit easier with CICO because I am Intermittent Fasting. Only fatty coffee for breakfast. So that leave me with 1600 cal for the remainder of the day. I try to eat a salad for lunch or pick better options from a great place around the corner. Usually leaves me more than enough room for what we eat at dinnertime.

However, when I am on the road... I plan it all. I don't want to be stuck between hither and yon, not having any place I can find a meal I am willing to eat. That usually means I am pre-logging because I am taking my food with me.

If I am going out to eat, then I do a little recon before I go. See what they have to offer and what I find acceptable. Nothing like getting home thinking you did a good job on a tasty meal only to find out I shot myself in the foot with my uneducated choice.
  • twiggssl
    twiggssl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like to pre-log - mostly to see how big or small my next meals/can be for the day, or if I know I have something going on during the weekend (family in town, events, etc). For example, if my breakfast had higher numbers, I know that I need to watch what I am eating for lunch, dinner, and snacks.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I pre-log every evening, but sometimes it happens that I change my mind during the day.
    I am more successful when I strictly stick to my pre-logged food.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Winging it makes it harder to get in the proper amount of calories and macros. I do not recommend it in the beginning. Pre-logging is always good especially if you are going to eat out. I like to stick to the same foods daily, but my foods I choose is a very good variety. I believe having a solid plan is key to success.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Monday thru Friday I pre-log my days. I'll start with what's for dinner, work my way down to breakfast (but sometimes I'll still change things around during the day). :smiley:

Now weekends... I never know what I'm gonna eat. :yum:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Usually, it's something of a combination. I have been doing this long enough that I can pretty much know that the calories will work out (or not) in my head before I log, and how to hit my macros close enough for what I care about (basically getting my protein goal).

I normally have one of two breakfasts (similar calories) with certain rotating parts that don't affect the calories (like vegetable omelet, but the vegetables vary) with smoked salmon or cottage cheese or greek yogurt, etc.

Lunch I either am lazy and buy from one of three places with food that fits my preferences/goals near my office or bring lunch from leftovers or something I prepared in advance.

So I generally know what breakfast and lunch I will have when the day starts, although I sometimes vary it based on mood/workout plans changing.

Dinner I usually decide on during the day, but it's generally based on what (especially meat and vegetables) I have in the refrigerator or otherwise on hand and what sounds good to do with them, and if there's anything I need to use up before it goes bad.

Dessert tends to be based on how many calories I have left, if I had a snack earlier, that kind of thing.

Oh, why? I tend to plan thing out in my head in general, and this is the pattern I fell into. I prefer not prelogging, because I like to think about what I might want for dinner later in the day and to be flexible, and also because I find it annoying to log in advance and then have to change the numbers. It's less burdensome feeling for me just to do it once, and for me I haven't found prelogging to be necessary for motivation.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'm not sure about is the flavor of ice cream I'll be having.

I plan ahead so as not to get to the end of the day with too many or too few calories and to help prevent temptation.

This. Having a plan for the day reduces my risk of temptation.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    ebouchie wrote: »
    I plan breakfast, lunch and snacks ahead of time. I pre-log them when eating breakfast.

+1

I usually have similar breakfasts/lunches and know, calorie-wise, a range I want to stay within. I like to keep the bulk of my calories for dinner, so I can include an adult beverage.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Since I don't choose my meals, I get to wing it.