LapBand Friends

Options
Hi,
I am new here and looking for friends who have had lapband surgery.

Replies

• Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hi Regina,

I am fairly new here as well and have had the surgery. Unfortunately, I didn't have a good experience, but I have had my band for 7 years if you have any questions or just want to talk!
  • chennes
    chennes Posts: 7
    Options
    Im on a 6 months structured weightloss program for the lapband my insurance requires it and my 6 months is up next month! and I will be getting the Lapband in July or aug.
  • Bamagal36
    Bamagal36 Posts: 33
    Options
    Gennafer, what was the problem with your lapband?
  • baldwingeri
    baldwingeri Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got my lapband July 22, 2011, no regrets at this point although I am still on liquids. I just started to eat soups and such on Friday and it has been enjoyable. Trying to stick with what the doctors told me to do because I don't want to mess anything up.
  • stevoinfranklin
    Options
    Hello....Stevo here and I am now 10 days with the lapband....still on liquids and know from friends who have had this procedure
    that these first few weeks are the most challenging!!!

My advice is to stay focused and stay busy....old habits are hard to break and it is so easy to give in to temptation!!
    I just turned 60 and was watching my health go downhill....so I made this life altering choice and I am doing my d#$%&*t not to
    mess it up.

This is a great site to track what you put in your mouth....and focus on what you need to improve on...and cut back on....lol...

Good luck and good thoughts
  • FelizMi
    FelizMi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I was banded December 2009. Of the 145 total I've lost over the past 5 years, more than have I lost on my own with just exercise in the 3 years before I got banded. So, I'd say my band has been sucessful, but not as sucessful as I had hoped. I excercise a lot, but haven't lost anything this year really, just been yo yo-ing these 10 lbs. But I think that is more my fault than the band itself because I let some bad band "get around" habits slip in, like ice cream and high cal liquids, and stopped counting my calories. I have restriction, sometimes it's good, sometimes not so much. But I'm back on here because I need to get back to holding myself accountable for what I stick in my mouth!
  • Missy0104
    Options
    The first 5 weeks are totally mental. I was really depressed during that time. Once you get back on solids you feel much more "normal" again I promise!!!

I love my band. It's helped me lose 58 lbs (and keep that weight off during pregnancy) and now I'm back to lose the rest.
  • Missy0104
    Options
    I got my lapband July 22, 2011, no regrets at this point although I am still on liquids. I just started to eat soups and such on Friday and it has been enjoyable. Trying to stick with what the doctors told me to do because I don't want to mess anything up.

Why are you still on liquids this far out?? My post-op plan was one week liquid, one week full liquid, one week mushies and then I was eased back to solids. I couldn't imagine still being on liquids almost 2 months later! I was depressed with just 2 weeks of liquids!!
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My doctors could never get my fill right, and I would vomit copious amounts almost every time I got a fill, couldn't even keep my spit down. In the first year, I had 48 fills and unfills (and paid for every single one...not cheap!). After one particularly bad round of vomiting, my "lower" stomach had come up through my band and fallen over it, causing it to pinch off. I was going septic when I had emergency surgery.

I wanted so badly for my band to work for me, but it never did. I know many don't want to hear that kind of stuff when researching, but it happens. It's a serious bummer that it happened to me, but that's life, ya know? :)