Quesadillas without cheese, is there such a thing???

Options

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I use red pepper hummus as the main filling for my vegan version. I add peppers and black beans and top with salsa, guacamole and cashew cream.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    absolutely. they're called burritos :)

You would be in shock to discover that in authentic Mexican cuisine, a quesadilla doesn't come with cheese.

Yes, I would be shocked, since queso = "cheese"
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    absolutely. they're called burritos :)

You would be in shock to discover that in authentic Mexican cuisine, a quesadilla doesn't come with cheese.

You are actually incorrect quesadilla is spanish for little cheesy thing...and the traditional recipe contains cheese and other fillings and is then fried...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,980 Member
    Options
    Waiting for someone to suggest that cauliflower can sub for the cheese.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Waiting for someone to suggest that cauliflower can sub for the cheese.

You go first!. LOL
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Use a slice of laughing cow or something
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    All these ideas are great--BUT, then it's not a quesadilla.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    All these ideas are great--BUT, then it's not a quesadilla.

Whatever
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    To reduce calories from cheese I use Ultra Thin cheese slices from Sargento. They come in several cheese types. A few slices will go a long way. Another trick I use is to grate my favorite extra sharp cheddar cheese with a microplane. That also really helps make my cheese calories go further!

My favorite quesadilla is grilled shrimp with or without grilled vegetables and those are pretty low cal, too and feels special.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I once had a quesadilla that had a layer of finely shredded carrots in with the cheese. I thought it was surprisingly good. The carrots added a subtle sweetness.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese and have used it as a sub for cheese.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Maybe some of these substitutions would work for you:
    http://paleoleap.com/dairy-free-paleo-cheese-substitutes/
  • charen3
    charen3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Actually, quesadillas in México don't have cheese. Filled tortilla, folded then fried. Favorites are de papas (potatoes) flor de calabaza (squash blossoms), hongos (mushrooms)
  • carolinelovesmaon
    carolinelovesmaon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you put sweet potato in it that does help to bind the ingredients better!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    cheese is life. Cotija cheese...that's on the lower end of calories and is a stronger taste.
  • rebecca_beckerz
    rebecca_beckerz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could do grilled onion and pepper with evo, with fly shrimp and seasoning, usually the good olive oil helps make it juicy.
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    remember fats are not the problem, carbs are, if you want to lose weight its the tortilla you want to lose, not the cheese
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    remember fats are not the problem, carbs are, if you want to lose weight its the tortilla you want to lose, not the cheese

Assuming one is in a calorie deficit, one will lose weight either way. You can lose weight while eating tortillas (I did).

Eating low carbohydrate is optional for weight loss.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

carbs are not a problem. fats are not a problem. sugar is not even a problem. Only calories in vs calories out matter for weight loss. Macros only make a difference in general energy and fitness levels when you're already approaching or are in, good fitness.

I can not wait for the keto fad to die like all the fads before it.

---

Just curious has anyone actually TRIED that zucchini cheese linked above? It looks.... interesting. I'm curious if it "melts"?
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Try the filling suggestions here that you might enjoy (obviously) and then sprinkle Nutritional Yeast on top. Cheesy tasting - super yum to me!